Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 DataCard

Options
  • 19-02-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I gotr the 3 Datacard last week and although I get a 5 bar signal all the time my download speeds are very low.
    Download speed of 178kbps and upload of 53kbps from irishisptest.com

Anyone know why this is the case?
    Also I went into the network setting of the card and set teh connection type to 3G only,

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what is the bearer name ??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Not sure what you mean by bearer name spongebob

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

178kbps is OK for 3G. Slower than peak HSDPA. But does connection type "3G only" mean no HSDPA?

HSDPA may peak at 3Mbps and give 100k to 200k when a bunch of folks on sector.

Plain 3G will do more than 200kbps and drop to 60k when a bunch on the sector.

Either will give worse than dialup if a bigger bunch of users on the same sector.

Canvass for more phone masts. Makes for higher speed, more users and if there was a health issue (I don't believe there is) then it would reduce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Three may have to change your settings - call them and see. (they operate 24 hrs)

Since the high speed service went live I've been getting between 800kbs and 1.6mb in Dublin, Kildare Town & Athy at all times. Best was just over 2mb in Dundrum on Sunday morning.

Upload speed is still about 60kbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

dont bother with any speed tester for 3G data cards, they dont give a true reading IMO, i have both the voda and the Three cards. go to a large, well known site that you know has a good server, i find microsoft.com to be fast most of the time, and download a 10Mb+ file, have a look at the download speed then, with 3G you should see speeds of around 44Kbps download and around 160kbps on HSDPA

I must stress that these numbers i have just given depend on a lot of things and are optimal, real world speeds are much much less at peak times.

• Advertisement

Was getting 780 k download today when I was trying it a mile away from home. However the starnge thing was that it had only 2 bars in the reception. Now that i'm back home I have 5 bars again and back to 170 k download

foxirl wrote:
    Was getting 780 k download today when I was trying it a mile away from home. However the starnge thing was that it had only 2 bars in the reception. Now that i'm back home I have 5 bars again and back to 170 k download

It is VERY strange indeed, i have the same issue sometimes, 3 bars is slower and less reliable than when i move the antenna and pick up 2 bars.............I know for a fact its not changing masts..........may be a software glitch i am thinking, either that or its just one of the wonderful characteristics of 3G.

Hi,

Rang the support and was told that I may be connecting with 3G in one location and HSDPA in the other which would explain the differences. I'm not convinced.

They say if the light on the card is flashing blue it means HSDPA, if its just continuous blue it's 3g and a green light means 2G.
    Might light is always continuous blue.

The documnetation that came with the card says if the light on the card is light blue it means HSDPA, if its just blue it's 3g and a green light means 2G.
    So i ma going to compare shades of blue tonight.

foxirl wrote:
    Hi,

Rang the support and was told that I may be connecting with 3G in one location and HSDPA in the other which would explain the differences. I'm not convinced.

They say if the light on the card is flashing blue it means HSDPA, if its just continuous blue it's 3g and a green light means 2G.
    Might light is always continuous blue.

The documnetation that came with the card says if the light on the card is light blue it means HSDPA, if its just blue it's 3g and a green light means 2G.
    So i ma going to compare shades of blue tonight.

The bit about flashing blue is rubbish, if its connected its solid blue no matter if its HSDPA or 3G, it flashes blue when it has 3G signal but not connected.

Advertisement