Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed up for a free account - Charged $499 for pro account!!!!

Options
  • 19-02-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

As part of my college project I have to upload an on-line survey. I searched around and found http://www.zoomerang.com who offer a free account service. I went to their homepage, clicked setup free account, registered (you had to enter credit card details which I thought was ok as many free services require credit card details to setup). Clicked agree to terms and conditions (no sneaky stuff) and received an automated email saying welcome to the free account. Excellent now I can get started. Few moments later received another email saying welcome to the pro account and we have debited you credit card for one years subscription of $499. Please note we do not offer partial or full refunds for canceled subscriptions!!

I rang MBNA (my credit card provider) and they told me to email them and say I only signed up to the free account (which I have done). They tell me I need to try to resolve it with them before they will intervene.

Now maybe there was something extremely sneaky on the website which (if not ticked) upgrades your account but surely MBNA will cancel this payment is these con artists do not refund me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Or maybe it was a genuine error on their part?
    Why have you jumped to the conclusion they are con artists?

As MBNA said, the first thing you need to do is contact them and see what the story is. It sounds to me like it was some sort of error. Why else would you receive 2 signup mails.

Their blurb about not offering refunds has no effect on you - you didn't agree to purchase in the first place and if push comes to shove, you can raise a chargeback with MBNA. I'm sure Zoomerang will want to avoid it coming to this as chargebacks are costly to the merchant.

Give them a few days to get back to you before you take further action.
    (assuming you contacted them explaining what happened)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Did you check your onling banking to see if the charge is pending ?

If not I am sure you can ask MBNA to not authorise any payment to that company in the furure...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

When I rang MBNA they said my credit card had been charged. Have email Zoomerang. I'll see what their response is...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

jhegarty wrote:
    If not I am sure you can ask MBNA to not authorise any payment to that company in the furure...

i thought that as well but apparently when I rang AIB before they said they couldn't do that which is a bit strange in this day and age :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Daveg, I think you may accidently selected the pro account.

I just created a test online survey. No credit card info was needed.

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB2266R4XRYRB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Rabies wrote:
    Daveg, I think you may accidently selected the pro account.

I just created a test online survey. No credit card info was needed.

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB2266R4XRYRB
    Bingo.

OP - you don't to enter CC info for a free account! Obviously this was your mistake, and I bet you didn't read their terms and conditions which means you agreed to the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Futureman wrote:
    OP - you don't to enter CC info for a free account! Obviously this was your mistake, and I bet you didn't read their terms and conditions which means you agreed to the charge.

Terms & Conditions, instructions and maps- real men don't need to read them!!!

Funny, I'd be suspuscious if I was signing up for something but still had to give credit card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Handing over credit card details for something that is free is a bit foolish.

I've not noticed many sites that do it, and can't understand how one could not be suspicious that there is probably some clause hidden in the T&Cs that will try to use the details. What other reason would they have for asking for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

$500 is a hell of a charge, I can understand your desire to recoup it. First off, I'd contact Zoomerang and see if they'll cancel and refund. If they refuse then you should be able to contest the payment with MBNA. Ring them and explain they at no point did you authorise Zoomerang to charge your card $499. MBNA will have to investigate and then it'll be up to Zoomerang to produce the proof that you did authorise the payment. If they can't, then the charge will be reversed. If however, they can come up with the proof, then you're out of luck. Be certain you didn't click an authorise button before pursuing this.

The usual method for a retailer to prove you authorised a payment is your signature on the receipt. With Internet sales however, this doesn't happen so you normally click an authorise button. Now, I'm not sure that this is actually deemed acceptable by credit card companies. So, when Zoomerang can't conclusively prove you authorised the payment, you'd win. It will all come down to what MBNA deem as a valid authorisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

The OP hasn't been heard of since the first post, but it does seem that it was his fault and not Zoomerang's.

As an Internet merchant myself I can tell you that if you don't have a signed docket, the only other proof a credit card company will accept is proof of shipping.

So for an internet delivered product like this, you can deny the charge, and eventually the credit card company will refund it.

For the merchant, it means costly chargeback fees from their bank and possibly higher future charges. Hardly fair unless they are in the wrong and refuse to sort out a resolution.

If at all possible, talk to the merchant and try to come to an amicable solution. I know I would rather process a refund than have to deal with a much more costly chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

jhegarty wrote:
    If the company is based in the EU, then it should apply. 7 day cooling-off period. The OP should at least register his complaint within the 7 days.

Advertisement