Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another recommendation request thread!

Options
  • 19-02-2007 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I reckon these threads could nearly make a forum of their own... Anyhow, as much as I hoped it wouldn't happen again, my annual car hunt is on. Although I do love my car, I think I'm looking for more of a comfy "cruiser", especially as I hope to get a classic next year as a fun weekend car.

I think the wish list is:
    • Under 10K
    • At least as quick as my current car, but I reckon I will have problems with insurance on anything over 2 litre.
    • If automatic, then it definitely has to have enough grunt for overtaking
    • Leather (don't care about it being hot in the summer etc, I really want leather!)
    • Must look decent enough, have no real problems admitting that image would be at least a small factor
    • no lunar mileage
    • toys are always good!
    • Reasonable MPG (30+)
    • bigger than my 3 series
    • saloon / estate - not a fan of pointless SUVs.

The car doesn't need all of those features, but as many as possible would be good.

Off the top of my head, the BMW 520, Merc C180, Saab 95 look good, but although the Sonata looks great value for money, the interior looks incredibly drab. Likewise, the Camry - although an obvious choice - just looks too dull.

thanks in advance,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sonata, Camry and Maxima all fit the bill size-wise and are within budget. Good value for money for the A-B merchant of course, but they're all crap :)

The C-class is too small but the E39 5-series can now be had for peanuts. Beware of UK imports and the Nikasil issue though. I have always liked Saabs myself, but more recent ones aren't really the same thing as the Saabs of old

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:
    Sonata, Camry and Maxima all fit the bill size-wise and are within budget. Good value for money for the A-B merchant of course, but they're all crap :)

The C-class is too small but the E39 5-series can now be had for peanuts. Beware of UK imports and the Nikasil issue though. I have always liked Saabs myself, but more recent ones aren't really the same thing as the Saabs of old

Thanks Unkel - the Sonata, Camry and Maxima do tick some of the boxes, but they are the most uninspired yokes ever! Would be way too much of a compromise.

The e39 is leading the charge so far, although I really like the look of the Saab, despite all the potential downsides to it.

My insurance company said they wouldn't quote me on a 330D last year, so I would imagine that they don't cover anything over 2L engines. Otherwise, I'd be going V8 in some guise, and just take the hit on the tax and the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote:

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the 3.0 Maxima myself. I reckon it's one of those cars where the whole is a lot more than the sum of its parts. Had a 1990 3.0V6 once - the speedo stopped working so I fitted a laser jammer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Probably hard to find a maxima that isnt a taxui though. I cant remember ever seeign one that didnt have either a taxi or hackney plate. Similar with the camry only I have seen a few non taxi's.

Honda Legend? http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=589136 It's at the upper end of the engine size section though.:)

Stekelly wrote:
    Probably hard to find a maxima that isnt a taxui though. I cant remember ever seeign one that didnt have either a taxi or hackney plate. Similar with the camry only I have seen a few non taxi's.

Honda Legend? http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=589136 It's at the upper end of the engine size section though.:)

That's not bad at all. I'll chance my arm and get a quote, but think that could be pushing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, I'm a fan of the Legend myself. It's on my future list.

Theres actually 2 more on carzone for a few quid more €10,750 and €11,250. Both have been on for a few months now so could probably be got for under €10k handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As a ranked outsider how about a Lexus GS300:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=579485

I know they don't have the same social standing or kudus to some people as a Merc or BMW but they are a comfortable cruiser and have most toys as standard. Alot less common than a 5 Series or E Class which every Tom, Dick or Harry seems to have these days.

Or if the road tax is killing how about a Rover 75:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=583650

bazz26 wrote:
    As a ranked outsider how about a Lexus GS300:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=579485

I know they don't have the same social standing or kudus to some people as a Merc or BMW but they are a comfortable cruiser and have most toys as standard. Alot less common than a 5 Series or E Class which every Tom, Dick or Harry seems to have these days.

Or if the road tax is killing how about a Rover 75:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=583650

The lexus was very high up my list actually, but I think the insurance would be a no-go. I'm sort of tied into my company at the moment, and they don't seem to like > 2l cars. I drove the 4L saloon last year, and it was a very relaxing experience.

The rover could be a good dark horse, though out of all the cars listed so far, it's a little bit "old man" for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eoin_s wrote:
    The lexus was very high up my list actually, but I think the insurance would be a no-go. I'm sort of tied into my company at the moment, and they don't seem to like > 2l cars. I drove the 4L saloon last year, and it was a very relaxing experience.

The rover could be a good dark horse, though out of all the cars listed so far, it's a little bit "old man" for me!

Yeah the 75 is a bit "pipe and slippers" alright.

Hopefully Unkel won't read this though. :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'm leaning towards the 5 series, as they seem to be pretty good value for money (even for BMWs). The Lexus would be nice, but pretty sure I'll get shot down when I go to get a quote. I'd say it could be a thirsty car as well.

I love the looks of the Saab, but it could be a bit of a money pit. Having said that, I would be very slow to listen to what someone heard about their parent's friend's cousin's Saab (having driven a 156 for 2 years without one issue!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

How about, an Alfa 166?

http://tinyurl.com/2zo2ec

P

prospect wrote:
    How about, an Alfa 166?

http://tinyurl.com/2zo2ec

P

That could also be a contender Prospect, thanks for that. Going to ring broker now and get some prices. fingers crossed!

One more to throw into the mix: Volvo S80?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

how about this?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=607112

ok, no leather and a 2.5 litre but well under budget and the money you've saved could go towards paying the little extra each year for the road tax. Plus it gets more to the gallon than the 2litre engine did.

And the bonus is, I know the seller ;)

Lex Luthor wrote:
    how about this?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=607112

ok, no leather and a 2.5 litre but well under budget and the money you've saved could go towards paying the little extra each year for the road tax. Plus it gets more to the gallon than the 2litre engine did.

And the bonus is, I know the seller ;)

Very nice - the road tax and running costs aren't really a huge concern, it's just the insurance situation. If they will insure me over 2 litres, then I'll probably go for a 2.5 or 3 litre car.

I haven't even put my car up for sale yet and that can take ages, so I think the seller that you know will have easily sold it by then anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I reckon you'll struggle to get 30mpg+ out of a 520 auto unless most of your driving is 60-75mph dual cabbageway/mway runs. If you spend much time in towns the same could be true of a manual.

Time to prioritise the wish list?

That 523 does look a lot of car for the money, even though I think auto boxes and leather should be compulsory on a 5er.

I doubt I'll go for the 520 auto - a few people have said that the engine is a little sluggish for the car at the best of times, so would go for a manual in that case.

Great stuff - I can get quoted & the policy renewed on both the Lexus GS300 and the 525. They wouldn't renew me (last year anyway) on a 330d for some reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

prospect wrote:

Actually, always liked the 607 - honestly can't figure out why so many people hate it (though maybe the "new engine" mentioned in the advert may be a clue!). I'd be wary of buying the cheapest one available too.

The A8 is a beast as well, though I think 3 litres may be my maximum!

Thanks again :)

Edit: A6 - good option, but I'm way too young for the Jag :D

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I think it's going to be a 523 - very common I know, but I think it's probably a good mixture of comfort and a driver's car. Now for the hassle of selling mine privately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

eoin_s wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I think it's going to be a 523 - very common I know, but I think it's probably a good mixture of comfort and a driver's car. Now for the hassle of selling mine privately :(

I have a 523i auto/tiptronoc. Have to say it is a beauty to drive and loads of power for overtaking. Parts can be a bit pricey if something goes wrong. The only thing is that I dont have leather but I am not too concerned about that. If you dont mind the price of tax i'd say go for one. My insurance is around the €500 for the year which aint too bad (Fully comp).
    This dont look a bad one for less thatn €8000
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=589975

gafarrell wrote:
    I have a 523i auto/tiptronoc. Have to say it is a beauty to drive and loads of power for overtaking. Parts can be a bit pricey if something goes wrong. The only thing is that I dont have leather but I am not too concerned about that. If you dont mind the price of tax i'd say go for one. My insurance is around the €500 for the year which aint too bad (Fully comp).
    This dont look a bad one for less thatn €8000
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=589975

Thanks - would hope that the parts wouldn't be that much dearer than the ones for my 320d, so hopefully that won't hurt too much. I use an excellent independent garage for my servicing too.

Insurance will only be a couple of hundred more (probably twice what you're paying though), and the tax will be a pain but not overly concerned.

Leather isn't the most important thing, but it would be a very nice bonus. I only have cloth in mine, and was even considering getting it re-trimmed.

That car you posted isn't bad at all - though I think tiptronic is my number one preference. Do all the auto boxes have tiptronic, or only some models? I'd like some involvement with the driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

You drive a 320d right Eoin? Just wondering what you would be selling it for/mileage/extras it has?

Elessar wrote:
    You drive a 320d right Eoin? Just wondering what you would be selling it for/mileage/extras it has?

Not 100% sure about the price yet as the price range is quite wide for the 320d.

It's got 109K on the clock, and is a 2000 model in titanium silver.

I've had the following done to it since I bought it:
    • Replica MV2 18" Alloys
    • Eibach Pro lowering springs
    • Angel Eye lights
    • Wood trim dash, gear knob and handbrake handle (latter still to be fitted)
    • Replica elec & heated M3 Mirrors (just fitted last week - they transform the car!)
    • Chrome dash rings
    • Clear indicators all around (orange ones look awful) with rear and front silver bulbs (removes the "scrambled egg" look of orange bulbs in clear lenses)
    • Matt black front grill cover

And as standard:
    Air Con
    Leather Multi-function steering wheel with cruise control and stereo controls.
    6 CD changer - not very good though. I bought an OEM iPod conversion kit that will replace the CD changer, but haven't fitted it yet.
    Elec windows (front only)

Excuse the poor picture quality. This is a better quality picture, but before I had the clear side lenses, and M3 mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

eoin_s wrote:
    That car you posted isn't bad at all - though I think tiptronic is my number one preference. Do all the auto boxes have tiptronic, or only some models? I'd like some involvement with the driving!

AFAIK that it is not all the boxes have tiptronic. I might be wrong. Been honest dont use it all that much but when I do it can be fun :D.

This is a nice one here. I's say if you pushed it you get it for €10000 but again no leather. Not too sure i seen muxh tiptronics with leather.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=570162

gafarrell wrote:
    AFAIK that it is not all the boxes have tiptronic. I might be wrong. Been honest dont use it all that much but when I do it can be fun :D.

This is a nice one here. I's say if you pushed it you get it for €10000 but again no leather. Not too sure i seen muxh tiptronics with leather.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=570162

I think I'd like the option of the tiptronic, even if I wouldn't use it all that much - "better looking at it, than for it"! It would definitely win over leather.

That's a nice one you listed - perhaps a tiny bit steep for the year, but the condition and mileage would make up for it. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

eoin_s wrote:
    Not 100% sure about the price yet as the price range is quite wide for the 320d.

It's got 109K on the clock, and is a 2000 model in titanium silver.

I've had the following done to it since I bought it:
    • Replica MV2 18" Alloys
    • Eibach Pro lowering springs
    • Angel Eye lights
    • Wood trim dash, gear knob and handbrake handle (latter still to be fitted)
    • Replica elec & heated M3 Mirrors (just fitted last week - they transform the car!)
    • Chrome dash rings
    • Clear indicators all around (orange ones look awful) with rear and front silver bulbs (removes the "scrambled egg" look of orange bulbs in clear lenses)
    • Matt black front grill cover

And as standard:
    Air Con
    Leather Multi-function steering wheel with cruise control and stereo controls.
    6 CD changer - not very good though. I bought an OEM iPod conversion kit that will replace the CD changer, but haven't fitted it yet.
    Elec windows (front only)

Excuse the poor picture quality. This is a better quality picture, but before I had the clear side lenses, and M3 mirrors.

Nice, way out of my price range though definately! I'll just get a nice silver 318iSE and add some of those mods to it over a few years :D Good luck with the hunt!

Elessar wrote:
    Nice, way out of my price range though definately! I'll just get a nice silver 318iSE and add some of those mods to it over a few years :D Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks! Good luck with your hunt as well. You'd probably pick one of them up for a couple of grand less than the diesel alright. Nice example here. If you end up going for one, sign up to www.bmw-driver.net - very helpful lads there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eoin_s wrote:
    I'd be going V8 in some guise, and just take the hit on the tax and the juice.

Some of us are quite happy that way :D

BTW my insurance quote on a same year same mileage same value 523 2.5 straight 6 auto was higher than on my 735 3.5 V8 auto!

If you do low mileage and are willing to cough up the annual €1343 tax (ouch), then it could make sense to get a big V8 monster. It's a buyers market for these, so they are incredibly cheap to buy. My 735 cost the same as a similar condition basic spec 523!
    bazz26 wrote:
    Yeah the 75 is a bit "pipe and slippers" alright.

Hopefully Unkel won't read this though. :D

LOL, I've always said it! The only big Rover that wasn't "pipe and slippers" in the looks department was the Vitesse imho:

rover2.jpg

Advertisement