Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with graphics card ATI 9800xl

Options
  • 19-02-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

My ATI 9800 graphics card seems to be a bit buggered, just wondering if anyone can tell what might be wrong with it, ive tried reinstalling drivers, trying it in various other pcs, different operating systems ...etc but always the same lines keep showing on the screen, i rarely use this graphics card to play games and have not done so in at least 3 months so its not been overworked, however i have been using dual displays for over a year now so maybe that has put quite a bit of load on it, ive plugged the graphics card out and had a look at it there doesnt seem to be any burn marks or excessive dust, it looks functional and as i said there is only these lines which can be seen in the attached screenshot.
    screenshotuo8.th.png

I have not tried to look under the graphics card fan at the gpu because its stuck on with those impossible-to-remove-without-slightly-damaging connectors but looks to be ok from what i can tell.
    Any suggestions as to how to fix it?? or is this card well and truely buggered??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

OO that is a bad sign, it or something similar has happened to my card (radeon 9600 xt) I had to underclock the memory to get the card stable.id deffinatly say underclock your GPU and memory untill it stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

thanks for the reply, yea it is definatly a bad sign alright :( will definatly have a shot at underclocking it, im still surprised it just happened for no apparant reason as i wasnt doin anything intensive at the time, just browsing the web and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yup bad news at best the GPU's cooler is no longer working properly so it is overheating and at worst the RAM is defective on the card.

Other than under-clocking replacing the cooler is the only other suggestion which I can think of failing that you will need to replace the card.

Advertisement