Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does driving on your own with first provisional void your insurance

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sounds like a big fib, why didn't they apply for the amnesty back in 1979 ??
    The 1979 amnesty was only granted to provsional licence holders who were on their second licence and who were on the driving test waiting list on a particular date (October 1st??) that year. Presumably my work colleague didn't meet both qualifying criteria.

There was no advance notice given to prevent people from applying just to avail of the amnesty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was no advance notice given to prevent people from applying just to avail of the amnesty.
    My friends mother applied for a truck license for the crack, and got it. So there must have been strong rumours. - Bet they are kicking themselves for not applying ;)

Thank goodness for the EU, otherwise they would have done it again.

Until people in this country NEED a full license to drive, the driving test will remain optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My friends mother applied for a truck license for the crack, and got it.
    Is it possible that you may be confusing it with the pre test era (before 1964) when one merely ticked the categories and paid for the licence.

Or you may be confusing it with the older licences which gave a light truck (now C1) with the car licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

As for the 300,000 who haven't applied for a test, send out a letter to anyone not on second provisional reminding of the penalties for driving unaccompanied and reminding them of the waiting list and that if they don't apply in the next 6 months they go to the back of the list, on the basis they couldn't be bothered. This will generate cash flow.
    Next - since the waiting time will be over a year for those at the end of the list, you don't renew the license because it will be impossible for them to do the test on it. You only renew their licenses when the waiting time drops below a year. - this would only apply to those who have waited more than a year in the past to apply for a test.

So if people don't apply for the test you will put them to the back of the list they are not on...

then you don't allow people who didn't do a thing wrong to get a licenses until the test (that they can't apply for without a licenses) has a waiting list less than a year....

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

C.D. wrote:
    Hmm.. that is like saying.. 40% of all driver road deaths involve alcohol. So 60% of those people die when sober. So its safer to be drunk. If we have 1000 car journeys, 950 sober and 50 taken while drunk and 100 overall road deaths it means that 40 out 50 drunk people died and 60 out of 950 sober people died. I pulled these figures out of the air, but only to illustrate that you're wrong.
    I think the figures tend to be in the order of 0.5% in breath tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Victor wrote:
    I think the figures tend to be in the order of 0.5% in breath tests.

It wasn't so much to do with actual DD stats, as a general illustration as to how easy it is to misinterpret statistics in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

we have a woefull attitude to driving in this country. a culture of nonchalance towards rules and regulations definitely exists amongst full licence holders and provisional licence holders. come to think of it, pedestrians can even be factored into that statement (thats another days work however).

generalising and sweeping statement, i know, but i feel our levels of road deaths and injuries proves this.

at the moment the gardai use their powers of discretion when dealing with provisional licence holders. rightly so in my opinion, but that is the right of the gardai to exercise discretion NOT the right of the 1st provisional licence holder to drive unaccompanied.

it is also worth remembering that our laws in relation to this issue are not representative of our current climate, they were brought in for a bygone era.

i dont have any one single opinion on the issue, suffice to say that i feel the law needs to be changed and enforced.

one very small thing which has yet to be mentioned: when you sign for a provisional licence you are signing an undertaking that you know and are farmiliar with all the rules of the road and applicable legistlation. it is then granted to you on this basis.

just my thoughts..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

*familiar* ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a few years ago I was involved in surveying a bike club, and found that a number of people were still on their provisional.............after 20+ years. How that is physically possible, I have no idea - the co co staff who issue such licences should be reprimanded and disciplined for negligence.........or something........it's just daft.

As for writing to the 300k people on the list........excluding stationery, labour, that's another € 144,000 just for the stamps, then.............I can think of much better things to do with the money.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement