Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning cobblelock - best approach?

Options
  • 19-02-2007 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking at the microcosm growing out of the cobblelock and it is way past time to get rid of it.

So this is how I think I should do it.

1. Power hose to flush out all the gunk, sand and all.
    2. Weed killer between cracks
    3. Use sand as needed

So is this the right way to do things , or am I doing it wrong or missing something? Your expert advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭secman

Just did mine 2 weeks ago. I've a heavy duty Karcher power washer. One of the settings on the lance is ideal , you can actually see the black mould stuff lift off. It tooks 1/2 day to complete as I almost had to do it on an individual cobble basis. It almost removes all the sand too and had to wait till last weekend (nice dry weather ) to re sand it. I then drenched it with Path Clear to keep moss and weeds at bay. I do this job on an annual basis, the only way to keep it looking ok.

Best of luck with it, its a very dirty job ( don't forget your wet gear) but rewarding when you see the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

secman wrote:
    Just did mine 2 weeks ago. I've a heavy duty Karcher power washer. One of the settings on the lance is ideal , you can actually see the black mould stuff lift off. It tooks 1/2 day to complete as I almost had to do it on an individual cobble basis. It almost removes all the sand too and had to wait till last weekend (nice dry weather ) to re sand it. I then drenched it with Path Clear to keep moss and weeds at bay. I do this job on an annual basis, the only way to keep it looking ok.

Best of luck with it, its a very dirty job ( don't forget your wet gear) but rewarding when you see the results.

Thanks for that. Yes I know it'll be mucky , hence the reason I'm still just looking. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you've got a Karcher pressure washer get what they call a T-Racer (see the website under accessories). It's a kind of mini hovercraft like contraption with brush bristles all around the outside. Keeps all the cr@p inside and stops ypu getting soaked .. works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would worry that the power hose is actually also taking off a layer from the cobble.
    I know when I powerhosed the concrete patio at the back of my house it got clean, but it was also taking off the top layer of cement...

Advertisement