Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Japanese lessons

Options
  • 19-02-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi!,
    Well i'll get to the point,i need Japanese lessons.I am sitting an enterance exam in 12 months for a course kyoto university and i dont speak a word of Japanese!.i have looked everywhere and cannot find classes in Ireland(mabye im just blind).The probability of getting myself up to scratch by that time is very slim so i may have to wait two years,either way i am in dire need!!

Does anyone know of any teachers or learning centres??

*note, i am not loooking for some half-assed place where i wont get anything out of it,i want the best.the kind that give you homework of four hours a night job!!.If a personal tutor exists for reasonable prices and flexible hours that too would be amazing.

Bty i live in Greystones and all traveling will be by public transport.So please keep that in mind.

Any and all help will be welcomed thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What level do you need to be at exactly, in terms of speaking, reading and writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 denvey

This is the specifics i took off their website.

The minimum language proficiency requirement is equivalent to Level II of the Standard Japanese Language Proficiency Test organized by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES) in Japan (and by the Japan Foundation outside Japan), which is offered in December.(See also a comprehensive description at Wikipedia). (Some areas such as Manga Production are more highly language-oriented, and require Level I, or over 280 points in the EJU exam).
    - At Level II of SJLPT you are required to have "mastered grammar at a relatively high level, about 1,000 kanji and 6,000 vocabulary words, and to have the ability to converse, read and write about matters of a general nature". (Approximate study period, 600 hours; level, intermediate).
    - It is not necessary to provide a certificate of proficiency level from a SJLPT test, but we do require documentation of your Japanese language study history concerning study period and level.
    - We also accept results from the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU), a test carried out twice a year (June and November).

Im aware that in the timeframe i have given (13 months) that the probability of myself getting up to that standard is very slim.but i would be willing to put ALOT of efforet in,more so that just a couple of hourse a week.

To be honest, I would say that it would be incredibly difficult to pass the level II proficiency test with one year's study. And considering that the examination is in December, your time is quickly running out.

If you are serious, I would suggest that you aim to learn by yourself the level IV course. It is a solid foundation to the language, and you'll have a better idea of the time you'll need to learn various aspects, before commiting your money to it. There are tonnes of useful sites out there on the net, but for kanji recognition I recommend speedanki.com, and about.com's Japanese section for basic grammar points.

Is it possible to defer this course for a year? If so, Japan & Ireland have a 1 year working-holiday visa, and you'll have no trouble finding work as an English teacher in Japan. They do say that the best way to learn a language is to live in the country! Check out http://www.teachinjapan.com/

Thanks for the advice,and yes i can defer which is most likely what i will be doing.But still do you know of anyone whos teaches japanese here at all?

Not that I am aware of. There were conversational classes in Trinity, but I'm not sure if they're still around. There is also a conversational exchange on in the Ilac Library on friday mornings. Check out the Japanese embassy's website, they'll have links to other Japan-centred groups that may be able to help you.

• Advertisement

ok cool,thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

My wife is a native Japanese speaker and also a qualified teacher. We have a lot of teaching materials in the house, mainly Level 4 and Level 3 preparation. However, she would be charging a fair market rate for teaching, so it wouldn't be cheap.

To be honest (and I don't want to discourage you by any means) it seems to me all but impossible to reach Level 2 even in time for the 2008 exams. A more realistic (but still not easy) goal would be to reach Level 4 in 2007 and Level 3 in 2008.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll ask my wife if she's interested.

Yes definately,please any information would be great.Could you please pm me on the prices or flexibilty of days and times for teaching or you can post it here if you like.
    Thank you for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Denvey,

I've sent you a PM. Check your inbox!

Dara.

Hmm i emailed you last night,did you not get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Lacertus

hibby wrote: »
    My wife is a native Japanese speaker and also a qualified teacher. We have a lot of teaching materials in the house, mainly Level 4 and Level 3 preparation. However, she would be charging a fair market rate for teaching, so it wouldn't be cheap.

To be honest (and I don't want to discourage you by any means) it seems to me all but impossible to reach Level 2 even in time for the 2008 exams. A more realistic (but still not easy) goal would be to reach Level 4 in 2007 and Level 3 in 2008.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll ask my wife if she's interested.

hibby i was studying in sandyford college but it wasnt a very good place teaching was bad and it was up a few steps so it was quite tuff to get in most the time due to being in a wheelchair but im struggling to find anyone who can teach me japanese and would pay any coast, any chance as u said your wife is a tuter that i could get lessons off her, it would be great if so, thanks alot,

by the way sandyford college in marion square dublin city teach japanese but its teached poorly still its somthing

Advertisement