Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 XDA Orbit

• 19-02-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

After reading a lot of online reviews I'm dying to get my hands on the Xda Orbit. It's been out in the UK since November 26th but o2 Ireland are still testing it and have no release date. Tried a few stores and also rang o2 themselves and none of them know when. Most think at the earliest it'll be out in April. Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Wheels wrote:
    After reading a lot of online reviews I'm dying to get my hands on the Xda Orbit. It's been out in the UK since November 26th but o2 Ireland are still testing it and have no release date. Tried a few stores and also rang o2 themselves and none of them know when. Most think at the earliest it'll be out in April. Anyone have any idea?

you could purchase the htc p3300/artemis from some place like expansys or clove.

the htc p3300/artemis is the same device but without the o2 branding.
    it's unlocked/sim-free so it would set you back 650 euro (or around 750-800 euro with bundled tomtom software iirc).

the htc artemis/p3300/xda orbit is a lovely looking device imho with a lot packed into it: wifi/gps/bluetooth/fm radio but no 3g unfortunately.

it has a TI omap 200mhz processor which i'm not sure about though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

I wasn't too keen on the processor either but most users have said it's not a problem, though they've reported that opening the windows folder takes an age (something a lot of PDA's suffer from). I've seen the artemis and I prefer the design of the Orbit, it's sleeker, I just wish o2 would release the damn thing. Two reviews I read said it had options for Irish settings so I don't see why its taken them this much longer then the UK to test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Just an update. Went into an o2 store today and was told it would be around 5-6 weeks before its out and that they were testing it with the new version of Windows Mobile, hence the delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wheels wrote:
    they were testing it with the new version of Windows Mobile, hence the delay.

I wonder are they utterly behind the times or utterly ahead of the times? The latest version of Windows mobile is version 6 as announced in the last week or so.

The Orbit runs Windows mobile 5. :)

/pedantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

I doubt it will be out in 5-6 weeks. The "software in testing" is a standard line that sales guys trot out when they are asked why phones are late. The bottom line is Ireland is a small market... and the operators have to buy in bulk to get at a reasonable price. So it takes them far longer to clear stock. The previous generation (xda mini etc) were available for almost a year in sim free before o2 released them.

What have they to test? GSM is a standard, so if it works in the UK and it works sim free what extra testing is there to do??

Vodafone have just released the n73 about 2 weeks ago (9 months after release)... and guess what Nokia have just announced its replacement the n77. I think Irish operators should skip a model year to catch up!

And the "latest version of windows" remark just proves they were fobbing you. I'd be in there buying if I'm wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

GUIGuy wrote:
    What have they to test? GSM is a standard, so if it works in the UK and it works sim free what extra testing is there to do??

It may work SIM free, but the phone is not setup to take advantage of the Irish network. For example, on my XDA Atom, I can't connect to GPRS (not that I care anyway), I had to manually configure it for MMS, I can't access the O2 Ireland specific menus that others can on thier Nokia phones. And so on....

They would be setting themselves up for a customer support nightmare if they unleashed them without testing.

Advertisement