Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you discover it.....

Options
  • 19-02-2007 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

How did people find out about Firefly/or sernity[whatever you found out about first]?

i was recommmened to it by a fellow poster on the buffy board on www.tv.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

My dad told me that Serenity was supposed to be the best sci-fi opera made in a long time, and when i heard Joss Whedon (was a big fan of Buffy and angel) was director i had to go see it, so we went and i <3'd it.

Went out about 2 weeks later (having found out that there was originally a series that never aired in Ireland) bought the box set, watched it over the course of 2 weeks...best 2 weeks ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

One of my friends that I work with gave me a loan of the boxset after I saw the movie (didn't know it was based on a series either) and thought the series was pure class.

Then at Christmas when I saw all the boxsets in HMV I just had to have my own copy of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A friend went to the preview of Serenity because he's a Joss Whdon fanboy. Shortly afterwards he sat me down in front of the series, and I watched the whole thing in 1 night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ok before i start i want to say that huh?
    Em ok
    This is what i DID know as of 2005

There was a shight show called firefly that was so bad it got canceled after 1/2 a season and then they got to make a movie called serenity and that this movie was apparently amazing, so curies i wondered to the cinema saw it and thought ye that was ok/good but it had been over hyped i had heard it was groundbreaking on the level of the 1st star wars, and before you ask where i heard that it was either in this forum or if it was not around the TV or Films forum.

So i came out of the cinema and thought "eh it was alright"
    then about a year and a bit passed a good friend of mine said one night i the pub says did you ever see a show called firefly and i said isent that the crap show that got canned and he no No NOO its ****ing brilliant. I was not convinced but said meh **** it nothing else to do so next day he came down to mine we got binned and watched the pilot.

I Enjoyed it allot cought me completely off guard.

With BSG there is such a high expectation then again the quality of it is also amazingly high!

With Star trek i don't expect the quality of BSG but i do expect something

same with EVERY single show i watch so when i saw "pilot" i not only had no expectations like when any new show starts up, i had very bad expectations for firefly so i relay enjoyed the first episode.

Then came "Train Job" and i loved it so much absolutely brilliant my favurate bit was at the end when captain is giving the money back to niscas 2nd man and then he dosent accept it kicks him into the engine and then moves on.

What makes this show great is how real it is no petty morals or ideal views of the future like in ST.

I watched every single episode 2 times now and im doing everything i can to resist the urge to watch them a 3rd time before i can afford my new TV after this months paycheck
    I have them bought on DVD of coarse
    - anything i can do to help the signal
    Its hard tho when im bored and cant sleep my mind keeps telling me to watch the episodes but i relay want to wait it will be better on the big TV instead of PC monitor.

As for Serenity i watched it a 2nd time after i had seen the whole series and i loved it completely, it was sooo much better after seeing the show!

In fact in the ive seen it 5 times in the last 2 weeks

1st myself and 2 mates decided to watch it while we knock a few jds/vodkas into us 2 saturdays ago, we only got half way though then got the bus into town, then at bout 5am me and 1 mate who was still awake finished the movie then watched it again with the guy that missed it on satuday then twice on sunday with 2 other mates who had never seen it, then again 2 days ago and last nite was about to watch it with another mate of mine who hadent seen it but his girlfriend wanted to watch the departed (good movie seen it before)

There is only one TINY TINY little thing that bothers me in this movie. Remember the crashed ship on Miranda? they board it and then river goes over to the data recorder and plugs it in/inserts it into the slot - this is what gets me because in the recording its clear that she is killed and a rever would not unplug a data recording so it should still have been plugged in

Oh and of coarse the fact that in the series there is no sound in space and there is in the movie, must have been a hard decision to stick with the original show or add bangs and such for the mindless masses.

Serenity is a savage movie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZappaFrank
    I think Joss did a wonderful job of inviting newcommers into Serenity while keeping the faithful happy. My only problem is how long do i have to wait for the next movie? or next series? Hopely not long!

Im sorry but i do not understand i may have only got into firefly/serenity in the last 9-12 months but i do not understand what you are saying
    Why would any firefly or serenity fan want another movie made after serenity?
    Some of the best story arcs are gone, Shepperd i relay wanted to know what that mans story was, with him dead i would still watch more episodes
    but would find less enjoyable. Zoes husband is gone as well allot of there contacts it was a amazing movie but i just think that if they make more they should stand up and say "The movie serenity is not cannon, it was simply to show what we could do" whatever just continue on with the series because i don't mind wash dying as much but the crew was a family also imagie how bad Alen (Wash) and Won (Shepperd) are going to feel when there family (which is basically what the crew is to oneanother) goes on to make more episodes or movies without them?

The character interaction will not be the same, more firefly needed with all the characters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baz_
    An absolutely farking fantastic movie!!!
    I quizzed her a little on the way home from the movie, to see if comments like Osiris's above actually hold any water, and from her responses I would say not. She found the story to be quite complete, not too rushed, not too few details - just enough to know whats going on.

She didn't feel confused at any point about the characters inter-relations and I would have to put it down to Whedon's skill as a master craftsman of story telling.

That is exeatly how i felt when i saw the movie first without the series

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raphael
    *shrug* someone could be linked here without knowing what the thread is, or click on it by accident and read something they don't want to. THe spoiler tags are there, so use 'em

Actually if a topic says [SPOILERS] then you should not need to put them in your txt.
    Spoiler tags are there if there is a discussion about this movie here and someone goes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RandomUser
    I wonder what will happen next? will X charactor do X?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RandomUser2
    Spoiler: No what actually happens is X charactor does X

And if i am linked to a thread i tend to read the topic before the thread itself

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Earthhorse
    Where I felt left down though was on the lack of finale and the lack of impact of certain key events. Spoiler: Shephard and Wash's deaths meant nothing and felt like nothing even though they were too of my most loved characters. Shephard's death is in particular a disappointment given the rich back story his character more than likely has.
    Spoiler:

Second.
    I completely agree i mean wash i want him back just because he was a part of the family you know? but Shepherd he reminds me too much of "Gareck" from ds9. I love mystery in a character

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Earthhorse
    I also felt the story with the Reavers was somewhat lame. They were mentioned three or four times in the pilot, came into it briefly in an early episode and then were left behind. Good, is what I thought. The character interaction and development that sprung up in place of the Reaver storyline was far more entertaining and interesting. Yet here they are in the film and I can't help but feel their presence is somewhat flimsy.

No i think it is a good theory on how it happened. It makes sense i just don't like the time frame its too recent, if the Miranda event was so recent there would not have been enough time for the mythology of revers being men who saw the edge and lost the plot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sutty
    Anyway, I went to see the movie on Satuday. Met the_syco after it. (walking out of the cinema) Anyway, It was in UGC and screen one. Which I was happy about. They had filled it out as well. Which was what I was really happy about. Infact I dont think I have ever been so happy to be in a packed out cinema.

Is screan 17 not the biggest in UGC?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruff
    Will have to get the series of firefly off my cousins

Emm this is a bit of a problem because the show in question has been canceled.
    You should go buy the DVD box set of a canceled show instead of
    downloading/cousins whatever

You should go buy the DVD box set of any good show canceled or not for that matter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Storm
    Also the bad guys (forget name ....doh! ) were way too one-dimentional.

Completely disagree there. Great charactor and whats wrong with being one-dimentional there are people like that you know? his motives make perfect sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HavoK
    Now, on a basic level, it's a fantastic movie, but you'd really have to have seen the series first to truly appreciate it - some of the plot lines seemed grand to me, but its easy to forget that people who haven't seen the show are confused to say the least as the movie doesn't do a great job at filling in details us devoted show watchers already know.

I found it quite easy to watch and know what was going on having not seen the series at the time

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HavoK
    The special effects in the movie are infinitely better then those of the show, as are the gunplay action scenes, but overall it still thankfully feels like "Firefly", something I was afraid would be lost in the attempt to "hollywoodise" the movie for a bigger market. The humour was something I'd heard people complaining about in the movie, but if there was a difference between movie and series here, I didn't notice it and found the humour in the movie spot on, most notablely:

"Do you want to run this ship?"
    "YES!"
    "Well......you can't!"

Special effects mean **** all i still play the first CnC game and every now and again myself and my friends will sit down and play mario cart on the snes also i will watch a old movie with no complaints so Special effects are not anywhere near as important as dialog

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shay_562
    Book doesn't even get a mention. The simple reason is that I don't give a flying rat's ass about Book)

I suppose each person has there own character for me one of the worst things about the cancellation of firefly was no more book info

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan_y
    Also, I think Shepard Book used to be like the monster with a mission from god that played the bad guy in the movie. So if there is another series or movie, maybe he'll be back. Didn't anyone else think that he was sorta like Early from the final episode, except more eloquent?

Well i thought early was a very very funny charactor and his line
    "Thats not a sheaperd"

Book had a past and one of the reasons i watched ds9 for 7 years was to find out about gareck's past. Those types of characters are brilliant so much mystery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Minister
    I saw serenity, and am just watching Firefly now (streaming - for shame -, but I intend to get the DVD for Christmas). I have seen all the eps except Bushwacked and Our Mrs Reynolds (links kaput). Does anyone think that they could fit a series between Firefly and Serenity? There seems to have been a gap there (they could make Kaylee bulemic to explain her weight-loss ). They could use the gap to flesh out the reaver story, or clear up some of the story lines, make Shepard Book matter more etc.

Ye i suppose that would work and you would have wash back as well get to find out about book. ye i can see it working but if they do that then there will only be one more series thats it. I still say openly declare the film non--cannon its the only way

On another note what are you thinking? how can you enjoy watching a show you have not seen if you are watching the episodes in the wrong order?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

nice to see someone taking the effort lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Read some internet stuff about a sci-fi movie by Whedon based on a cancelled tv show.

A new housemate moved in at college. Lo behold he had the Firefly boxset.

Happy times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just started watching. I've seen the train job and half of the 2nd episode.
    kaimera wrote:
    Read some internet stuff about a sci-fi movie by Whedon based on a cancelled tv show.

It's cancelled?

FS. :/

Seemed pretty decent.

AYE........it only lasted 13 episodes[some say 14, i say i will batter ya you'se CROWSLAYERS if you dont shut ya mouth]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Khannie wrote:
    Just started watching. I've seen the train job and half of the 2nd episode.

It's cancelled?

FS. :/

Seemed pretty decent.

Just so you know, train job is the second ep. The first one is "serenity" (not the movie but the TV ep)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

A friend (now deceased) encouraged a group of us to go to Serenity. I loved it.

The longer post is contained in User 45701's post.

• Advertisement

so did anyone here hate firefly or serenity when they first saw it?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

My brother told me about a show that had just been cancelled and made me wwatch the pilot episode and after that I was completely hooked. WHY DID THEY CANCEL IT??? What morons...

Anyway, then I heard they were making a movie so I went to see Serenity as soon as I could. Brilliant, but still not even close to as good as the TV show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The same way that I watched buffy and angel on the tv from the first airing of the polit :)

I was gutted when I heard it was to be canceled and watched the drama unfold both on and off screen.

The film was good but tbh I exected more.

Advertisement