Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stronger tyres?

Options
  • 19-02-2007 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I think it was cormie's thread a while back about tyres for a van that got me thinking. There was talk of stronger van tyres for load carrying. Does anyone knwo if there is similar for cars?

My dad is due new tyres, the old ones are under a lot of strain due to him carrying a lot of tools and other plumbing gear, they nee topping up fairly regularly and dont seem to be able to take the weight.

If there isnt specific reinforced car tyres, does anyone have any recommendations or experience with tyres that have been used in cars carrying a lot of weight. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

All tyres cary a load rating, just pick the highest possible for the required size.

see here:
    http://www.blackcircles.com/general/sidewall

the "91" is the load rating

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are reinforced tyres for vans and some MPVs and SUVs. Just be sure the load rating and speed ratings are correct for the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stekelly wrote:
    My dad is due new tyres, the old ones are under a lot of strain due to him carrying a lot of tools and other plumbing gear, they nee topping up fairly regularly and dont seem to be able to take the weight.
    Is he using the correct tyre pressures, many cars need higher pressures when carrying a full load (to prevent tyre overheating and risk of a blowout.) There may be other advice in the handbook, like carrying heavy items as far forward as possible to distribute the stress more evenly between front and rear.
    Shouldn't really be necessary to change the type of tyres unless he's exceeding the maximum payload weight, if he is then suspension and brakes will be overloaded not just tyres... it's not safe to ask any vehicle to do a job it's not designed to do.
    Finally - check he isn't lighting up the treetops with his dipped beams :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement