Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league Last 16

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/european_cl_index.html

Pool game online for those withoout tvs or working etc:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay okay enough of what nearly happened and onto the main course!

Reina, Arbeloa, Riise, Agger, Carragher, Finnan, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Kuyt, Bellamy

Subs Dudek, Hyypia, Pennant, Crouch, Gonzalez, Mascherano, Zenden.

Barca -
    Valdes, Belletti, Puyol, Marquez, Zambrotta, Xavi, Motta, Deco, Messi, Saviola, Ronaldinho. (yikes)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anyone know the name of the opening tune on RTE CL programme tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Barca 1-0 Pool

Deco 13th minute

Gerrard was poor, didnt tackle hard, great cross and a simple header..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ronaldo wasn't injured, he didn't want to come off and shook his head in disgrace. Also, avoided acknowledging fergie when he came off.

people complain about lack of excitement, but SAF always plays it safe away from home in europe. He knows utd can beat anyone at home, therefore getting a 0-0 away or nicking a 1-0 victory is job done.

the handbrake isn't released until utd go behind or NEED to score. Not tactics I agree with, but this season, it's working. It's not surprising to see a very cautious Utd side in the CL after what happened last season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

KdjaCL wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/european_cl_index.html

Pool game online for those withoout tvs or working etc:

kdjac

fantastic. Barca v Liverpool on one screen and Everton v Spurs on another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nice celebration by Bellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1-1 Bellamy classy celebration by bellamy :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bad keeping tbh, should be a good second half now. Gerrard was very bad for the first.

I switched over at just before 8 pm and it was Men (Barca) and against boys, they were so much better in thier touch and movement but after the goal gradually they seemed to loose thier grip and Liverpool just started to show some signs of life.

Then BANG! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement

HT Scores:

Barca 1-1 Pool
    Dreadful goalkeeping allows Liverpool back in.

Porto 1-1 Chelsea
    Terry gone off injured after 14 minutes..

Inter 1-0 Valencia

Roma 0-0 Lyon

Yea Terry was off when Porto scored, he went off for treatment after 8 mins but wasn't replaced until after the goal at 15 minutes. Big big blow for Chelsea if he's out for a while.

What is Dunphy on tonight? Puyol - poor??? He has played very well and it one of the best defenders around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Bellamy should have done better with the header he had a few mins before the goal.
    2 good positions, 1 goal.

Nice way to end the fist half and I'm hopeful we can stifle Barca this half and maybe sneak another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bellers celebration was legendary alright

Football/Tshirts365 will be delighted!!!
    http://www.tshirts365.com/sportshop/productpage/1,17576,7582_10063_1662943,00.html?productid=275783

mike65 wrote:
    I switched over at just before 8 pm

Mike.

Sounds familier, Peace Treaty to allow Corrie to be seen first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was switching between the Chelsea and Pool games, but the annoying biased rantings of Ray Wilkins turned me back to the Pool game fully. Seriously, I hate when Sky have former players with an attatchment to one of the clubs commentating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Porto goal was a deflection of Lampard I think. Oh the Irony!

Awful defending 1-2 Liverpool

• Advertisement

Terrible from Barca, nice vision from Bellamy and great finish from Riise.

Barca 1-2 Pool

More comical defending by the Champions..
    Great pass by Gerrard, Kuyt unlucky, good vision by Bellamy and a nice finish by Riise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is Saviola taking the p*ss? LOOK UP BEFORE YOU SHOOT YOU CLOWN!!!! At least twice now he's done that

Yep Eto would have finished both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

zenden, sigh....

Full-times:

Barca 1-2 Pool

Porto 1-1 Chelsea

Inter 2-2 Valencia

Roma 0-0 Lyon

• Advertisement

Well that's that, maybe for the whole tie. I wouldn't fancy Barca at Anfield, if tonight is anything to go by.
    Not taking anything away from Liverpool but Barca were architects of their own downfall, calamitous goalkeeping and shocking defending for the goals.
    And a nice bit of irony to top it all off, Riise and Bellamy the scorers. All we needed was Dudek to come on and save a penalty to make it really creepy :)

You have to laugh, unless you're Frank Rijkaard. If Liverpool can beat them playing very limited football in the Noo Camp then I can't see them loosing at home in front of 44000 mad-for-it Reds.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Credit to Liverpool for doing their job, but boy was that job made so much more easy by Barcelonas comedy defense.

Barcelona were utter crap tonight, and I would be very surprised if they score in Anfield and not concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mike65 wrote:
    You have to laugh, unless you're Frank Rijkaard. If Liverpool can beat them playing very limited football in the Noo Camp then I can't see them loosing at home in front of 44000 mad-for-it Reds.

Mike.
    I feel sorry for Rijkaard, no wonder he wants to leave that circus with performances like that. Also, RTÉ panel were bang on about Ronaldinho not being bothered, his ego needs taking down a a notch as it's costing the team.

Was delighted to see Barcelona lose, especially after Gerrard got spat at, Barca fans started throwing crap on the field, Barca players with their usual theatrical diving, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

What was with Rijkaard in the interview after? He's either a very stressed man or there was a fly near his head...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

That'll do 'pool, that'll do :)

anyone have any links to the interviews after the game? particularly Bellamy and Rijkaards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool

A very good result for Liverpool which gives them a one goal advantage and two away goals in the tie. Rafa must be reading boards.ie as he played a good 4-4-2 formation which offered a threat in attack:

Reina
    Finnan - Carragher - Agger - Arbeloa
    Gerrard - Alonso - Sissoko - Riise
    ---- Kuyt
    Bellamy

The only surprise for me was the selection of Arbeloa. Indeed, my worst fears were realised when he had a poor position for Barca's first goal. To be fair to him, he played okay at times and he may turn out to be a okay player in the long-term. Putting him in for tonights match was a gamble. Riise was certainly a good help.

Likewise Gerrard on the right was a useful help for Finnan. Gerrard kept coming into the centre of the park though which is what he was used to doing in recent months anyway.

Liverpool had an early chance from Riise and they should have probably scored from that. Barca were also much in control after the first goal. But the equaliser was fully deserved. Whether over the line or not, Valdes clearky thought that it was as he vainly had to try and shove it out, and the linesman had already given it.

Kuyt should have scored from his header, and again when put through, only for Bellamy to very intelligently lay it across to Riise who finished in Riise-style.

People may say that there are problems at Barca, and there are, but with Messi back to his jinking best, and with Deco playing well, Ronaldinho too, Barca were a handful.

The tie is by no means over, but its clearly advantage to Liverpool. If Barca do get the first goal in the return leg, it may be a difficult night.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

KdjaCL wrote:
    1-1 Bellamy classy celebration by bellamy :eek:

kdjac

I say fair played to him. I doubt there is a hope in hell he would have done this if the golf club stories were accurate. More tabloid ****e I bet.

As for the game. Liverpool in a very very strong position for the second leg. Played within themselves for half the match too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

With the scores after the 1st legs as follows, I'm predicting the following to get through:

Celtic - Milan 0-0 => AC Milan
    PSV - Arsenal 1-0 => Arsenal
    Lille - Man Utd 0-1 => Man Utd
    Real Madrid - Bayern 3-2 => Bayern Munchen
    Roma - Lyon 0-0 => Lyon
    Barcelona - Liverpool 1-2 => Liverpool
    Porto - Chelsea 1-1 => Chelsea
    Inter - Valencia 2-2 => Valencia

That would result in:
    England - 4 teams
    Italy, Germany, Spain, France - 1 team each

With Bayern Munich spluttering in their own league, AC Milan also a weakened team, there is a very strong chance that the winner will come from England, as it would seem that only Valencia and Lyon stand in their way.

Having said all that, there is likely to be at least one surprise in the 2nd legs and Arsenal are currently in the weakest position.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sky Sports News were giving the odds this morning on the winners. Chelsea were favs at 4/1 but Liverpool were way out at 25/1. Thought they would be shorter after last night. Defo worth a fiver if youre a scouser.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i saw last night that liverpool were gone from 33-1 to 7-1, what bookies were sky quoting??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Prob their own skybet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Magnificent performance from Liverpool. Bellamy is a legend. Unless Eto'o is restored to the team prompto then it's bye bye Barca.

I think 3-2 was a decent result for Madrid. They're actually better away from home this season and Bayern are nothing special. Madrid always seem to be in turmoil but that didn't stop them from winning it in 98 and 00 - the year they got hammered 3 times out of 4 by Bayern, and still came out on top!

Valencia are my dark horses for CL and league double this season. I fully expect them to beat Inter at home (and that's not forgetting they lost 5-1 to Inter at the Mestalla a couple of seasons ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can still see Barcelona winning their tie.Real Madrid will have it all to do in Munich and Valencia have to be favourites now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    With the scores after the 1st legs as follows, I'm predicting the following to get through:

Celtic - Milan 0-0 => AC Milan
    PSV - Arsenal 1-0 => Arsenal
    Lille - Man Utd 0-1 => Man Utd
    Real Madrid - Bayern 3-2 => Bayern Munchen
    Roma - Lyon 0-0 => Lyon
    Barcelona - Liverpool 1-2 => Liverpool
    Porto - Chelsea 1-1 => Chelsea
    Inter - Valencia 2-2 => Valencia
    Basically it's all the group winners. Benfica were the only team last season who came 2nd in their group to make the QF's. Playing the first leg away and 2nd at home makes a huge difference.

btw - Is Mike Riley supposed to be a decent ref? I watched Roma - Lyon and I'd go as far as saying Roma would have won if there was decent officials. He seemed terribly biased.

It was a very stop start game with bookings galore so the 1 minute added on in the first half was strange. Bang on 45 minutes and Roma had a corner. 20 seconds later and the ball is still inside the Lyon half with Pizarro who is about to chip it into the crowded box. Riley blows up and Pizarro looked bewildered.
    He also blew up for a free against Roma as soon as they took a free kick into the box when absolutely nothing happened.
    Totti was ruled offside when he was one on one with the keeper but was actually onside. The exact same thing happened to Mancini. It would have surely have resulted in 1, most likely 2 goals. And finally, he booked Mancini for falling as it much have been a dive since it's an Italian club... Although Pizarro's dive was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eirebhoy wrote:
    And finally, he booked Mancini for falling as it much have been a dive since it's an Italian club... Although Pizarro's dive was terrible.
    Surely not as bad as Gilardinos against Celtic. That was one of the rubbishest dives 've ever seen.

eirebhoy wrote:
    btw - Is Mike Riley supposed to be a decent ref? I watched Roma - Lyon and I'd go as far as saying Roma would have won if there was decent officials. He seemed terribly biased.
    He equalled the European record for bookings in one match. I think it was 11!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

eirebhoy wrote:
    btw - Is Mike Riley supposed to be a decent ref? I watched Roma - Lyon and I'd go as far as saying Roma would have won if there was decent officials. He seemed terribly biased

he is a shockingly bad referee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not the CL but UEFA cup. Blackburn game on Setanta now.

Brian Kerr talking beforehand and critisciseing Leverkusen for not knowing how to win 3-1 when 3-1 up. Basically saying they dont knwo how to sit on a lead. I'm guessign the irony has compeltely passed him by.

Advertisement