Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ryan tubridy thinks of waterford

• 19-02-2007 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

In fairness to him he couldnt of spoken more highly of waterford.
    Why Waterford is booking fantastic
    But no shytarses got gallybandered

Another week, another train journey. This week we took the radio show to Waterford where we broadcast from one of the nicest bookshops in the country.
    The Book Centre is the literary hub of the southeast and is a unique looking shop given its former life as a cinema.
    It’s a long, narrow store with high ceilings and expansive walls, one of which is adorned with a mural by a local artist.
    The smell of coffee permeates the air and proves very conducive to browsing, one of my favourite pass times.
    There’s a pit like an orchestra’s den right in the middle of the shop and there are tables and chairs where you can sit, flick through the first few pages of your latest purchase and enjoy the bookish atmosphere.
    Like most clever bookshops of late, The Book Centre has a huge magazine selection and I was intrigued to learn that the biggest selling magazine is one that I buy monthly, namely Empire, the excellent movie mag.
    National Geographic and (another personal favourite) the BBC History Magazine are also big sellers. Anything to do with soccer and golf sells swiftly too it seems.
    While I was in the bookshop, I met and interviewed Cian Foley, local author of he Déise Dictionary of Waterford Slang (boy!).

Brilliant
    It’s a brilliant little book that guides the outsider through the tough terrain that constitutes the local dialect.
    So if you see a kid doing a knockadolly on a young lack’s door after she gets home from the pub gallybandered, be sure to gawk at him like an old moan bag and treat the brat like the shytarse that he is, you’ll know for sure you’re in Waterford!
    I had time to hang out with my old friend, Brother Columbanus Deegan, the Franciscan friar about whom I’ve written before.
    Now in his early eighties, the sprightly Dubliner who landed in Normandy around D-Day walked the streets of Waterford with us on Wednesday afternoon and admitted to being a big fan of American Chopper on Discovery Channel which he watches after his religious duties on a given day.
    I went up to the Waterford Institute of Technology as well and was most impressed. They are trying to get full university status, a process that will take some time but judging by the facilities and the commitment to the cause, it’s a very likely scenario for them.
    It was Rag week which meant lots of activities that end ed up in the very large bar.
    I was really surprised to learn that my own tipple, the pint of Guinness, doesn’t feature in the top eight favourite drinks for the modern Irish student. What they drink more than anything else is Bulmers.
    Heineken, Fosters and Budweiser, as well as vodka shots laced with Lucozade, are all more popular than the pint of Guinness.
    No sign of alco-pops either. But wait for the next Bulmers innovation which involves a pint being poured as usual but then the tap gets pushed and a layer of crushed ice is added to the fresh pint. Now, that will be a hit come June.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does he have a blog? Myspace? Bebo? ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

He was in Geoffs last Wed night, he pops down this way from time to time, his ex-wife is from here afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

mike65 wrote:
    Does he have a blog? Myspace? Bebo? ;)

Mike.

ha ha he could do but he has a column in the sunday world,that was taken from yesterdays paper 18/2/07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

...I was intrigued to learn that the biggest selling magazine is one that I buy monthly, namely Empire, the excellent movie mag.

I can only surmise that this is due to people having heard about these brilliant things called movies but this being Waterford have never really had the chance to experience them. Fair enough, they've had glimpses of the possibilities in the shape of the very popular masterpieces "Saw 15, Mortice And Tenon Joints Made Easy", or "Garfield, A Tale of Kitty Litter", with its record breaking 4 year run* in the luxurious popcorn strewn surroundings of the Waterford movie palace.

Right, I'll stop giving out about that hole on Patrick St. now. Well, at least until the next opportunity :D

* There was an unsubstantiated rumour that this only happened because the film reel was jammed on the projector, but I discount this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

His ex lack is from Larchville

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

meldrew wrote:
    His ex lack is from Larchville

She's a true blue blaa from Waterford city alright , but she's not from Larchville.

Advertisement