Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does driving on your own with first provisional void your insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I think the point that dr.bollocko is trying to make is that, if I am a provisional license holder and have my driving test tomorrow and I pass, on wednesday I would be a full license holder yet at the same time be the exact same driver with the exact same experience driving. The colour of my license is all that would change, no matter what there are going to be provisional license holders driving unaccompanied.

It's not only a matter of passing the test, waiting for the test is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

swingking wrote:

I had to cancel my test, due to medical reasons, and now I am at the back of the queue.

Me too, got a note from the doc, resubmitted and got the test 1 month later.

as far as your original query - I remember a guy on TV (sorry I know that's not a great source) saying that if a provisional lic. holder had a crash while unaccompanied, or on a motorway, the claim would be honoured, but they would not get their policy renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Not as funny as your attempt at forming a decent argument.
    Thank god for rolleyes and high horses or you would have nothing to post at all!

Agreed, thank God most of our society don't adapt furtzy's attitude of 'you're a provisional driver, only full's are worthy of my attention', face it your living in 22nd century Ireland, not the Third Reich.

The young in our society are being given far too much freedom!:mad: :mad: :mad: Back in my day this never would have happened!!!....:mad: :mad:

furtzy wrote:
    Pass the test....get the licence problem solved. Simple really...no real need to argue

Or just drive anyway, like everyone else, apply for your test, be happy if you pass and try again if you fail....

No real need to argue about that, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

md99 wrote:
    Or just drive anyway, like everyone else, apply for your test, be happy if you pass and try again if you fail....
    What other country in the world allows a FAILED driver to get into behind the wheel of a car and drive home... LOL what a system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

DonJose wrote:
    What other country in the world allows a FAILED driver to get into behind the wheel of a car and drive home... LOL what a system.
    Do you not realise the alternative is even more farcical?

DonJose wrote:

Agreed... It's fine for us provisionals now but I'm still against the principal of letting someone on the road so easily (a theory test... come on!) and letting us drive away scot free after the test.

That said, the test waiting list shouldn't be as long as it is, there should be more testers, etc... so there's two sides to the coin really. Eliminating provisional drivers unaccompanied would be nearly impossible - the Gardaí couldn't go pulling every learner driver who is alone, as those on their 2nd provisional don't require any full-licenced accompaniment. As well as that, lots of us will just take down our L plates and drive a little less - so as to avoid check points, which is SIMPLE most of the time, and even if they become more frequent it'll only be for a short while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

md99 wrote:
    Agreed, thank God most of our society don't adapt furtzy's attitude of 'you're a provisional driver, only full's are worthy of my attention', face it your living in 22nd century Ireland, not the Third Reich.

The young in our society are being given far too much freedom!:mad: :mad: :mad: Back in my day this never would have happened!!!....:mad: :mad:

??? No idea what you're going on about here....22nd century Ireland??? ramblings of an idiot

You need to step back here and look at the original post where a guy who has been driving 8 months describes himself as "a very compentent driver" even though he has no certification of competence. Its idiotic.

You might not agree with the current driving test or the wait times but its all we have. With all its flaws it is still the test of driving competency which the OP has not passed.

The OP should apply for cancellations and he should get a test date relatively quickly albeit I know with very little notice. But if he's confident then he should go for it.

Remember the provisional licence is not an actual licence but a learners permit...says so on the front. With regard to the insurance question I'd consider it a gamble. Insurance companies like anyone else will try to absolve themselves from pay out if the terms and conditions of the policy are not met. Driving unaccompanied, therefore driving illegally, could be seen as being in breach of terms and conditions same as being under the influence of alcohol in which circumstances they only pay the third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

down here in Kerry, the Gards dont bother if you dont have a full licenced driver.........ive been at it a week now :D

i dont understand that.....would i be right in saying they are more stricter in the cities?? i really dont know.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

i drive around by myself on my first provisional. have done since a week after getting my licence.

a few months ago someone ran into the back of me (forgot to brake).
    no one hurt, swopped details and i got my claim no probs. neither insurance companies asked nor did the other driver.

mind you the gardai werent called (unnessicary) but that might have been an issue then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

The cops stopped me when I was 17 driving my da's new mondeo....They checked my L plates,looked at my licence (A PROVISIONAL!!!) and let me drive on..!!! I was on me own at the time, a named driver on the policy and didnt even mention the full driver thing....I was livin in rural donegal with a serious boy racer culture and they just turned a blind eye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's really something of a grey area......Insurance companies shouldn't technically give insurance to provisional drivers since they don't have a licence at all....yes....your read right...a provisional is a permit to learn not a licence to kill

however if your insurance company will quote you for insurance then it's their problem if someone hits you or you hit someone else....

Technically you could be done for driving without a licence if a Garda was having a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ninty9er wrote:
    ..a provisional is a permit to learn not a licence to kill

so thats why james bond didn't just go down the motor tax office...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

md99 wrote:
    As regards third party, I made the enquiry with my insurer and they told me that being unaccompanied or not would not be looked into.
    However, for the comprehensive parts of your policy, you may be left swinging. Plus you'll have a bad insurance reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Completly off topic but the OP could get a motorbike.
    You only wait 8 weeks for a Category A test.

I got my provisional A in November and my full A in Feburary. All that includes one test I cancelled 15 days before it was due so I had to wait for another test date.

If only there were similar waiting times for car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,847 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

micmclo wrote:
    If only there were similar waiting times for car drivers.
    The main reason is that the motorbike pass rate is far higher than for cars, so there's not many eejits going in for tests when they're not ready, or failing their test for the umpteenth time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

As a matter of interest, if you have a full licence (car), are you allowed to ride motorbikes or do you have to take another test? Reason I ask is because when I passed the cert only said for cat. B vehicles and as such I could only apply for a B licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

eh why was my post from the start of this thread deleted??????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Elessar wrote:
    As a matter of interest, if you have a full licence (car), are you allowed to ride motorbikes or do you have to take another test? Reason I ask is because when I passed the cert only said for cat. B vehicles and as such I could only apply for a B licence.
    A category B licence will cover you to ride mopeds (M) and tractors (W).

Kadeshh wrote:
    someone ran into the back of me (forgot to brake).
    no one hurt, swopped details and i got my claim no probs
    That's a different senario as you were not at fault.

A lot of posters have mentioned that the Gardaí 'don't care'. It's not so much that the Gardaí don't care but that our District Court judges seem reluctant to prosecute for single motoring offences. If a Garda brings someone before the court, the judges seem to prefer that the defendant is up for several offences, e.g. seatbelt, tax, L plates, NCT etc. In my local District Court, provisional drivers are occasionally convicted of driving unaccompanied but it is always combined with other motoring offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

miju wrote:
    eh why was my post from the start of this thread deleted??????

There are no deleted posts in this thread. Perhaps it was a database error?

Anyway, feel free to post again, miju :)

musta been a db error so , no need to repost it , it's pretty much been covered in the thread so far in that the insuranc will honor your policy for a third party but not for yourself and then pursue you for full amount of claim plus all costs

Since we're already off topic, might as well follow up on the moped issue.

Does one need insurance/anything additional to drive one? And is it expensive?

yes u need insurance to drive one , a 50cc moped should cost no more than about €750 to insure

that's that one out the window for me then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

md99 wrote:
    Since we're already off topic, might as well follow up on the moped issue.

Does one need insurance/anything additional to drive one? And is it expensive?

??? Its no wonder you failed your mock test 14 times asking questions like that.

furtzy wrote:
    ??? Its no wonder you failed your mock test 14 times asking questions like that.

Someones missing his 6:00 pill! I'll call the nurse for you.

md99 wrote:
    Someones missing his 6:00 pill! I'll call the nurse for you.
    Well he has a point md99. I would have thought that all motorists or potential motorists would know that it is compulsory to be insured to operate a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place.

Well he has a point md99. I would have thought that all motorists or potential motorists would know that it is compulsory to be insured to operate a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place.

Now that you've addressed the situation properly (not ignorantly as furtzy has)..

You'd be wrong in thinking that of all drivers... There are plenty who don't care to know anything about mopeds, motorbikes etc..., more specifically young drivers I'm sure, remember all that these guys need to get on the road is the ridiculously easy theory test. Lots of people don't care to know the actual rules, they just want to know what will pass their test.

Where is a better place than here to enquire? It's free and most users don't mind sharing their knowledge.

Not saying that it's right..

• Advertisement

md99 wrote:
    remember all that these guys need to get on the road is the ridiculously easy theory test.
    ....which has 9 potential questions relating to insurance!

Advertisement