Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House - Broadband options?

Options
  • 19-02-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

I'm moving house at the end of the month. Not too far away, just up the road. I've had an eircom line in with 3mb broadband for the past 2/3 years. I rang them today to see about moving it. They said I can't keep my number as it is on a different exchange so I need a new number. The prices and lead times they gave me are as follows:

Eircom
    Installation: €121
    Phone Line: €40 (unlimited calls)
    Broadband: €48 (3mb line)
    Lead Time: 4 weeks minimum for new line, another 2 weeks to get the broadband in
    Keep Number: no

Ok, this is a pain in the ar*e so I decided to check out the alternatives. I joined Digiweb about 3 years ago and it didn't work properly at the time so I got rid of them and went for the eircom option. Things may have changed in recent times so I rang them along with IBB and here is their offers:

IBB
    Installation: FREE
    Phone Line: €10 (500 mins of calls)
    Broadband: €48 (3mb line - up and down)
    Lead Time: 2.5 weeks
    Keep Number: no

Digiweb
    Installation: €89
    Phone Line: €15 (unlimited calls)
    Broadband: €35 (3mb/512kb line)
    Lead Time: 10 days
    Keep Number: yes

Now, Digiweb looks like the better option out of the 3. I'm living in Navan and what I want to know is anyone got any advice they can throw my way or another option I haven't considered. I rang BT and clearwire but BT are worse than eircom and clearwire are not in the area.

I don't want to have any downtime or as little as possible so that's why I leaning towards Digiweb. Has the service from them improved. What's the quality of the phone calls like? Is it really 3mb or am I going to be headwrecked with slow connections, etc. I'll be using it for browsing, email, downloading (30gb should be enough), ftp and some vpn-ing.

Thanks in advance. Rgds,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if those IBB or Digiweb offers are over the phoneline, then you still need to order your phoneline from Eircom etc and wait a few weeks before its active and then order your broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Digiweb one looks like Metro speeds & pricing, no phone line used. But subject to passing Line Of Sight. €50 to use existing eircom number, or new number free.

The 30G is a rolling 30 day average, not monthly. My speed & phone on Metro in Limerick is fine. Some people on the Three Rock mast (definately not people in Navan on Three Rock mast!) have been having slow downs and difficulty with phone, but that seems to be a localised problem and someone has suggested they are working on it.

Advertisement