Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

175kphish on motorway, came round the bend and saw cops and braked immediately. they were a a few hundred yards up
    A classic example of how a speed camera could cause an accident. He could have skidded and lost control when breaking.

Ever notice how people automatically break when they see a speed camera, even if they are under the limit. I think they should publish the locations of all speed checks.

Anyway OP, you should enter the details of the speed trap location on www.irishspeedtraps.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hey guys just a little curious, have read through the thread but am still a little unclear, I was doing about 140 on the M7 on saturday and there was a cop car parked on the side of the road with what looked like a speed gun, do they have to pull you over to give the ticket or can they post it out. I'm not sure if there was a camera but there was no flash. Would i have been caught?

Also it's my g/f's car but obviously i was driving it, will the points go straight to her or what will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

A classic example of how a speed camera could cause an accident. He could have skidded and lost control when breaking.

If the above poster wasn't breaking the speed limit they there would have been no reason for his abrupt braking, he could have easily lost control killing himself or some innocent driver. From what I have seen a lot of Irish drivers are like sheep, if one driving is breaking the speed limit there is nearly always one close behind, strenght in numbers. If there had of been another speeder behind the above driver could be easily be a short column in todays newspaper.

DonJose wrote:
    If the above poster wasn't breaking the speed limit they there would have been no reason for his abrupt braking, he could have easily lost control killing himself or some innocent driver.
    Well as I said already, you will notice people brake suddenly when they see a speed trap even if they are driving below the speed limit. It's a natural reaction.
    DonJose wrote:
    From what I have seen a lot of Irish drivers are like sheep, if one driving is breaking the speed limit there is nearly always one close behind, strenght in numbers.
    It's not just Irish drivers, I noticed the same in other countries I have driven in, i.e. UK, US, Italy and Spain.
    DonJose wrote:
    If there had of been another speeder behind the above driver could be easily be a short column in todays newspaper.
    Yup, which makes me wonder why they stick speed traps on relatively safe dual-carriageways and motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

DonJose wrote:
    If there had of been another speeder behind the above driver could be easily be a short column in todays newspaper.

Only if the one behind isn't keeping a safe distance giving them time to react and pre-empt the situation.

In my opinion, in a lot of cases it's very safe to drive above the speed limit. Sure look at a lot of the roads who have had their limits decreased just because MPH changed to KMPH, 60MPH has now turned into 50MPH in a lot of areas, on Motorways 70MPH has turned to 75MPH, does this mean somebody going 75MPH back when the limit was 70 was driving unsafely just because they were breaking the speed limit?

Speed limits are really only there as a guidance for those who can't determine a safe speed to travel for the area and its surroundings. Anyone who goes 79km through a blind, tight bend on a country road with a limit of 80, or 49km past a school road when school has just finished in a 50 zone is much worse than somebody going 150 on a safe motorway with a limit of 120.

One of the best and safest displays of driving I've ever been part of was on my way back from Wexford one day, myself and 3 other cars were travelling for about 20 miles together, keeping perfect distance and overtaking other cars (indicating in and out of lane) and only staying in the overtaking lane, when overtaking:eek: etc etc etc.. but... we were all going between 130 and 140 (and obviously less if need be) in a 100 zone. Breaking the speed limit but safe to do so. Bare in mind that this is a route which has been suggested to have a 120km limit before afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

cormie wrote:
    Speed limits are really only there as a guidance.
    In those few words, you have summed up what the majority of Irish drivers think of speed limits. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Drax wrote:
    In those few words, you have summed up what the majority of Irish drivers think of speed limits. :rolleyes:

hehe, well without quoting my full sentence, it's brought a whole new meaning to them words. Since the majority of users on our roads can't determine what speed to go without knowing the legal limits, they should be adhered to by the majority of road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I got caught by the same type of speed gun. 2 penalty points and had my wallet lightened by €80. I received a letter 6 weeks after being zapped. With regard to most of the comments that I've read, I think that we all realise that his speed was a little bit on the high side, but I think we should try and stick to the original question. No amount of giving out is going to change his driving style, so it just ain't worth it. We can only be responsible for our own driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yakuza wrote:
    At best, at that speed you'll find yourself coming up the ar5e of someone doing, say, "only" 130-140kph and having to either brake or swerve, both of which have potentially fatal consequences.
    A few people have made comments like the above. It makes me wonder if you have ever driven on a motorway.

Other than the section of the M50 in the mountains, where the limit is 100kmph, on a motorway you should be able to see several kilometres ahead. So the above situation should not happen unless you have cataracts or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I was told the laser guns can detect your speed from either a mile and half or a kilometre and half.

Can't remember which it is.

And taking the morale high ground here ........ YOUR A PLONKER!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

TheNog wrote:
    I was told the laser guns can detect your speed from either a mile and half or a kilometre and half.

Can't remember which it is.

And taking the morale high ground here ........ YOUR A PLONKER!!!!!!!!!!

Taking the moral high ground on spelling... its "you're".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anan1 wrote:
    As far as I know, cameras are sited either in boxes or in vans. I've never heard of a Guard actually manning a camera, as far as I know they use laser or radar guns and pull you on the spot.
    There are a few alright doing the rounds esp in Laois and Louth.
    Anan1 wrote:
    It's all down to conditions, really. 175km/h on a motorway may be perfectly safe, 40km/h past a school may be much too fast. For what it's worth, I don't think the OP is going to hear any more from the Guards about this.
    I agree about the inappriopriate speeds. However, one persons idea of appropriate is different from anothers.
    I don't think the OP will hear about it either.
    I believe it's safe to do fast speeds on a motorway, the speed limit should be adhered to on national roads and urban roads. Today I stuck to the spedd limit on the motorways and all other roads.. I think I've learnt my lesson, you never know where the Gardai will crop up!! :)
    That should read I believe it's possible to do fast speeds on a motorway where the conditions permit.

Strictly speaking you should not need to break on a motorway (M50 excluded)! If you need to break then in theory you are going too fast for the conditions!
    Ever notice how people automatically break when they see a speed camera, even if they are under the limit. I think they should publish the locations of all speed checks.
    I live near enough to the Spa Hotel. I see this every day. Its because most drivers are oblivious to the current speed limit and their own speed!
    Noelie wrote:
    I was doing about 140 on the M7 on saturday and there was a cop car parked on the side of the road with what looked like a speed gun, do they have to pull you over to give the ticket or can they post it out. I'm not sure if there was a camera but there was no flash. Would i have been caught?
    You can be caught as follows:
    * Fixed camera (Gatso) at the side of the road (it flashes for each of the two pics taken if manual checking is required) - not all gatso boxes have a camera but they still flash
    * Gatso van - unmarked transit van discreetly parked on the side of a road - no flash
    * unmarked car - pic taken no need to stop speeding driver
    * garda with tripod - a few have camera units but most don't so they need to pull the driver over
    * garda witness - two or more gardai swear that the driver was over the limit.
    * I can't think of any more!
    Noelie wrote:
    Also it's my g/f's car but obviously i was driving it, will the points go straight to her or what will happen?
    Jebus, what are you worried about then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

kbannon wrote:
    * garda with tripod - a few have camera units but most don't so they need to pull the driver over

Whats the point in having these if they dont have camera units and they don't pull over the driver??

I didn't say that the ones who don't pull the driver over don't have camera units!

The gardai (without camera units) who stand at the side of the road would have some kind of threshold where they will nab drivers. Assuming the driver is over their limit they will then pull them over. The threshold may be 110km/h (in a 100km/h zone). The speeding driver may need to do a recorded 120km/h to reach their threshold due to speedo inaccuracies.
    Anyhow, I have not heard that this practice has been stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

First off - I posted last night at 2am - I was tired and grumpy!
    I didn't mean to take any moral ground, just point out the madness of doing that speed on an Irish motorway.
    ballooba wrote:
    A few people have made comments like the above. It makes me wonder if you have ever driven on a motorway.

Of course I have - in 10 countries spread over 3 continents. And the ****tiest driving standards are here, by a long way. I'm no saint either, I don't see a problem cruising at 130/140, but 175 is taking the pi5s.

I accept the point that an indicated 175 may be 160/165, but 15km not a huge difference at that speed.

Your car's kinetic energy is proportional to the square of your speed, so a car going at 180 has 2.25 times more energy than someone going at 120 - that's over twice the braking distance / time needed to stop
    ballooba wrote:
    Other than the section of the M50 in the mountains, where the limit is 100kmph, on a motorway you should be able to see several kilometres ahead. So the above situation should not happen unless you have cataracts or something.

If you're doing 60 kph more than the car infront of you (180 vs 120 - keeping it easy for the sums!), and they are 1km apart (some chance on the car park that is the M50), you're going to be up there arse in 1 minute. If the cars are 500m apart, you'll be up their arse in 30 seconds. So, every 30 seconds you are going to have to perform some kind of manoevre, probably braking, unless you slow down to something approaching what the other road users are doing. That's a lot of opportunities for something do go wrong.

If you want to give your car a burn, fine, but I don't think the Irish motorways are the place for it - track days or continental autoroutes / autobahns, and you'll be able to do it much more safely.

I am still amazed, at the attitude - displayed in fine evidence on these boards that speed limits are only a guideline, and that we're all innately brilliant drivers; a nation of Michael Schumachers. We should all enter the F1 and we'd have it sewn up.

Yakuza wrote:
    If you're doing 60 kph more than the car infront of you (180 vs 120 - keeping it easy for the sums!), and they are 1km apart (some chance on the car park that is the M50), you're going to be up there arse in 1 minute. If the cars are 500m apart, you'll be up their arse in 30 seconds. So, every 30 seconds you are going to have to perform some kind of manoevre, probably braking, unless you slow down to something approaching what the other road users are doing. That's a lot of opportunities for something do go wrong.
    That's assuming all the cars are either 1km apart or 500m apart. That's a busy motorway. (BTW we're quite obviously not talking about the M50 here)

Your argument does not hold water. You should be able to see a car ahead from a lot further than 1km away, on a motorway. Stopping distance at that speed is 390 metres.

Well I came home tonight and didn't have to brake once and there was 3 speedchecks.. (for all you moaners I'm learning):rolleyes:

Three speedchecks!!!! What's your commute?!?

I haven't seen a speedcheck in about 3 weeks. That one was on Cuffe St, Dublin 2. Before that it was probably christmas time.

I drive Dublin to Carlow.. N9/M7/M9 .. yeh i thought it was funny to speed checks within half a mile of each other obviously to catch those who speed up after 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yup, which makes me wonder why they stick speed traps on relatively safe dual-carriageways and motorways.
    Why do you think!!!!!!! To reach the targets the politicians have set them for the number of tickets to be issued. All this in the name of 'safety', what a load of crap.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Ninja 900: You might add one to your sig there. Daytime running lights, the amount of muppets driving around the gloom in Dublin today with no lights on. The mind boggles.

yeh revenue for the government is great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

About 1% of speed checks are on motorways, which is about right.
    mloc123 wrote:
    Speed doesn't kill, poor driving does.
    Poor driving causes accidents, high speed kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ballooba wrote:
    Ninja 900: You might add one to your sig there. Daytime running lights, the amount of muppets driving around the gloom in Dublin today with no lights on. The mind boggles.

No thanks. The law already says you must use dipped headlights in poor daytime visibility, therefore it's an education/enforcement problem not a legislative problem. Why do we always think that the answer to any problem is yet more unenforced/unenforceable legislation?

DRLs are very bad news for vulnerable road users - cyclists and pedestrians who can't "compete" with the wattage eveyrone else will be throwing out - and for motorcyclists in particular. Most motorcyclists choose to use headlights in daytime to be seen against the not-lit-up background of traffic, if everyone had lights then any advantage from using daytime lights on a bike would be lost. The only possible beneficiaries from DRL are car occupants who are already the best protected road users.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I rode bikes for years and years, and when I got a car, I left the lights on in daytime out of sheer habit. Still do.

I have also passed several speedchecks in quick succession. Most notably on the Lucan road ( N4) at, and after, The Spa Hotel.

You have the Gatso there at the Spa, then there was another just after the roadworks at Woodies, and then they were sitting at the actual roundabout in an SUV.

Victor wrote:
    high speed kills.
    Thats right - ask Richard hammond! :D

(point taken Victor!)

Victor wrote:

And what about dual-carriageways (non-motorway)?

Where did you get this 1% figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Victor wrote:

Government plans are to have less than 3% of speed checks on Motorways and dual carriageways and more speed checks at weekends than on weekdays. Roughly 11 million speed checks will be carried out annually with20% of speed checks overt and 80% covert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

DonJose wrote:
    with20% of speed checks overt and 80% covert.

Yup, it's all about safety, right?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

99% of speedcheck ive seen are on main roads, usually dual or motorway
    and usually close to where the speed limit changes, ie purposely to catch people as the limit changes and hence generate more money.

going 4kph over in an 80 zone and getting done is not going to prevent road deaths, they need to target the people doing 120 on windy back roads!

Advertisement