Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPSA & Club Guns

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

ASFIK practical shotgun is going to be run this year by the IPSA.[Sorry I couldnt make the AGM:( ]
    I'd agree with you that if prac shotgun was got going as well,it would encourage more membership.As dimebag said there are more scatterguns out there than pistols at the moment.But I can see the point of starting with pistols,as a point to get a foothold into Ireland with more "controversial" type weapons.By rights the ones next should be semi rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Thanks CG, that is a good reason I hadn't really considered. Let's hope that practical shooting will be seen as good reason for allowing full-bore semis and pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

PSG is most definitly on the cards for this year with a RO / Instructor course at a advanced stage of planning for the end of June:D . Full bore practical rifle is not on the IPSA Agenda now or in the near future .

John FitzGerald RD IPSA.

Les,
    It is one facet we would want to get moving,as if there is Anything that will end up on the restricted list it will be semi pistols and rifles!!No point in giving them any excuses to make life more difficult for us methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

While it would be great to have practical rifle I think the main constraint for centre fire practical rifle shooting in Ireland would be suitable ranges:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Can I Join IPSA if I have a shotgun license?

Not necessarily,three gun matches can be shot in the 100/150 metere max range.
    It is up to the course organiser on what scenarios are set up for rifle useage.
    Doesnt have to be huge distances either for practical rifle,you are not really punching paper,but knocking lots of things down.:)

I'd "assume" packas means backstops.

As most practical pistol is shot in the 10-20 yard range (although it can be out to 60 yards I believe) the backstops need to be suitable for that. e.g. most of the practical bays I've seen (Hilltop) are ~ 20 yards deep so the backstop is ~30-40 feet - a few of them are deeper and higher but you get the idea.

If you go out to 60 or 100 yards you would need them to be higher to prevent someone putting one over the back wall.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Bananaman wrote:
    I'd "assume" packas means backstops.

As most practical pistol is shot in the 10-20 yard range (although it can be out to 60 yards I believe) the backstops need to be suitable for that. e.g. most of the practical bays I've seen (Hilltop) are ~ 20 yards deep so the backstop is ~30-40 feet - a few of them are deeper and higher but you get the idea.

If you go out to 60 or 100 yards you would need them to be higher to prevent someone putting one over the back wall.

B'Man

Don't you need higher backstops for pistols though. Does any have some specs from practical rifle ranges abroad

Seeing as you are running courses to become an R.O. or Instructor for Practical Shotgun I would be very interested in looking into that.

Is this already fully subscribed? Is it open to the, Shotgun License holding, public?

It sounds very interesting and I know a lot of guys who would like to "try" it, without having to commit to the expense of getting the gun, subscribing to the IPSA etc until they had decided if it was a sport they were interested in.

I'd have to a minimum of an R.O., ideally an Instructor, to be able to even take them out for a look and let them "try" a few shots at steels etc.

B'Man.

• Advertisement

Looking at the few I have seen in the US the backstops dont seem to be more than 5meters high.These are the same ones used for full auto and Destructive devices shoots as well.Alot of them are three walled as well from the backstop.Again PR is not about distance shooting all the time,but rather mass of targets you knock in the greatest possible speed.

Advertisement