Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there any problem diving,if your a smoker

• 18-02-2007 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

im going geting my padi licence in june,but i was just wondering will my 20 a day smoking habit be any problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I know plenty of people in my club who are heavy smokers and use less air than I do.So no it should be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

tyther wrote:
    im going geting my padi licence in june,but i was just wondering will my 20 a day smoking habit be any problem

Smoking in iteself does not prevent you from diving.

There are some physical elements to diving and part of your course is a 200m swim and a 100m tired diver tow.

For peace of mind you should probably get a medical check up. There are names/addresses/phone numbers of diving related doctors in the stickies at the top of the forumn.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

If you give up the ciggies you may be able to just about afford the equipment..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

two quick questions is that 200m test timed and how much would all the kit cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

not timed

and you should buy online - about half price compared to irish shops
    scubastore is a great site, lots of others

a few estimates on new stuff :

wetsuit 7+7 about 200 -300
    or a drysuit and undersuit close to 1k
    reg from 150 for a perfectly good standard reg
    octo about 80
    console - 100
    weight belt and weights 50
    fins 50
    booties 20
    mask 20
    bcd 200
    smb 20
    tank 250

so over 1k in total

this is about the cheapest new gear, obviously you can pay alot more
    lots of extras also you might want such as compass, computer, torch, knife, gloves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah when I started just over 2 years ago I ended up paying around €1400 for teh essentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Try www.scubastore.com.

I bought most of my equipment except dive suits from them.They deliver within 2 days.Excellent service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 morsnowski

Just do your course and see if diving is for you, do not buy that stuff before.
    There are indications that smoking can increase the DCI risk, specially if you have a faq right after the dive. So basically the old story 'Smoking is bad for you' don't do it.
    Hey most importantly enjoy the course !

Advertisement