Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of cats

• 19-02-2007 4:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has at least two if not three cats that seem to spend all their time in my garden or on my car or sitting at my back door.

I have chased them away every single time I have seen them but they keep coming back. There is now a bit of a smell of cats píss in the back garden and I'm getting really sick of the cats being there all the time. I can also hear them fighting at night sometimes.

I don't really know the neighbour as he is at the back side so never meet him so wouldn't feel comfortable approaching him about it and anyway in case he's a knob and I end up falling out with him over it. I can't get a dog either as herself wont allow me have one :(

So how do I go about getting rid of these cats, without shooting them that is!!
    Is there some kind of repellant I can put down or something like that?? I don't really want to poison them either as I wouldn't like someone to do that to my pet, if I had one. Surely there has to be something I can do???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You can get various types of repellant in most hardware/garden centres. I'm not sure how effective they are though. Cats hate anything that smells of citrus, so a few orange/lemon/lime peelings may help deter them.

But as you have already said, a dog would be the best solution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

ive used every type of repelliants and nothing works even with a dog , the cat just annoys the dog the dog them barks and your neighbour will ccomplain abt you , oh but i was told you can get a sound thing that sticks to your wall to keep them away not sure of name but im going to hardware store tomorrow if i find out i will let you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Black Pepper, sprinkle it about the place for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,625 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Water pistol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A good auld size 10 steel wing tip up the rear end works well too.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    A good auld size 10 steel wing tip up the rear end works well too.:D
    love the sound of that except im size 4 lol:eek:

emer12 wrote: »
    love the sound of that except im size 4 lol:eek:

You will get further up the cats rear end then,and really give the cat something to think about so.:D

Tried that sadly and onions. I think the swift kick might be better option !

Tried that sadly and onions. I think the swift kick might be better option !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

i'm also very keen to have solution to this problem, they keep coming back and doing their business in my raised beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

have a garden hose permanently at the ready with:

a) spray nozzle set to narrow, powerful jet

b) trigger operated - you'll need to be able to get off 'rounds' quickly since it won't take many hits before the sight of you has them running. Don't hit them in the face at close range.

Ive ben told by a vet this morning,that a bottle of another cats urine spread around the garden will actually ward off other cats,as the other cats will pick up the scent and not want to go into another cats zone.

Dont know if it works in reality,but it makes sense in thoery thiough.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

paddy, where the F*** would one get a bottle of cats piss!!!!

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

sealgaire wrote: »

FFS

Sure they sell it in Lidl, its called Perlenbacher

sealgaire wrote: »

FFS

hahahah so funny:)

ronan45 wrote: »
    Sure they sell it in Lidl, its called Perlenbacher

you for real ??:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭bassy

its a hard thing to do,as was proved in croke park last sunday :)

bassy wrote: »
    its a hard thing to do,as was proved in croke park last sunday :)

Very good trounce bassy
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

ive used every type of repelliants and nothing works even with a dog , the cat just annoys the dog the dog them barks and your neighbour will ccomplain abt you , oh but i was told you can get a sound thing that sticks to your wall to keep them away not sure of name but im going to hardware store tomorrow if i find out i will let you know :)

I bought one of those things as I had problems with other people's dogs and cats turning my lawns into lavatories. It is an ultrasonic device with a PIR sensor that is triggered by the presence of movement, when it generates a sound too high pitched for humans to hear but is supposed to be very irritating for animals. As a test I switched it on when my son's dog was nearby. Dog yawned and curled up on the grass immediately in front of the device, apparently not at all bothered by it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ando82

ART6 wrote: »
    I bought one of those things as I had problems with other people's dogs and cats turning my lawns into lavatories. It is an ultrasonic device with a PIR sensor that is triggered by the presence of movement, when it generates a sound too high pitched for humans to hear but is supposed to be very irritating for animals. As a test I switched it on when my son's dog was nearby. Dog yawned and curled up on the grass immediately in front of the device, apparently not at all bothered by it!

Either that or your sons dog is deaf as a post!! lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greenet

Don't know where I heard this or if I imagined it but apparently if you fill up bottles with water and leave them lying around the garden its supposed to keep them away! if and how it works.....i don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

if you have a smallish garden then try chicken wire or green netting around the edge if possible to keep them out and if they do happen to get in it ain't that easy for them to get out especially when they're faced with a handful of stonnes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ive ben told by a vet this morning,that a bottle of another cats urine spread around the garden will actually ward off other cats,as the other cats will pick up the scent and not want to go into another cats zone.

Dont know if it works in reality,but it makes sense in thoery thiough.
    twonk donk

Maudi wrote: »
    twonk donk

Dont know what that reply is all about??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭bassy

Very good trounce bassy
    :)

i aim to please emer :)

Advertisement