Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum and Bass solos - no place in songs?

• 18-02-2007 11:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move if not suited to here. I dont think its been posted before.

So whats everyone's view of drum or bass solos? HAve they a place in rock/metal music? Does it make you cringe? Does it make rip your shirt off and hail the pointy eared metal god?

Give examples to back up your opinions for either opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think they certainly have a place, and probably deserve more of a place to be honest.

Drum solos seem more suited to live settings though... I've heard more drum solos at concerts and on live recordings than anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

All good solos on any instrument have a place. All bad solos on any instrument also have a place but it's in musician hell.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anesthesia anyone?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Drum solos seem more suited to live settings though

Definately agree with this. On a cd it just wouldnt be the same, something like the tmosphere not existing on it.

ScienceNerd, excellent example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Imagine someone bust ing out something like this in the middle of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcQdMkXPzOA
    Enough said

Ps . How do you embed videos, off of youtube? I copy and pasted the code on youtube but it didnt work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Coming from a bassist, Anesthesia is pretty boring IMO. Only really listened to it when i was learning it off. Always skip past it when listening to Kill Em All.

But as said, its very rare that a drum or bass solo sounds good in a recording environment. The only examples where they actually work are The Grudge by Tool and My Generation by The Who.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anesthesia anyone?

its a cliche when this topic comes up now, are there no others? (i dont mean this in a smart way, its a genuine question!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I'd say none worth listening to anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I've never been a huge fan of bass solo's that are the entire song, i.e Anesthesia. But when it comes to songs like Money by pink floyd, Rats - Pearl Jam or even Holier Than Thou by Metallica, where the focus is on bass for a few bars of the song, then they do have a place.

Really long drum solos or drum solos outside a live situation make me cringe followed by a lot of yawning.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

faceman wrote:
    its a cliche when this topic comes up now, are there no others? (i dont mean this in a smart way, its a genuine question!)
    Well its a fairly well known song, I happen to like it and felt it would be a good example

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

of course they have a place, sadly too many bands nowadays dont have the talent to pull off a good solo of any kind, on any instrument.
    Tool are a good one to check for drum & bass solos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Drumwise, depends if it's interesting and creative or just some idiot banging the drums as fast sa they can.

For example; Matt Sorum in UYI2:Live in Tokyo - BAD
    However, Neil Peart in Rush in Rio - GOOD

Bass solos? Definately. Listen to YYZ by Rush, fantastic stuff. I love Geddy Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Drum and Bass solos should only exist in studio versions of songs for very very short durations a good example is the Bass solo on Rhapsody's Land Of Immortals. Live? sure, go crazy, but definitly not on studio tracks. Unless you are a bass focused band like Primus or Stanley Clarke or if Billy Sheehan is in your band. And drum solos on an album track would have to be very interesting indeed to get away with it being much longer than a few bars, unless its In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly, but that was 1968, they didnt know any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I think they DEFFINATELY have a place in music.....ok if the solo parts on bass and drums are dull,,just there for the heck of it and uninteresting,.,.,then forget it,....but a few bands are veryy good at it...have said it over and over ..listen to any RUSH instrumental and those guys pull off some magic bass solos and drum solo moments in songs.,..that really work and showcase their abilities as musicians while being entertaining.
    Longer drum solo pieces are for a live show,,and you need to be original ass possible and entertaining to make people enjoy them...mind you they are rare these days..so those who do them tend to get a good reaction in Ireland anyway...as long as its not boring and dull. Those who think they have noo place in songs etc...obviously havent heard the likes of YYZ or la Villa Strangiato by Rush or stuff of that quality...so I'd tend to laugh off their dismisive attitude...most folks thinking like that simply lack imagination in the first place.

ciao' amigos...Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Drum and Bass solos should only exist in studio versions of songs for very very short durations a good example is the Bass solo on Rhapsody's Land Of Immortals. Live? sure, go crazy, but definitly not on studio tracks. Unless you are a bass focused band like Primus or Stanley Clarke or if Billy Sheehan is in your band. And drum solos on an album track would have to be very interesting indeed to get away with it being much longer than a few bars, unless its In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly, but that was 1968, they didnt know any better.
    I forgot about Primus, Primus suck!

And In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida rocks! All 17 minutes!
    Incidentally, greatest Simpsons moment ever!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Drumwise, depends if it's interesting and creative or just some idiot banging the drums as fast sa they can.

For example; Matt Sorum in UYI2:Live in Tokyo - BAD
    However, Neil Peart in Rush in Rio - GOOD

Bass solos? Definately. Listen to YYZ by Rush, fantastic stuff. I love Geddy Lee.
    ^QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I forgot about Primus, Primus suck!

And In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida rocks! All 17 minutes!
    Incidentally, greatest Simpsons moment ever!

Primus own you. And yeah, that is indeed an awesome clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Stay clean, Motorhead song, there's a bass solo in that.
    Fu Manchu often have Bass solos.
    I dont care what any guitar obsessed moaners say, I'm a bass player mostly, and play guitar too, bass solos are cool!

Drums solos... i only like them in live stuff

Decapitated have a few drum solos - short, tastefully done, and Kyuss have some bass solos. Green Machine rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Partial to the bass solos in My Generation and Maxwell Murder, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Saxon have a bass solo song on one of their albums, Excellent stuff :cool:

Drum solos are goddamn boring though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

anateasthesia ( cant spell it but ya get the point) is an okay solo its a bit boring but ya cant deny that cliff burton rocked. but john myung wipes the floor clean. he ia amazing. his solo in metropolis part one is soo cool. bass solos can make a song but as for drum solos they only work live. that led zeppelin one which that name slips my mind only works on the live dvd not the c.d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChainFireMetal

yeh i have to agree with the sentiment that drum solos are more suited live, well excesive long ones anyway! As for bass solos (being a bassist) i definately think they work sometimes, ( call of the ktulu bass solos, u have to listen for them but they rock) but i'd be more partial to runs and fills and intros, i mean dave jr(megadeth, im not even gonna try his second name, elevston?) is an amazing bassist and he hardly ever plays solos. i guess it depends on the song.
    </random string of thoughts>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Depends on a lot of things.. so long as its tasteful, hell yeah. Being a bassist and being partial to drums I'd say yeah, but its best live or if on an album, so long as it doesnt drag on for long. The idea is to keep it focused as a band rather than on a single musician for the whole thing. Even Primus ("we suck!") keep it strong on the band front, and a lot of tunes have Les not going over the top with bass. Even though he plays crazy and fairly technical stuff, he still holds the rhythm down which is important.

Advertisement