Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asp.net help

Options
  • 19-02-2007 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello,

I am learning asp.net by following a tutorial on http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/Blogging/default.aspx but the version of visual web developer that I have installed updates the code to asp.net 2. If I don't add the references to system, system.web etc it gives me warning or error messages but for some reason, after I add these references, it builds without errors but I cant find the dll file in the /bin directory.

The application runs without any errors locally when debugging in visual web developer but if I uplode it I don't get anywhere.

I have two questions:
    1. How can I get the local site to show errors remotely?
    2. How to I get it to compile this dll file?

I know these are simple questions and I'll probably find an answer to question 1 in a few minutes but I really don't understand why it's not compiling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

where are you uploading to?
    you have to upload to a server the supports .NET.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

For the build you will need to get the Web Deploy projects add in or tell it to compile into DLLs in the property pages

For the errors

See the http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h0hfz6fc.aspx

Use the customErrors mode="Off"

Also you will need to configure the website to use the .NET 2.0 Framework. If its using 1.1 you will probably get an error about the web.config and xml:ns

Use the website config tool in IIS to set this up and if its on IIS 6.0 you will probably need a different thread pool if there are multiple versions of the framework

Make sure that the server you are uploading to supports .NET 2.0

You can also use the command line aspnet_compiler to precompile your files as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Darragh-o-h

Thanks for your response.

Yes. the site supports .net 2.

I'll try checking the properties of the site later to ensure it's compiling into a dll but I don't see why that would stop. It's a good point though.

Thanks for your help. Keep it coming if possible. This is all a bit daunting and very frustrating at the moment. asp seems simple in comparason.

If the site supports more .NET 1.1 & 2.0 and is running in IIS6.0 you will have to put your application in a different thread pool

If you tell me the error we can probably get you up and running.

Just thought of something, are you doing this in release or debug mode??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

you need to set up a virtual directory on the server for starters otherwise you will get a generic application error screen.

The copy web tool will do that for you or the publish web tools...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Another little tip, converting an ASP.Net 1.1 project to 2 can lead to a few funnies that'll cause you problems like this. There's plenty of ASP.Net 2 tutorials out there, you're probably better off starting a new .Net 2 project and tutorial.

It might be a little daunting switching from classic ASP, but it's very very worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Darragh-o-h

Hello,
    Yes. I think your right. I should probably just start a new application fro scratch. Just finding the time is the hard part! the site is currently at www.digitaldarragh.com/testblog/blog/ and it's configured correctly. Well, at least, it should be anyway.
    I used the command line tool to compile the site yesterday. That gave me better results than the IDE in that I could see the compiled files but still no joy. Think it's back to the drawing board and starting an app from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

Darragh,

in the web.config file for the site the tag called 'custom error' has a value 'Remote Only'.Change this to 'Off' so we can see the more detailed error messages. Then we all could help you better as this will allow remote users to see full error messages. If you're not comfortable with this look at the site locally and post a screen shot of the error as locally, you'll get a more detailed error message.

One other thing to check is in IIS, the virtual directory your app is running under must be configured to run as ASP.Net 2.0

To check this start go into IIS Manager. Right click the virtual directory and click properties. Click the ASP.Net tab. There is a drop down for the .Net version number. Choose 2.0

• Advertisement
Advertisement