Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heroes getting ridiculous [spoiler]

• 19-02-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Don't read this rant if you haven't seen up to episode 15.
    daiixi wrote:
    It's interesting that Peter booked a flight to Nevada to get away from people yet that's exactly where Ted is hiding out.
    The quote is from the thread discussing ep15*Run.
    These kind of coincidences are not interesting, happens way too often and it's why Heroes is getting ridiculous. Even in ep15 alone we have Jessica hired to kill that guy with the diamonds while the cop was hired as the bodyguard at the same time. We have guy who can melt stuff calling that Dr. Suresh just to have him arrive at the exact time that Sylar is paying a visit. Claire is Peter's niece now and that other guys daughter. God damn small world.

Damn writers using nothing but lame coincidences to make the different characters paths cross over and over and over. The situations are so god damn improbable that it's getting ridiculous and I am liking the show less and less because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is not supposed to be down to some form of genetic imperative that is drawing them all together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Preposterous TV is the norm now, and make some of the most successful shows right now: Prison Break, 24, Lost etc.

It's a show about superheroes, FFS!

Suspend your disbelief and enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Its a bit like a Thomas Hardy Novel, it uses plot coincidence to allow for character development. It is a valid reason to dislike it, as it can distract from the story, but remember that as long as the interpersonal realtionships reamin strong then the show is attaining its goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It's ridiculous, sure. Though it sort of adds to the comic-book style of the show.

Like how Nikki was released from prison and started [pretending to have a] family life again without much in the way of explanation.. it's almost refreshing that they didn't spend a couple of episodes fleshing that out, to be honest. The hows and the whys don't matter so much in a show like this, so long as where we are now is interesting. Heroes doesn't seem to have any pretences about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

basquille wrote:
    It's a show about superheroes, FFS!

Suspend your disbelief and enjoy!
    I can suspend my disbelieve and accept the wishy washy genetic mutation explanation for the super powers and the occasional coincidences which would be necessary to drive the plot along. But having so many implausible coincidences week after week just makes it really dumb. Lazy/bad writing at it's best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

As the creator of the show Tim Kring says in this interview
    the coincidences are part of the fun and I'd be inclined to agree with him.
    Well, these characters do start to cross in all sorts of interesting and coincidental and unexpected ways, which is one of the things that I was most fascinated with. I think that the audience is going to be really hooked on trying to guess and predict how these characters’ paths are going to cross.

So you take a character like Masi’s character, who’s an office worker in Tokyo and Hayden’s character, who’s a cheerleader in West Texas, and the idea of how those two characters will ever cross paths seems impossible and yet that’s what the fun of watching the show is, to see how it continues along for these two characters to actually come into contact with each other.

EDIT: broken link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well with
    The Claire thing: It figures that she'd be a blood relation to another "hero". It's how genetics works after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I came very late to the whole Heroes hype, after the US break. But I found myself drawn in by the "comic book" format and I've been watching since.
    However since it returned (I've only watched up to Ep 15) it strikes me that the TV network is starting to control it. The last few episodes have been pretty laboured and very little has really happened. I am inclined to agree with the OP, the fabric of the story is being stretched a bit. Some of the recent episodes have been so plodding that all kinds of stuff is being thrown in just to fill the episodes.

It makes me wonder if the "big event" is actually going to happen this season or will it just be a case of the TV network milking an idea that is making them lots of money and cynically dragging us into another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

is_that_so wrote:
    However since it returned (I've only watched up to Ep 15) it strikes me that the TV network is starting to control it.
    Yeah, I've been sensing a bit of that myself.

It's a pity, some of the best stuff really is being done on TV these days - but then there's that crippling need in TV-land to not only attract, but also maintain an audience. You can't wrap everything up too quickly (Lost, BSG and Heroes are three shows I watch and they all seem to be suffering a bit from this).

Still though, it's relatively early days for Heroes and I think it's far from loosing it's charm yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

meh I just sit back and enjoy. If I wanted to think deeply about something I wouldn't be watching television ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It was explained by one of Mohinder's monologues in one of the earlier episodes, maybe 6? He said that when a new species evolves the new individuals are drawn together from all parts of the world. That their paths will cross and their lives will start to inter-connect.

It's not actual science, but then again neither are telepaths, empaths or super healing factors. But it is the science of the show and world that has been created for the characters. The nature of the mutations which gives them their powers will also continue to draw them together, over and over until they become aware of each other and begin to band together as a consciouss decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hiro wrote:
    It is Destiny!

\(^_^)/
    >O.0)>
    <(0.O<
    \(^u^)/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

iguana wrote:
    It was explained by one of Mohinder's monologues in one of the earlier episodes, maybe 6? He said that when a new species evolves the new individuals are drawn together from all parts of the world. That their paths will cross and their lives will start to inter-connect.

It's not actual science, but then again neither are telepaths, empaths or super healing factors. But it is the science of the show and world that has been created for the characters. The nature of the mutations which gives them their powers will also continue to draw them together, over and over until they become aware of each other and begin to band together as a consciouss decision.

As seen by fly-boy hooking up with flame-lady , sexy-two-face gettin it on with intangible-tim. etc.

Plus there's that whole evil paper making organisation trying to track them down, and couple that with the Indian lads trying to pokemon up the situation... the coincidences aren't completely out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

CodeMonkey wrote:
    I can suspend my disbelieve and accept the wishy washy genetic mutation explanation for the super powers and the occasional coincidences which would be necessary to drive the plot along. But having so many implausible coincidences week after week just makes it really dumb. Lazy/bad writing at it's best.

But is it not intentional, and thereby not lazy. And what i mean by that is that there is a strong focus on 'Destiny' and the fact that all these people are special, and can change the world in the show.

Who is to say real life isnt like this (the coincidences, not the super powers), and we just dont get to see all the bits like we do in a TV SHOW!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

couple that with the Indian lads trying to pokemon up the situation...

LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

LOTP wrote:
    But is it not intentional, and thereby not lazy. And what i mean by that is that there is a strong focus on 'Destiny' and the fact that all these people are special, and can change the world in the show.
    It's ok if it's only a few coincidences and I'll ignore it even if it's between a small number of people with powers. But when this is happening all the time it's just lazy writing at it's best. Destiny is just an excuse for bad writing.
    Who is to say real life isnt like this (the coincidences, not the super powers), and we just dont get to see all the bits like we do in a TV SHOW!!!!
    People with a good grasp of probability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

And I assume that if you have a good grasp of probabilty then you know that just because something is unprobable, doesn't mean that it's impossible! Also, I think it's obvious that this show doesn't follow any established form of mathematics/science! As it's been said, sit back and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

There are also factors that are connecting all of the characters with powers other then their powers alone. All the people trying to find them: the company, Suresh gang, Sylar... and I'd imagine this Linderman chap might have a hand in such things too. It's no real suprise that they're all linking up.

Also... if you get a rare disease, one of the things you're going to do is try and get in touch with other inflicted people.

Advertisement