Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A very trivial question for you ....

• 19-02-2007 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

......what can I say I'm bored in work :o

Anyway the story is I bought six cans of quality lager* in Tesco at the weekend along with all my groceries. Get home & start putting them all away & notice one of the cans is practically empty with just about one mouthfull if your lucky. Let out a string of f words thinking the can has leaked all over the other groceries but realise they're all fine so I go back & check the can & its airtight. So what should I do:

a) Drink the little mouthful next time I'm having a few cans :o
    b) Go back to Tesco & demand to get 6 free ones for all the stress caused
    or
    c) Send a letter & said can back to the quality lager* company & hopefully get even more free beer for all the stress;)

*Dutch Gold (may not be quality for others)!

Anyone any experience of returning damaged foods/drinks, is it worth it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

C, and it usually works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

C will work. It normally works but you should pack the can in a box with good protective packaging to prevent it being damaged. Otherwise it's hard to validate your claim ;)

To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother because of all the effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Yes I was thinking C) but the effort is putting me off especially if it went missing in the post. Suppose registered post would be ok.

Think I'll just get my Mam to go to Tesco for me as she's afraid of no-one & would'nt get all :o like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You ring Dutch Gold rather than send the can. A rep will pick it up from you or they simply wont bother and send you some stuff. Dont send the can!

Anyway I think they have a place up in City West (or nearby) as I used to nearly get knocked off my bike everyday by one of their 4X4s. A quick Google should get you a number.

6th wrote:
    You ring Dutch Gold rather than send the can. A rep will pick it up from you or they simply wont bother and send you some stuff. Dont send the can!

Anyway I think they have a place up in City West (or nearby) as I used to nearly get knocked off my bike everyday by one of their 4X4s. A quick Google should get you a number.

Thats a great suggestion, will def go with that one, Thanks. Will let you know if I get any free cans :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You bought six cans ,you should get six cans..bring them back and demand a refund.

You have succumbed into the PR spin.. Dutch Gold = bad beer= knacker drink.

There is nothing wrong with Dutch Gold,it's as good as any other lager,maybe better.So.. grow a pair of balls and do the right thing.

You bought six cans ,you should get six cans..bring them back and demand a refund.

There is nothing wrong with Dutch Gold,it's as good as any other lager,maybe better.So.. grow a pair of balls and do the right thing.

OK :( I was only joking about the quality of it. Personally I love it & its the only can of lager I drink. Even at Xmas when everyone gets Carlsberg & Heinekin in etc. I always go for my Dutch!

I can only bring back the one can as I drank the other 5 though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

There is nothing wrong with Dutch Gold,it's as good as any other lager,maybe better.
    LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring the one can back for a new, don't be greedy.
    In your bored time, navigate boards. Find other forums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

C, although seeing at it's such high quality* it might not be even worth the postage!

*internet sarcasm, you gotta love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Personally I wouldn't be bothered. It's just one can, it's hardly going to bankrupt you. It's probably just a mistake at the manufacturers - why create a fuss over something so pointless? Next time, if it's really worrying you, feel the weight of the can before you buy it.

Aaah another goon taken in by marketing .

Axioms:

Because its expensive it's good-Not true
    because its inexpensive it's bad-Not true.

If the girl likes DG and wants to drink it, well done.
    As far as I am concerned she has loads of cop on and knows a good deal when she sees it.

You go ahead and pay over the frikken top for so-called branded beers which are no way better than the one she drinks... dearer yes,but better, tell me how???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm a fan of 3.50 euro tesco hock wine. Is this bad or good?

If you like it son, its good...

Make no apologies to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Caliden wrote:

if you're a fan just because of the price, i suggest its bad ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Caliden wrote:

Anitfreeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Aaah another goon taken in by marketing.

Why it's so obvious... Anyone who doesn't like Dutch Gold must be stupid, and easily led by marketing. :rolleyes:

I'll go out on a limb and say that you're probably fairly inexperienced when it comes to beer, and seeing as how your whole argument hinges on marketing, it seems that you're refering to big name brands like Budweiser and Carlsberg. Stop me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like you're making a very large assumption that people who don't drink Dutch Gold like Budweiser and such highly marketed beers.

Personally, as a very big fan of beer, I find that notion reprehensible. I find the likes of Budweiser utterly loathsome and repugnant. To boot, I don't subscribe to the notion that it's obviously better if it's more expensive, I judge beers based on my tastebuds, and as such I'd far rather a pint of Stella Artios to a pint of Fosters, because the latter simply tastes a lot better.

In reference to easily led idiots, I find it ridiculous that anyone would rather a Budweiser, when there are infinitely superior imported beers for the same price. Give me the likes of Hoegaarden, Duvel, and the myriad of other Beglian beers, because they taste absolutely friggin' godly! Currently there's a 6 Pack of Tsing Tao in my fridge. That's very good beer, and I certainly didn't buy it because of all those marketing campains for Tsing Tao all over TV... Oh wait, there are none!

So yes, Dutch Gold is crap. But so is Budweiser. Comparing them is pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Aaah another goon taken in by marketing .

Axioms:

Because its expensive it's good-Not true
    because its inexpensive it's bad-Not true.

you forgot the one about it tasting like piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Caliden wrote:
    Where is the wine made? Have you tried other wines?

Does it have a cork or a screw cap (something which would stop me from buying a wine).

OP option C for me, or contact the company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Bavaria ftw.

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote:
    Bavaria ftw.

If I'm in a pub thats what I drink but I like it in a Carlsberg glass!

Karl I think Stella Artois tastes awful, can't take to it at all so in my opinion I class it as crap.

Mossy wow well done for being able to drink píss. Personally I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Why it's so obvious... Anyone who doesn't like Dutch Gold must be stupid, and easily led by marketing. :rolleyes:

I'll go out on a limb and say that you're probably fairly inexperienced when it comes to beer, and seeing as how your whole argument hinges on marketing, it seems that you're refering to big name brands like Budweiser and Carlsberg. Stop me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like you're making a very large assumption that people who don't drink Dutch Gold like Budweiser and such highly marketed beers.

Personally, as a very big fan of beer, I find that notion reprehensible. I find the likes of Budweiser utterly loathsome and repugnant. To boot, I don't subscribe to the notion that it's obviously better if it's more expensive, I judge beers based on my tastebuds, and as such I'd far rather a pint of Stella Artios to a pint of Fosters, because the latter simply tastes a lot better.

In reference to easily led idiots, I find it ridiculous that anyone would rather a Budweiser, when there are infinitely superior imported beers for the same price. Give me the likes of Hoegaarden, Duvel, and the myriad of other Beglian beers, because they taste absolutely friggin' godly! Currently there's a 6 Pack of Tsing Tao in my fridge. That's very good beer, and I certainly didn't buy it because of all those marketing campains for Tsing Tao all over TV... Oh wait, there are none!

So yes, Dutch Gold is crap. But so is Budweiser. Comparing them is pointless.
    I like Budweiser. It's the only thing I drink, really. The only beer that appeals to my taste buds.
    Also, it's quite light, so it doesn't really upset my delicate stomach.
    Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

bavaria is a very well respected beer in its native country (netherlands) and i enjoy it despite its "cheap" price over here, i also enjoy more-expensive beer like hoegarden and erdinger try to not follow advertising and marketting follow your taste buds*

*unless of course its being advertised by a scantly clad hot bird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

It tastes like ear wax. Its only redeemingly quality is that it takes you back to the old days, drinking in back alleys and forests on warm summer nights as a teenager years ago (drinking in those same freezing alleys and forests in December the same year wasnt as much fun mind)

Bavaria is far from the worst certainly, I do drink it the odd time. Whats Dutch markted as in Holland? Mentioned it to Dutch colleagues in work and theyd never heard of it.

As for the "hate Bud because its popular" thing, Bud would generally be what Id drink in the pub. Stella is ****ing muck, its one of the few beers which, if i was at a house party and there was only SA, Id nearly not drink it. Bud isnt popular because its heavily advertised- its popular because when cold its a cool, very refreshing beer. The beers you listed may be good, however in the same way that most people will buy a Panasonic/Sony product over some Chinese brand of the same price theyve never heard of, you will find very few people willing to buy beer nobody has ever heard of. As for the ludicrous nonsense about Bud drinkers only drinking it because of advertising, Ill admit ads showing a tall, fresh cold pint make me want one. Fair enough, theyre communicating the attributes of their beer through adverts. Is that really a problem? Heavy advertising doesnt always lead to sales anyway- Harp ads are always on tv, but my uncle is the only person ive seen drinking. Same with Smithwicks and Murphys

Penny is finally beginning to drop.

The best beer is the one you like best..... ;)

Personally, resting in my beer fridge is some ice cold Michelob Golden,a very nice drink.

Now to some people its horsep1ss, but I find cans of Harp very fresh lively and drinkable,also Stella,Bavaria premium,(green can)Kaiserdom from Dunnes, Asahi although its hard to get now,Oranjieboom,Red Stripe,Rolling Rock inr the 350ml bottles.... I'm eclectic in my tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Penny is finally beginning to drop.

The best beer is the one you like best..... ;)

Personally, resting in my beer fridge is some ice cold Michelob Golden,a very nice drink.

Now to some people its horsep1ss, but I find cans of Harp very fresh lively and drinkable,also Stella,Bavaria premium,(green can)Kaiserdom from Dunnes, Asahi although its hard to get now,Oranjieboom,Red Stripe,Rolling Rock inr the 350ml bottles.... I'm eclectic in my tastes.

lol :D I sent my mate to get some Bavarias once, without noticing he picked up some 8.2% ones (he thought the fact they cost a bit more was odd, but anyway). Theres a bit of a kick on your first mouthful, but after that you drink it as fast as normal beer, we were flutered :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

C definitely. They might send you a crate! Probably more likely a 6 pack though ¬_¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

americans call bud the headache beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dutch Gold is made just for the Irish market, it doesn't exist on the continent (they probably wouldn't drink it).

And yes, comparing piss to piss is not a good way to make a point :) But then like everything, taste in beers is something that can only come through tasting a variety, and developing taste buds. If you drink beer to get drunk, then that will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

astrofool wrote:
    Dutch Gold is made just for the Irish market, it doesn't exist on the continent (they probably wouldn't drink it).

And yes, comparing piss to piss is not a good way to make a point :) But then like everything, taste in beers is something that can only come through tasting a variety, and developing taste buds. If you drink beer to get drunk, then that will never happen.
    Lah de dah.

Is beer the new wine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mossy wow well done for being able to drink píss. Personally I haven't tried it yet.

i have accidentally drank piss in the past and i got the same level of enjoyment from Dutch Gold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

B and C, increases your odds. And if B, you only ask for a one can replacement, then your odds go up.

Its great that all these foreign beers are coming in...the Supermarkets are selling it cheaply and because the locals won't touch it they have to put it on special offer.The locals won't touch anything that doesn't sound like Guinness or Bulmers.

Some of the beers Amstel/Pratzky/etc are in my opinion not great. they dont hold a head for any lengtht of time .

Jc's in Swords had cans 500ml of Red Stripe for a Euro a can!!!!

Locals wouldnt it because its Jamaican...I reckon I drank 80% of it:D

Advertisement