Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange problems using digiweb modem

Options
  • 19-02-2007 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

I just moved to Letterkenny to a house that recently installed a digiweb broadband modem.

Using it, I'm unable to log into hotmail, log into windows live messenger (but I can use other messengers), send emails from any web based mail client or using pop3 mail. I also wasn't able to post in any forums for a while but for some odd reason that has resolved itself. Also using skype or gtalk I can't recieve or make calls.

I'm certain there's no problem with my computer as I was using it on an eircom DSL router with the same config with zero problems. I am using a new wireless card but I have the same problems when I don't connect wirelessly which leads me to believe that this has to be a problem with the digiweb modem.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What are you on? DSL, Fixed Wireless, Satellite or Metro?

If it is DSL check the router & wireless settings are compatible with your PC settings.

How do you know the router (if it is a router) has the same settings?

I suspect you have DSL modem /Router/Nat/ WiFi as you mention wireless card and the other systems normally that is an extra box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

It's a satelite modem. When I connect directly to the modem there is no problem. When I attach a router I have all of the problems listed in the OP whether I'm connecting wirelessly or directly to the router.

I enabled port forwarding but that made no differnce.

Should the default gateway on my local machine be the address of the router or the modem? According to the digiweb website it should be the adress of the modem but if I change the gateway manually I can't connect to the internet at all.

The Router WAN ethernet needs IP address & GW from the Sat modem. As if it was the PC connected direct, and any other mysterious settings. I.e. DHCP, or PPPoE or PPPoA or VPN or what ever wierd setting it uses.

Then the Router is GW AND DNS for the PC. You must use STATIC not DHCP for LAN to make port forwarding work.

Make Router LAN address be 192.168.0.1, then this is GW AND DNS for PC. PC is then
    192.168.0.2 (or any other number EXCEPT 0, 1 or 255, for last group)
    Sub net 255.255.255.0

I have seen Sat modems working with Routers, so there is a magic set of settings that makes it all go.

GW = Default Gateway. Only ever filled on one network device if your PC has multiple network devices. Disable IEEE1394 by right click if it is in Network folder. DV camera doesn't use Network settings anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

watty wrote:
    The Router WAN ethernet needs IP address & GW from the Sat modem. As if it was the PC connected direct, and any other mysterious settings. I.e. DHCP, or PPPoE or PPPoA or VPN or what ever wierd setting it uses.

Then the Router is GW AND DNS for the PC. You must use STATIC not DHCP for LAN to make port forwarding work.

Make Router LAN address be 192.168.0.1, then this is GW AND DNS for PC. PC is then
    192.168.0.2 (or any other number EXCEPT 0, 1 or 255, for last group)
    Sub net 255.255.255.0

I have seen Sat modems working with Routers, so there is a magic set of settings that makes it all go.

I tried this but no joy. I can't use s static IP address. When I do I can't ping the modem.

• Advertisement

No. You mustn't confuse the WAN Ethernet port setup (must be DHCP or PPPoE or whatever) and the LAN ethernet port. The WAN Ethernet settings on the Router must be what ever the Satellite modem manual / Original PC settings were.

You must change the default LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 and disable LAN DHCP in the Router (NOT WAN) and then disable PC DHCP and enter all the static settings on your PC.

You can't have the Ethernet cable and the WiFi on the same computer enabled at the same time if you are using the same Subnet or not using DHCP. Disable Wireless adaptor in Network panel when using Ethernet cable and vice-versa when using WiFi (unless they are different in the 3rd group).

You may need to go to tools reboot on Router config web page, Do not disconnect power on it, use the menu options to save & reboot.

You may need to reboot the PC or Disable / re-enable Network Interface for PC to change from DHCP to Static (settings as described earlier).

If you gave Router 192.168.0.1 and PC 192.168.0.2
    C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\>

Run cmd (or Command for Win9x)
    Then see if you can Ping the Router (not the Modem). 192.168.0.1

Then if that works
    C:\>ping ftp.heanet.ie

Pinging ftp.heanet.ie [193.1.193.64] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=1670ms TTL=59
    Reply from 193.1.193.64: bytes=32 time=720ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 193.1.193.64:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

My router is not at that address nor do I have satellite, so obviously I have "faked" the numbers

Advertisement