Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alfa thread- easy now

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

im on my 3rd Alfa. Currently a 04 156 lusso from new. took it around europe last summer, it was a dream and turned heads most places! There def seems something special about an alfa. One thing though i do miss is a decent cup holder! I have just started to get a knocking noise either coming from the suspension or engine mounts. Car does seem to judder a bit when pulling away and its not a revs problem. Due for a service in the next month so will bring it up with dealer then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Got my owners manual, code card etc today
    and finally got the VLC to sign--- 1 lady owner in kildare-- clutch is rock sollid in fairness to her :)

discovered that little compartment in the armrest-- all wrapped in selotape inside is the 2nd key, in about 3 or 4 parts-- the remote locking button is missing on this one too, so think previous owner had alarm issues.. not overly concerned.

The guy that sold it to me is gonna take a look at the stat next week, but not too worried about that either as when i got to playing with the trip planner today it showed MPG of 42 --- I may have a magic stat and i've been pushing her more since the abuse earlier.... :D

One thing though

I have NEVER NEVER NEVER been so paronoid about a car in my life :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wegner

Alfa's are bangers in my opinion along with Fiat. Stay well clear. Toyota and Nissan are the only good cars out there these days- reliability wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

wegner wrote:
    Alfa's are bangers in my opinion along with Fiat. Stay well clear. Toyota and Nissan are the only good cars out there these days- reliability wise.

obviously you're not reading the OP's posts, and how he's happy he made the leap.........
    and as soon as you can tell us how many you've owned, we'll listen to ya.........otherwise, here, have some salt..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

wegner wrote:

And it took 2 pages of an Alfa thread before the bashing started this time.

That must be a record on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

wegner wrote:

I worked in a Nissan dealership and with a couple of ex Toyota mechanics. If you think they're all that, I'm sure you'll be very happy. Don't know where people pick up this folklore regarding jap cars. Nissan are built in the U.K. ffs. That's where Rover, Vauxhall and LDV vans come from.

With regards to the Alfa stat, that sounds fine. Cars run cool on the open road with the airflow through the rad, and heat up when stationary due to lack of airflow. The fan kicks in at 90 to reduce the temp and will do so every time the needle hits 90. Maybe I picked it up wrong, but it sounds as if the stat, guage and fan switch are all working correctly.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

wegner wrote:

Give that poster a clap.

What a clear, founded, concise & neutral comment to make :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

wegner wrote:
    so in your opinion, what are you basing it on? Have you ever owned an Alfa?

just to update this--- becoming a tad less paronoid about my alfa-- over 1700 miles on her now since I got her and and she's still a joy to drive-- and averaging 40 mpg:rolleyes: despite my best efforts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

bazz26 wrote:
    And it took 2 pages of an Alfa thread before the bashing started this time.

That must be a record on this forum.
    Sorry about that I was on holidays.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

wegner wrote:

A few points

1. You never hear anyone say about their primera or micra or coralla "omg this is the best car, drives well, great gear box, and handles like a dream", hmm why is this? Maybe because their boring cars. Yet an Alfa driver will frequently rant about their driving machine.

2. It only seems to be non-alfa owners that say theyre crap. I have a 166, my brothers last car was a 156. Neither of us has had any major problems.

Although....................

Have noticed that now the temp gauge shoots up to 90 after about 5-10 min driving and fan always on. Should I be scared? Although is due for a sevice in 2 months.

Thermostat or Radiator or Water pump!! What Litre Engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

junkyard wrote:
    Sorry about that I was on holidays.:)
    Ah wondered where you were Junkyard! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Mike07 wrote:
    Thermostat or Radiator or Water pump!! What Litre Engine?

2L twin spark.

Should I get the car serviced straight away then do you think?

MAybe it was always like this any just never noticed before.

I am very much a novice but your post jogged my memory on something I saw on alfaowner. com before--

"It has a 2-speed fan. It is supposed to cut in on low speed and in most cases, that will bring the temperature down. If it doesn't, it goes up to high speed. In his case, he had very similar symptoms to yours and it turned out his low speed wasn't working so the engine was going past the temperature at which the low speed fan setting should have come in and it didn't come on until the temperature for the high speed setting was reached. At this point, it would come on at high speed and drop the temperature pretty rapidly. I believe there is a resistor block somewhere near the top of the radiator, hung on the fan cowl."

I'd get it looked at-- If you turn off and on the engine does the fan come back on immediately? If it doesnt-- it's probably just the sensor.

Post a query on AlfaOwner.com-- You will get loads of answers, some of which will be from people who know what they are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

cantdecide wrote:
    friend of mine fell head over heels for a 156. and why not- it is a car worth liking. it's a hell of a lot better than the 206 he had in mind for a lot more money.
    QUOTE]

Would that be the girlie model 206?

Advertisement