Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christie in the SINDO

• 18-02-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Sorry maybe someone can re-post Mark Christie's interview in today SINDO. Mark's interview was pretty good, but there was another article about DCU. No I dont doubt DCU's contribution, but what I dislike about it is there constant shots at the American System.
    This started after Ray Tracey's interview in the irish runner last April. America has its advantages as does DCU, but I cant stand this constant ditching of the American system by DCU.
    They are constantly going on about the failure rate of athletes going to america. If they want to go down that road why dont they compare it to the Irish footballers who go to England. There is a huge turnover of footballers going to England from ireland, there is many reasons for this drop out, the same as the athletes going to America.
    The one point I will make to DCU is to echo a statemeny by Ray Tracey. "10 years ago, UCD was the athletics college in ireland!"

Anyone like to make some points?

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i thought it was a good article, I don't know why you 'dislike' their opinions. You can disagree but it's just their opinions which I would lend a fair bit of weight and they hardly mentioned the american system just spoke about DCU, I wouldn't call it 'constant ditching (dissing?)' myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

DaveH wrote:
    The one point I will make to DCU is to echo a statemeny by Ray Tracey. "10 years ago, UCD was the athletics college in ireland!"

That statement by Ray Treacy seems a bit bitchy. Not exactly sure why UCD fizzled away but the untimely death of the legendary Noel Carroll may have had an impact. If NC was still alive who knows where Nolan and others would be now. I think its great that DCU are trying to give athletes another option, America doesn't suit all. Of course they are going to play up their college, they are after all trying to recruit the best young athletes. They must be doing something right if Providence are moved to make comments like that about a small time Irish university that is doomed to failure like UCD before it.

By the way, I have nothing against taking US scholarships, I'd recommend a young athlete to take one if they wanted to, but in my opinion whinging and moaning about a homegrown college trying to get a good programme together seems a bit parochial and narrow minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Sorry for taking so long to reply here, got caught up with a few things.
    1st of all to Tingle's point. Ray Tracey was asked what he thought of the DCU set up. His answer was there was no comparission between what DCU offered and what US scholarship scheme offers and he also wanted to point out that 10 years ago UCD was the irish athletic school.
    Definately Noel Cullen and Dr.Tony O'Neill dying have had a very negative effect on UCD.

I have no problem with what DCU offers. It would be fanastic if all the other Irish Uni's offered smiliar programmes. What I dislike was the response in particular to Ray Tracey's irish runner interview. The major difference between the Irish and US system is the races. In America you have to run 18 races in total. 6 Xcountry. 6 Indoor and 6 outdoor. That doesnt include the invitional's, the regional championships and the NCAA.

There is not the same college championship in Ireland. There is 1 xcountry, the outdoor T&F is 2 day's (heats + Finals) and 1 indoor meet. What I dislike is DCU making out how much better their system is. This is just petty jealousy.
    Some Snippet's from The SINDO piece
    Niall Moyna comments "Regardless of popular perception, its only a few Irish athletes have gone to america and made it. And done so, I believe in spite of the American system, not because of it. Sonia O'Sullivan and Eamonn Coughlan would have made it if they'd gone to Brazil."
    Rubbish! Sonia is a particular big believer of the America system. As Sonia said previously it took her a year, but she was able to concentrate on her athletics in the U.S. As is Eamonn Coughlan. He would have never got the same compettion on the indoor circut anywere else in the world.

"How Many Americann athletes have got to a final in an event above 800m in the last four olympics? Virtually none. Game Set and Match"

Ok! Well to say america have been disappointed from 100m, 200m, 400M in the last 4 olympics would be lunacy. But going by this interview we will only concnetrate on american athletes in middle distance. There was also no mention of african's who came through the american system and got to an olympic final????
    Also just to add fuel to the fire Eoin Everad of Limerick won the Intervaristies 800 in 2006 in 1.54.34. That time wouldnt have got to the final in the NCAA. In fact the winner of the NCAA championship ran faster than the European championship winner.
    Now there is pro's and Con's, but the DCU ethos is America is bad!! Im wondering will I get nailed with posts the way the Irish runner was nailed with letters in the weeks following Ray Traceys interview.

My point is here DCU are offering a very good option, but they are not the best option. Although if you tell them that...then hell will break loose.

DaveH

Advertisement