Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT'ing an import

Options
  • 19-02-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

NCTS can issue your certificate up to six months early for a first time NCT and three months early for subsequent NCT tests. In other words, if your car was first registered in July and you are coming for your first NCT, you can have it tested up to 6 months early in January and your certificate will still expire on the anniversary of registration 2 years later. Your certificate is then valid for 2 years and 6 months.
    Does this only count for new cars, or imported older cars that are going for their first NCT.

Reason I ask is that my car was registered 17/09/1990, so I'm hoping I can get an NCT date after 17th March and get 2 1/2 years NCT.

Can anyone help?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

afaik, the car will be nct'd and re nct'd on its date of original registration.

what car is is btw?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Cheers for the reply, that's a pity!

Car in question is a 1990 BMW 318iS :)
    SSA42100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

You will only get NCT'd for a year on an import the first time around. I can't point you to a source as I can't be arsed, but I've been through the process so it's from experience.

(Oh... yes, you still pay the full NCT fee ('2 years' worth) btw - as if VRT wasn't enough, just keep the scamming rollin' on :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

when was the car regged over here

i think i have this right i dont know all the details so just say the car was bought new in the uk on the 17/09/1990 you brought it over last week and you payed the vrt yesterday the nct should of been done last september so you can get it done and you should get nct to 09/08 provided the info is right and it went on to there system correctly

• Advertisement

Date of first purchase has nothing to with NCT for an import. The relevant date will be the date at which it gets IE reg'd (you can't NCT without getting your IE reg first). So if you bring it in today 20/02/07 and get it successfully reg'd and tested today, you'll get an NCT valid until end 02/08. The next NCT (in 02/08) will be 02/10 (the full 2 years).

M8, I'm not p1ss1ng on youre shoes, I've been through it with a '98 UK import in March 2005. First NCT disc was until 03/06, current NCT disc is 03/08. Car was sold new in UK in May 1998.

Make of it what you will.

the date the car was regged over here has nothing to do with the nct they work off when the car was first regged in any country i have a car sales yard and deal with this every week i regged a car last week went up to the nct with the car and the vrt invoice got it tested and only got 4 months on it because of the date it was first regged in the uk and it has happened that the wrong dates get put up on the their system i havent dine this just once i have done it loads of time so thats what happens anytime i do it

ambro25 just read your post again you said it happened in may 2005 with a 98 import in which you got ten months and not one year as you stated i say your car was regged in the uk in 03/98 and was only sold in may which happens with a 98 car if you got it tested in 05 you will only get done until 06 i just rang the nct help desk and they told me its from when its regged in the uk i only rang so i knew that i was saying was right you can ring them and see what they say the number is 1890 200 670 not trying to p1ss u off but what you said was wrong

Fair enough (don't worry, not getting p1ssed off @ ya ;)), but that means I got diddled by the NCT crowd: explain where I was wrong in my earlier posts, when I stated you only get one year NCT (a maximum of) for a fresh import, since that's what both the Tallaght VRO and the NCT crowd told me back in '05 :confused:

Car was 1st reg'd as new in UK in May 1998, I imported/reg'd/NCT'd in March 2005. So my NCT should have been until May 06 (or even May 07 if it should have been for the full 2 years) - it wasn't, the NCT cert was until March 06. So what gives?

sorry i got the reg date uk and reg date irl mixed up if your work it out by the way i did its right apart from they put the reg month down as march instead of may if you had of brought it in 2004 you would of gotten two years or close to it infact if you had of brought it in march 04 you should of gotten it untill may 06 when they told you would only get a year on it i say they were talking about your car and not in general

i was saying your post saying that Date of first purchase has nothing to with NCT for an import thats whats wrong what could of happened with yours is when they put it into the nct system they put the wrong month down

• Advertisement

Mick - Car was registered Monday 5th February (but shown as 13th Feb on Logbook). I thought my car would have been due for NCT 09/07, but if it's 09/08 then its excellent!

Ambro - I'm pretty sure it's done by the first registration date in the original country - its how it's been with the other imports I've VRT'd, but I was wondering whether the 6month rule applied only to 4 year old cars!

So I'm guessing I'll just book my NCT now, and if it passes I'll receive a disc saying 09/08?

commited did u tax it on the 13th by any chance does it say the date it was first regged on the log book if your booking it best thing to do is go to your local nct centre and bring the log book with you cos sometimes after you tax it they dont get it on the system that quick

It was taxed on the 14th I think - I cant remember!

I'll take it up to the local NCT centre at some stage soon enough. It has MOT until April, so my insurnace is valid until then..

Advertisement