Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed by 2%

Options
  • 19-02-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Gutted, got my 2.2 acca exam results this mornin and got 48%. Should i bother getting the paper re-checked? I know they go through fairly strict measures, but 2% is burning a hole in my brain. I thought i had done slightly better :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

mkdon05 wrote:
    Gutted, got my 2.2 acca exam results this mornin and got 48%. Should i bother getting the paper re-checked? I know they go through fairly strict measures, but 2% is burning a hole in my brain. I thought i had done slightly better :(

Howdy, MKdon05,

There's only one thing worse than getting 48% and that's receiving 49% (Which ACCA seem to have a penchant for) - It's harder when you're the recipient of such a result, but I don't think it would be worth the £50-£60 it costs because a 48% result would have been reviewed three times already. Also, they no longer give detailed feed back and only give a pass/fail for each question you took. Before they used to give helpful info, but this must have taken them ages - You'll note they haven't reduced the fee though! :rolleyes:

With that said, it was reported that some 5 scripts were upgraded to a pass at the last review stage. But that' was 5 out of nearly 2,000 IIRC.

Good luck either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Cheers Smcgiff,

The smart thing to do would be just let it go, but there is still a little MAYBE there, that i think i might just take a punt on it. What makes it worse is that this is the second time ive failed it, got 47% last sitting. Twould drive ya to drink:D

mkdon05 wrote:
    Cheers Smcgiff,

The smart thing to do would be just let it go, but there is still a little MAYBE there, that i think i might just take a punt on it. What makes it worse is that this is the second time ive failed it, got 47% last sitting. Twould drive ya to drink:D

Just think of the fee as giving the UK’s balance of payments a dig out – I’ve been where you are now, and if you don’t do it you’ll always have a niggling doubt that you could have passed. With that said, if you do send off for a review forget about it and go straight back into studing this and other subjects.

BTW, was this the only exam you took - how about the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

smcgiff wrote:
    Just think of the fee as giving the UK’s balance of payments a dig out – I’ve been where you are now, and if you don’t do it you’ll always have a niggling doubt that you could have passed. With that said, if you do send off for a review forget about it and go straight back into studing this and other subjects.

BTW, was this the only exam you took - how about the others?
    I was resitting 2.1 as well, managed to get 66% in that one, I had gotten 48% in it first time round. To be honest i thought i had done enough to pass the two of them this time. (Horrible Feeling)
    Well i am just gonna forget about it now and make sure i get it next time for definite. Gonna take tax on with it, should be ok in that one, i do a lot of it in practice.
    Im guessing you qualified and all now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

It's worth a go but I wouldn't get my hopes up. My missus got 49% last year (she sobbed like a baby - wouldn't blame her) and then went and got it rechecked but it stayed put. They're an awful shower of w@ankers.

[edit: fixed typo]

• Advertisement

mkdon05 wrote:
    Well i am just gonna forget about it now and make sure i get it next time for definite.

Probably for the best. :)
    mkdon05 wrote:
    Gonna take tax on with it, should be ok in that one, i do a lot of it in practice.

Good, cause that was a horrible exam! :p
    mkdon05 wrote:
    Im guessing you qualified and all now?

I wish – 43% in 3.5. Was hoping to pass. Will be taking it for the third time in 6 months time with not a huge amount of confidence. Now that’s horrible!

I hate this exam with a passion. It’s holding me up big time with what I want to do next. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Wow those exams sound difficult. Are they really that hard or do people just not put enough work in? How do they compare to college exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

You cannot compare them to college exams. In colege it is your lecturer setting the exams so they can guide you towards the most likely topics they will examine you on. For ACCA you basically need to know the whole syllabus as anything can come up. Pass rates for ACCA exams are rarely above 50% (usually below) so I doubt its a case of 50% of people not putting in enough work.

On a side note I got 3.6 (just, 50%) and got 48% in 3.7 (passed 3.5 in June '06), so I have one left to do now in June. Hopefully I can knock it on the head and be finished. Blessed that the new syllabus is coming up because I would still be sittig all 3 again if it wasn't for the change in finals rules.

Grudle,

If not for the change in the core subjects rule, I'd be taking a defibrillator with me into my 3.5 exam this June. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

when I go and do a macc in either dcu or ucd will i only have one paper left to sit??

• Advertisement

Leon11 wrote:
    when I go and do a macc in either dcu or ucd will i only have one paper left to sit??

Nope - the max exemption is up until the final 5 exams (with ACCA anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Leon11 wrote:

I think you mean one set of papers, that's with ACA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

yeah sorry meant to say how many sets of papers will I have left to sit. Thanks so I take it if you enter into a training contract for 2/3 yrs theoritcally you could actually pass all your exams in your first year, yes?? how would that affect your pay scale etc, would you still be stuck on pre qualified rate until you finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You'll have a 3 year contract. YOu can't sit exams in your first year of work. You'll sit them in your 2nd year and then after that if you've to repeat.

Advertisement