Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my sisters car privately

Options
  • 19-02-2007 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm helping my sister sell her car privately....

I have the vehicle reg form..do i get the purchaser to sign this and send it off myself???

Is there any other forms I need?

How should i accept payment? Cheque etc...

Thanks, all advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Purchaser signs it, you send it off. As for payment, personally I'd take cash, I know a few mates of mine have taken Bankers Drafts and never had any problems, "Stay away from cheques"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if i were the buyer, i'd be worried in case the seller would let me go, report the car stolen and i'd lose out. that' an extreme case but it depends on the amont in question. if it's not a lot of money, tell them you'd prefer cash. draft is next best. money transfer maybe?

this is the oldest question in the book between private buyers/ sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Also another good tip is to do up a receipt and make a copy of it, one for you and one for the buyer.
    Make sure to have the following on it :
    • Sellers name, address & signature
    • Buyers name & signature
    • Price
    • Type of payment received
    • Date & time of sale
    • and always put on receipt "Sold as Seen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Obviously you haven't seen any Eastern European or African fake drafts. Cash is the only way, and even that is dodgy because of forgery. The solution is to meet and arrange payment in your bank, by bank transfer, or by lodging the cash there and then. The bank issues a reciept, and if there's any dud notes, they'll find them.

It depends how much we're talking about, too, though. If it's a small amount, I'd take a flutter on the cash and return any ropey looking notes to the buyer.

Advertisement