Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer doesn't want to connect to the internet

Options
  • 19-02-2007 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Today after I turned on my computer it just wouldn't connect to the internet. I have broadband from BT, that makes a difference.

I opened firefox and no pages will load, it'll just say that there was a problem trying to connect to the page. I tried MSN messenger and it won't connect, neither would steam.

So I restarted my PC, no luck. Then I switched off my router, switched it back on after a minute or two, and it works! But only for a few minutes, before it loses the connection again.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

yeah my BT broadband is fcuked tonight too

i'm in Dublin 15 - it looks like the DNS servers are down. I'm using a direct ip address VPN to get connectivity, but its pig slow!

if anyone from BT sees this and would care to shed some light on this, please do!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

ditto..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

BT back ! Its a real pain this on / off service. What P""ses me off is that they then charge you for using Dial-up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Use Eircom DNS 192.111.39.1 &.4 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

ongarite wrote:
    Use Eircom DNS 192.111.39.1 &.4 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220.

I was down last night too... for future reference, how do I use above DNS as you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dns fiels on your router, usually same page as usename and password for dsl and dsl settings, use opendns + bt dns not opendns + eircom dns (you may normallly enter 2 dns servers ip addresses )

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

ongarite wrote:
    Use Eircom DNS 192.111.39.1 &.4

Those are BT DNS servers.

There is another thread on this board which will explains how to reconfigure your DNS either on your modem/router or on your PC: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055056467

Advertisement