Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What rpm should a car idle at?

Options
  • 19-02-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one. What would ye think is a comfortable rpm for a car to idle at? I've just got my car back from a mechanic who said the car is now fine, but its idling at about 2200 rpm. Also, when you lift the clutch after putting in reverse, the rpm drops to almost 0 and the car shudders as if its going to cut out.
    Could this be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

2200 RPM is too high for idle - even a cold idle. Most engines will idle somewhere between 700 - 900 RPM depending on the engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Definately too high for idling, like crosstown said around 800 rpm wud be the norm. And no that doest sound right when you reverse.

What car is it and how old etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Most will be between 700-900rpm. Is it a constant idle at 2200rpm or is it jumping all over the place?
    What kind of car is it? Was the idle OK when it went into the Mechanic?
    Sounds like a faulty MAF (Airflow meter) or something like an idel valve gone.
    Your fuel economy as well as everything else wil suffer, I'd be right back to your mechanic to sort ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah AFAIK mine idels at around 800rpm, this is usually the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭Archeron

thanks for the replies all.
    The car is a 1991 Honda Integra. It was running high before I gave it to the mechanic, and I asked him to look at that, but he said its running fine. The engine doesnt rev all over the place, only ticks over high. The problem with the revs dropping to almost zero in reverse was a problem when releasing the clutch in any gear, but its only reverse now.

then again, this mechanic also told me my brakes were fine when in fact the only way I can get the car to stop is by throwing a rope round a lamppost and praying. Perhaps its time to see another mechanic......

Gosh darn it, why is it so hard to find a good reliable mechanic in Ireland!!! (no offense to the doubtless numerous good mechanics out there who I just cant seem to get in touch with :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Archeron wrote:
    Perhaps its time to see another mechanic......

I think so.

Any mechanic who tells you that 2200 RPM is fine is a bit dubious, tbh - not to mention the brake problem.

The reverse problem sound to me like it may have something to do with the clutch operation.

Get yourself a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Have you any modifications done under the hood ?

I'd change mechanic, one of the first things he should of checked was the Idle Air Control Valve & check for vacuum leaks.

Advertisement