Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in a car, quick question

Options
  • 19-02-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I was wondering if anybody has heard of this before.

Went about a Nissan Qashqai last weekend. It will take 10 weeks to get one.
    The dealer gave me a trade in price against my car.

The problem is that he said that he can't guarantee this trade in price when I collect as my car will be 10 weeks older and have more miles on it.

This seems crazy as its Nissans fault that I have to wait 10 weeks.

Has anybody else ever had this problem before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye I'd go to a different dealer. Windsor in Bray have a few of them on the lot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I'd defo go to another dealer, its not your fault he can provide you with the car you want.

I'd go to another dealer get the quote in writing and go back and tell him you want a further discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

surely they are just covering their own ar$e?

whats stopping the driver hockying the car and driving it into teh ground in the next 10 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Take your business elsewhere, freind of mine got his new car last week, ordered it week before Xmas and the trade in price he got back then held.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Thanks for the advice, will go to another dealer.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Also, 10 weeks seems very long.

I enquired about the Qashqai in Pat Keoghs today in Limerick and I was told I would be waiting around 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Car dealers just don't care anymore. I ordered a Honda Civic last August for January delivery. Following a string of lies I'm now lead to believe I might get it in March!!!!

They have it too easy at the moment and have no respect for the customer anymore. Things will change when things tighten up in the future. I know where I will not be spending my money then:p .

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

10 weeks or so is not unusual if its a factory order - i.e. if you spec something not standard. This being a new model, demand may be high, hence all orders are coming from factory.
    Also its not too unusual for a dealer to be iffy on giving you a trade in value and holding that value for 10 weeks - depending on what your trade in is, the mileage on it, the likely demand of that model, etc, etc... Shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We're looking at a May delivery for a 2.0l with leather. Haven't ordered it yet as we're seeing if they will come up a bit on the trade in. Wifey is good at pushing a deal.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I'd talk to another dealer, or at least get him to fix on a price.
    You can't be expected to strike a deal with him when you don't know how much it'll cost you.

10 weeks isn't over-long for a factory build. The main trouble about the wait is taking extra care of your current car.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I work in a delaership, the guarantee on price is a bit odd,

I will agree a price, then if the car comes in with a mark or ding it didnt have then it is going onto the balance, you have to be fair to the customer and the business

It does happen on occasion that you give someone a price and they tear the ring out of the car for 6 weeks and give it back to you in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Update, went to another dealer, getting the car in six weeks, trade in price up by another €100 and will not change, happy days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Niall06 wrote:
    Update, went to another dealer, getting the car in six weeks, trade in price up by another €100 and will not change, happy days.

Good man. Now ring back the original dealer and tell him to swivel on that. :D

(Sorry, I'm just in a bad mood this morning!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

The best option is go else where.there are loads of nissan dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone getting a decent cash price on these cars?

Just had a test drive and asked the cash price for the 1.6 SVE

€26,495 + €495 (metallic paint ('cos only white & red are non-metallic)) + around €500 delivery & dealer charges.

So that's €26,995 for the non-metallic and €27, 490 for metallic. He said I'd get a grand off for cash. Does that sound a bit tight? I'd get 2k on a Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SachaJ wrote:
    Anyone getting a decent cash price on these cars?

Just had a test drive and asked the cash price for the 1.6 SVE

€26,495 + €495 (metallic paint ('cos only white & red are non-metallic)) + around €500 delivery & dealer charges.

So that's €26,995 for the non-metallic and €27, 490 for metallic. He said I'd get a grand off for cash. Does that sound a bit tight? I'd get 2k on a Focus.

Did you get a price from another dealer? As the OP found out it is always best to shop around for the best deal. I would expect to get more than €1,000 cash discount off a €27,500 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'll shop around alright. I think it might have been a case of "we're a huge Nissan dealer and we don't care if you buy 'cos someone else will buy". I think prices outside Dublin might be better too

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

the sister in law had a similer problem, she got a price on the day the deal was done with all the extras (paint yada yada yada) and when the car arrived (3 months later) there was a price increase she stuck to her guns and got the old price. tell yer man in the garage to sing for it. it's your money and if he wants it tell him he's to work for it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Back in February (when this thread was last posted on - until now!) it was a sellers market where Qashwais were concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did you get a price from another dealer? As the OP found out it is always best to shop around for the best deal. I would expect to get more than €1,000 cash discount off a €27,500 car.

Folks - the days of big cash discounts are long gone - dealers make way more money if you HP finance (fully financed sale + big fat commission cheque from finance company)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Back in February (when this thread was last posted on - until now!) it was a sellers market where Qashwais were concerned.

Is it not any more, Colm?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think it'll be as manic this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

eamon234 wrote: »
    dealers make way more money if you HP finance (fully financed sale + big fat commission cheque from finance company)

I reckon that comments worth a sticky on its own!!

Advertisement