Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

automatic cars curious

Options
  • 18-02-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Learning to drive for a year now and finding the manual cars hard enough hate the gear changing etc dont have a problem driving much but was thinking the automatic car would be far easier for me. Question is I know nothing about them, only they seem easier to drive (how is is more people in Ireland dont drive them??) are they harder to insure, more expensive ?? not many of them about, how is it most other countries have them just curious really as they seem to be easier to drive that manuals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

miss choc wrote:
    Learning to drive for a year now and finding the manual cars hard enough hate the gear changing etc dont have a problem driving much but was thinking the automatic car would be far easier for me. Question is I know nothing about them, only they seem easier to drive (how is is more people in Ireland dont drive them??) are they harder to insure, more expensive ?? not many of them about, how is it most other countries have them just curious really as they seem to be easier to drive that manuals

If you do a test in an automatic you will be restricted to driving automatics.

They are a little more expensive generally and use about 10% more fuel. They also tend to have larger engines.

A lot of Irish men think that autos are for wimps and are generally suspicious of them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Automatic gearboxes are far more convenient especially around the city and when stuck in gridlock. Personally I'd never go back to manual but they're less fuel efficient, you'll replace your brakes more frequently (due to using them a lot more and not using the gearbox/engine to slow down) but other than that if you take your test in an automatic you have to drive automatics from then on as you're only licenced to drive them, you'll not be licenced to drive a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

having driven both in my short time on the road (2 years) i have to admit i'm glad i stuck with a manual gear box and passed my test in a manual. when i driving the automatic it just felt wrong, it was was like i was in one of them kiddies rides you see in supermarkets. i also felt bored there was nothing to do, no challenage and no learning curve it's just stop/go/steer.

stick with manual is the advice i'd give you'll save more money as the others above me have pointed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Like Cremo, I too have driven both manual and auto cars, and to be honest, I much prefer manuals. I like the feeling of being in full control of the car. I've gotten to the point I don't even notice myself shifting gears in traffic.

Each to their own I guess, but if I were you, do your test in a manual so you're not restricted on what you can drive afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cremo wrote:
    having driven both in my short time on the road (2 years) i have to admit i'm glad i stuck with a manual gear box and passed my test in a manual. when i driving the automatic it just felt wrong, it was was like i was in one of them kiddies rides you see in supermarkets. i also felt bored there was nothing to do, no challenage and no learning curve it's just stop/go/steer.

stick with manual is the advice i'd give you'll save more money as the others above me have pointed out

As you said....only 2 years experience. With 30 year's experience I can advise you to do your test in a manual, so allowing you choice - and then picking what you like. If you drove a car and felt it outside your control......then you need to go back for more lessons....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've driven manuals for 8 years and got an automatic last year, I wont be going back if it can be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

still good to learn in a manual, severely limits your driving in the future if you have an auto only licence

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What nialler and galwaytt said. Unless you really can not master driving a manual car, do not pass your test in an automatic. You'll restrict yourself for life. Think of emergency situations!

BTW my main cars have been automatics for over 6 years now - I love a good autobox :)

Ha! Colm beat me to it

colm_mcm wrote:
    still good to learn in a manual, severely limits your driving in the future if you have an auto only licence

Meant ot say that I passed my test in the manual. wouldnt have doen it in an auto, no point in being restricted, especially when the choice of 2nd hand auto's in this country is so limited. Unless you want to buy an old shape micra, a good few of those knocking around at the min for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can we have some new sticky threads pleaase. For Alfa's, Skoda's, and automatics.

tuxy wrote:
    Can we have some new sticky threads pleaase

No. We only do the one ;)

A 20 page thread where every post is just th eword "Octavia". Kind of like in th emovies where they catch a kid with a cigarette then make them smoke the whole pack. Everyone would be all octaviad out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

galwaytt wrote:
    As you said....only 2 years experience. With 30 year's experience I can advise you to do your test in a manual, so allowing you choice - and then picking what you like. If you drove a car and felt it outside your control......then you need to go back for more lessons....
    i did do my test in a manual and passed with flying colours.

i agree totally that you should do the test in a manual then it's up to you what you want to drive.

i don't know where you got the impression that i drove a car that was out of my control. i just said i felt automatics were boring nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

with automatics i personally feel u dont have as much control as with manuals, i.e going down gears on sharp bends etc.. then again I've only driven a toyota privia automatic so maybe it's different cos it's bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

unkel wrote:
    No. We only do the one ;)

Nice one. how about one on passing the driving test also? Although I guess you don't want the page full of stickies.

The first car I drove was a automatic. Much easier for a beginner. Stalling is an awful embarrissing experiance.

But I am making the effort to pass the test in a manual.
    Just get a good, patient teacher and loads of practice and you will be using the shifter and clutch with out thinking about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

with automatics i personally feel u dont have as much control as with manuals, i.e going down gears on sharp bends etc.. then again I've only driven a toyota privia automatic so maybe it's different cos it's bigger.

You think you're in control when changing gear on a sharp bend? Hope I'm not coming the other way.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

please remember its best to change down befoe not during

Advertisement