Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA = percentage ???????

Options
  • 19-02-2007 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I've looking at the very unhelpful UCDD website for about 45 mins now and nowhere does it tell me what percentages relate to letter grades and GPAs its all so complicated :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

cosign the useless ucd site.
    when you get your results you get an A+,B-,C etc and so you should therefore be able to come up with a close rough idea to what your average % was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Off the top of my head, 4.2 is an A+, 4.0 is an A, 3.8 is an A-, going down in intervals of 0.2.
    As for percentages, an A- is roughly 70-73%, A is around 73-76%, and A+ is 76%-100%. D- starts at 40%, so if you add roughly 3, you'll get the next grade up (D, for example, is around 43%). I'll try and find the exact grading

Edit: Here we go, found on this page

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

so...does anyone know what a 1.1, 2.1 etc is equal to? 1.1=A, no?? i remember finding it one time long ago on that feckin site but can't seem to be able to anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I think it is a GPA of 3.68 or over = a 1st, GPA of 3.08 = 2.1, GPA of 2.48 = 2.2 and GPA of 2.0 is a pass

I did a thread on this a while back, do a search for it as i explained the general jist of it, i'm too tired to search now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

In one exam I got 88% = A+
    Another exam I got 87.87 (<--WTF?) = A

What's the story with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

BreadMonkey, you should have got a A+ for both of those results. Check it out with your lecturer who may have entered it into grade book incorrectly.

One thing to note is that getting 77% or 99% gives you exactly the same score. Bad results cannot be compensated easily under the GPA system. It rewards consistency more the brilliance in a number of exams. In the past if you got 6 90% scores and 6 50% scores you ended up with a first (70%). Now you would have a GPA of 3.4 - a second class honours.

Alternatively a student could score 10 B+'s and 2 A's and still get a first. When in the past they would have been in around 68%. So consistent results are the name of the game.

The real advantage of GPA is that it lets you compare your degree easily with international counterparts. A 2.1 means nothing to an American, in fact it look like you barely passed your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Does it actually matter to my GPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

Does it actually matter to my GPA?

Very much so. You get 4.2 for your A+ and 4.0 for your A. If you think it should have been an A+ then sort it out as quickly as possible.

Really they should bother giving percentages anymore. Grades will suffice. Your GPA is aggregated across your 12 individual module scores. Its not a case of your mean percentage being calculated and then being awarded a GPA score based on that.

Its amazing that the College brought in this system without making any attempt to explain it to the students. They should run information evenings with Q+A sessions. Its something the SU should do as well. There is so much misinformation and old wives tales going around. Students must be informed correctly.

Advertisement