Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Getting a Landlord Reference - Ideas Required

Options
  • 18-02-2007 8:43pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Myself and two friends moved into a 3-bedroom apartment in June '05. One year later, one of the two friends moves out and two people move in (thus two of us are now sharing a room).

Now before this occurred, I informed the letting agency that I wanted to make changes in the living arangements when we were renewing our tenancy. They said this should be fine. Each subsequent time I was in contact with them, I repeated my point about the living arangements changing and, whilst there was never an issue raised with this there was also no record ever made (as far as I'm aware) of who the new tenants were.

This obviously raises an issue for when my partner and I move out. I'll have the landlord reference but since they never got back to me on this matter, he'll have none for that year.

What's the best approach now for us - to contact the agency and clear up the issue even with the risk of them complaining about us sub-letting to another (despite the fact we tried to clear it up, we'd have no proof of this)? Or rent a place together and just have myself as reference?

Advice appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Contact the PRTB who are very good at dealing with incompetent and useless agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jebus, only in Ireland, as Sponge Bob says, clear it up with the PRTB.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should read the prtb site about this. My understanding is that these people are currently licensees. If you want them to become tenants, you or they need to write to the landlord or agent and request that they be made tenants.

But you should read the prtb site in detail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You should read the prtb site about this. My understanding is that these people are currently licensees. If you want them to become tenants, you or they need to write to the landlord or agent and request that they be made tenants.

But you should read the prtb site in detail.
    Just read it there - thanks for the links guys.
    My understanding now is the same as yours - they count as licensees and there's a 6 month transition period from licensee to tenant. However, we should all have moved on from the apartment by then.

Now I'm not looking at this from a legal protection issue so much as a letter of recommendation. Would an agency issue a letter of recommendation for a licensee-in-transition or are they bound for tenants only?

Advertisement