Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Effect

• 19-02-2007 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi can anyone help me by provivding info about creating a short lightsaber battle between two people.I know it involves rotoscoping but what is the easiest way etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Can be quite easy to do depending on the editing/graphics package that you get your hands on. I haven't used final cut express but I've been told that it can be done fairly quickly using it.

I've got adobe after effects professional which allows you to track motion points. I created a 23 second light saber scene on it in about 5 minutes.
    If you happen to get your hands on a copy of it then do the following -
    buy a toy lightsaber. Tape the bottom part of the beam one colour. tape the very top part of the beam the same colour. Use the beam effect - tracking motion on marked top part of the saber to beam start point. Create a new motion tracker for the beam end point tracked to the bottom mark on the saber. Set beam 3-d perspective off.

If you don't have access to these tools then you could be in for a lot of rotoscoping. Basically you'd have to draw white rectangles onto your saber and apply various blurs and outer and inner colour changes to the rectangles - on each frame. See if you can export your footage to film strip and import into adobe photoshop. There are dozens of websites that will talk you through the rotoscoping a lightsaber in photoshop. Using this technique I did a 10 second lightsaber scene in about 5 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

reece wrote:
    If you don't have access to these tools then you could be in for a lot of rotoscoping. Basically you'd have to draw white rectangles onto your saber and apply various blurs and outer and inner colour changes to the rectangles - on each frame. See if you can export your footage to film strip and import into adobe photoshop. There are dozens of websites that will talk you through the rotoscoping a lightsaber in photoshop. Using this technique I did a 10 second lightsaber scene in about 5 hours

just one example of rotoscoping a lightsaber in afx http://misthe.freehostia.com/index.php?categoryid=8&p2_articleid=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

This is an excellent link and is a great tutorial I have added it to my favourites. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 M. Sean McManus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Another one for the favourites. Thanks Sean, great link, to think I used to spend hours trawling the net for tutorials and getting headaches trying to get one to work. My course work is going to get a huge leap next year:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement