Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riot squad to be at Croker on Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What exactly is a "positive statement" about the GAA accepting large sums of money to let non GAA sports be played in Croke park? Lets face it, at the end of the day there is no other reason for this decision to have gone through than enormous amounts of shiny coinage and the greed attendant with that.

Or is it some sort of "end to racism against English people" thing going on? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but traditionally, the boot was on the other foot, and it wasn't Irish people that were racist against the English. We have nothing to prove in that court, despite the feeling among some (and I'm looking at you Seanies32) that Ireland is somehow "narrow minded" in that respect.

As I see it, the single and only traditional Irish sporting organisation has reversed its rules about the exclusive use of its sporting grounds, so that they can be used by anyone, in exchange for a fat sack of cash, and under pressure from the political head of the country, that gobshite bertie, no less.

I find a great deal to object to in that.

It doesn't undermine Irishness or whatever, but don't you think it makes us a bit of a laughing stock?

Far more people in England will be aware of Bloody Sunday and the GAA after Saturday. Ireland has nothing to prove to England. I would like to think that we are an independent country that stands equal with others. The Americans and Australians where racist against the Irish in the past. Surprising actually how anti-catholic Australia was. The Catholics only really started getting education rights in the 40's and 50's. Quite similar to Northern Ireland in ways. No Compromise Rules in Croker either then?

I take your point on the opening of the ground for money. Amazing how Croke Park was developed without being closed! 75% of delegates didn't though. The delegates would be more conservative than most GAA Supporters. A democratic decision was made by a democratic organisation. 75% is quite a majority. The ground is only open to other sports while Lansdowne is being redeveloped. It would take another vote to open it permanently which I think would be a different matter entirely.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

rb_ie wrote:
    I really hope nothing happens. Last years riots were unbelievably embarrassing, as was the Gardaí's handling of it (I mean, how many actually got punished for their behaviour in the end?).

Though, given the sheer volume of retarded little shams in this country, it is a frightening possibility. I just hope that, should anything happen, the Gardaí handle it appropriately.

I'd actually go so far as to say I'd be happy to see the Gardaí take off their ID numbers and start kicking lumps out of each and every little sham involved.

As with last years trouble, I will know something is going to happen when I get the Arrow, if its packed full of Chav Scum heading into town (as it was last year) then I may not bother going. Unfortunately, there is also no shortage of Trailer Trash, only too happy to answer the call, and defend our culture by causing trouble. SAD !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It doesn't undermine Irishness or whatever, but don't you think it makes us a bit of a laughing stock?
    And having to of played "home" games in Cardiff when a perfectly adequate stadium sits empty back in Dublin wouldn't have given anyone a reason to laugh at at the Irish all now would it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

From speaking to a Garda inspector today they are expecting TROUBLE big time

well are they going to **** it as badly as they did last time, is that there plan( or did they plan that I still wonder), to leave a treaure trove of materials on the route for missiles, ?

its right to point out the riot squad are always on duty? for most large events even the most benign, they seem to get their practice from shels matches though.

if they try to break up the RSF protest outside in north dublin, there will be trouble, yes they just need to be invisible unless there really needed, I don't how a few RSF could start trouble when the anthem is played in the stadium ? I presume the seats are well screwed down...

any english/loyalist coming to the match to make trouble?

best bet is let protests burn out, but if they need to make political point the riot cops are very good starting riots

From speaking to a Garda inspector today they are expecting TROUBLE big time

well are they going to **** it as badly as they did last time, is that there plan( or did they plan that I still wonder), to leave a treaure trove of materials on the route for missiles, ?

its right to point out the riot squad are always on duty? for most large events even the most benign, they seem to get their practice from shels matches though.

if they try to break up the RSF protest outside in north dublin, there will be trouble, yes they just need to be invisible unless there really needed, I don't how a few RSF could start trouble when the anthem is played in the stadium ? I presume the seats are well screwed down...

any english/loyalist coming to the match to make trouble?

best bet is let protests burn out, but if they need to make political point (maybe it doens't suit the gov at the mo? or does it) the riot cops are very good starting riots

when was the anthemn played before?

Why is it that people only seem to cause trouble at the beginning of the week? I mean there's never been a Bloody Tuesday or Wednesday.

Anyways, I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near the center of Dublin on Saturday. Riots or not, that place is going to be insane with drinking, traffic and general mayhem. Much like any other day then I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭crybaby

i have a feeling the RSF lads might try and kick something off before the match but I think the Gardai will have learnt their lession from the Love Ulster march and will be able to control it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Hold on a minute there, maybe I'm missing something but why did they need to use Croke park in the first place? Isn't the use of Croke park an attempt to make a cack-handed political comment in and of itself?
    I don't agree that it was the intention, the use of Croke Park is simply because Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped. If it wasn't being redeveloped, there would be no need for it.
    Lets face it, at the end of the day there is no other reason for this decision to have gone through than enormous amounts of shiny coinage and the greed attendant with that.
    Perhaps, that's a matter for the GAA and GAA supporters though. What was your opinion on holding the special olympics ceremonies there, with all the anthems and flags that were part of the day?
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but traditionally, the boot was on the other foot, and it wasn't Irish people that were racist against the English. We have nothing to prove in that court
    You are familiar with the IRA surely, and their bombing campaigns in Britain in recent years. Don't you think that people would find the translated version of the Irish national anthem more offensive than a jingle about a grey old queen? It is not all one-sided, the only difference is that I haven't heard any English rugby fans complaining about such things.
    I don't like the idea of making any particular group a laughing stock, but it is completely bizarre that this debate is going on after all of Ireland's economic success, and despite what Ireland has proved about itself as a country. It is the anti-British arguments that are often put forward which are, as they should be, the subject of ridicule, and not the use of Croke park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    They are there because they are anti-brittish.

I don't think it's even that - they're there because they're scum looking for trouble, and they'll use any excuse whatsoever (although the anti-british excuse is the handiest and most popular one) to cause it.

• Advertisement

InFront wrote:
    I don't agree that it was the intention, the use of Croke Park is simply because Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped. If it wasn't being redeveloped, there would be no need for it.

but its not being redeveloped for over a year ....

lansdowne is in perfect working order at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Right, but the decision has been made to close it off between now and completion of the redevelopment, and there are all sorts of things going on at the moment like the appeal before the Planning Board on the nature of the planning permission, particularly the height question.

The IRFU are not paying all this money to make a grand political gesture about British-Irish relations, Croke Park is being used out of practicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hold on a minute there, maybe I'm missing something but why did they need to use Croke park in the first place? Isn't the use of Croke park an attempt to make a cack-handed political comment in and of itself?

What exactly is a "positive statement" about the GAA accepting large sums of money to let non GAA sports be played in Croke park? Lets face it, at the end of the day there is no other reason for this decision to have gone through than enormous amounts of shiny coinage and the greed attendant with that.

Kind of odd here. No matter where the IRFU/FAI would have to play their matches, be it England, Scotland, Wales, they'd have to give over money. People appear to be against the GAA here for taken money from them, but it was going to happen anywhere.

Anyway, not too pushed about GSTQ at Croker. If there are hooligans around, it'll only make people more ashamed anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Seanies32 wrote:
    Only Rugby supporters pay tax? What is Lansdowne Road being re-developed with, only rugby supporters tax too?
    Think you missed my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I missed it too. What was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I also fear that there will be trouble at the match..

But what i hope to happen is a victory of sorts with the true Irish people shouting at these scumbags and pushing them away if anything gets started and i hope to god the gards start kicking lumps out of the thugs..

Any man who comes down to fight on Saturday should be kicked out of the island..

And this northy IRA/Sinn Fein March is just looking for trouble and should not be allowed considering the events in the city on the day.

Unforuntately with such a large minority of scum in our country and its every increasing numbers i fear for the worst..

Okay i can see why there might be a few boo's for the anthem in the stadium from a few ignorant souls, and that can be forgiven i suppose but any trouble by bored hooligans i expect to be dealt with sternly by the gards.

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote:
    built with rugby supporters tax money. ;)

U say I missed your point. What is it, you didn't elaborate.
    All sports get lottery and govt. funding. Lansdowne Road is owned by the IRFU. The IRFU would have the say to let GAA in there just as the GAA had the say in Croker.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Point was that everyone pays the tax to build the stadiums so I think it's a bit rich for one organisation not to allow another organisation to use it's facilities in a time of national need. By all means the GAA should have priority, but where possible our national teams in other sports should be allowed use the stadium, unless it clashes directly with a GAA match, untill such a time that Lansdowne is developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

when was the anthemn played before?

where you their last year??? coz i was and the gardai did an excellent job so unless u saw it first hand dont comment

and it was played at the special olympics as i already said in this thread

clown bag wrote:
    Point was that everyone pays the tax to build the stadiums so I think it's a bit rich for one organisation not to allow another organisation to use it's facilities in a time of national need. By all means the GAA should have priority, but where possible our national teams in other sports should be allowed use the stadium, unless it clashes directly with a GAA match, untill such a time that Lansdowne is developed.

That is the current situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

the inspector told me that dunnes stores on talbot street was in for a cleanup and boyers cos they left loads of stuff out last time...

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote:

thats exactly what is happening this argument happened 3/4years ago

but while i think it is great it is opened up the gaa deserve their stadium and deserve to do as they please with it

edit seanies got there before me

Seanies32 wrote:
    That is the current situation.
    current being the important word there. Will the situation be the same beyond 2008 or have the GAA got a cap on how many games they are allowing to be played before they ban rugby and soccer again.

clown bag wrote:
    current being the important word there. Will the situation be the same beyond 2008 or have the GAA got a cap on how many games they are allowing to be played before they ban rugby and soccer again.

i dont think so and i hope not but it is their choice and rightly so as the owners of the ground

personally i think soccer is going to be a joke in their as with the way the irish team is going the stadium will be empty

edit when lansdowne is finished the irfu wont want croke park and it will be more economical for the soccer to be played their too

Yeah I know soccer will be played at Lansdowne when its ready, its just the GAA aren't planning on waiting around too long. I'm a GAA fan myself and actually prefere it to rugby but I watch all three, soccer, GAA and rugby. I don't feel like something we all made happen should be witheld from a large part of the population to enjoy even if it is the home of just one organisation.

It is just my opinion as the decision rests with the GAA, I just think that should Lansdowne not be ready in time and the GAA re-ban rugby and soccer before it is (2008 is the GAA deadline) that decision will have short changed a lot of tax payers.

clown bag wrote:
    Yeah I know soccer will be played at Lansdowne when its ready, its just the GAA aren't planning on waiting around too long. I'm a GAA fan myself and actually prefere it to rugby but I watch all three, soccer, GAA and rugby. I don't feel like something we all made happen should be witheld from a large part of the population to enjoy even if it is the home of just one organisation.

It is just my opinion as the decision rests with the GAA, I just think that should Lansdowne not be ready in time and the GAA re-ban rugby and soccer before it is (2008 is the GAA deadline) that decision will have short changed a lot of tax payers.

i agree with you that it should be opened up and stay opened and i really dont think they are going to close the gates in 2008 no matter what happens

HOWEVER if it was not for the gaa we would not have a stadium of anywere near that quality and they deserve alot of respect from that point of view........

im not a gaa man by the way but alot of my family are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yes, the genuine rugby fans wont cause trouble, but what worries me is this: I know 4 people who've been to every Ireland 6 nations match, home and away, for the past 4 years, and I know a further 7 people who've been to every home 6 nations match in that time too. Not one of them could get their hands on a ticket for this match. Theres obviously those coming for the occasion 'Well its the English, and its croke park....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

robinph wrote:
    And having to of played "home" games in Cardiff when a perfectly adequate stadium sits empty back in Dublin wouldn't have given anyone a reason to laugh at at the Irish all now would it?
    Thats how I always felt. We have a fantastic stadium yet our close neighbours have never seen it.

On another note does anyone remember when American Football was played there ten or more years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Unpossible wrote:
    Thats how I always felt. We have a fantastic stadium yet our close neighbours have never seen it.

On another note does anyone remember when American Football was played there ten or more years ago

What the gah doesnt want to highlight is that "foreign sports" actually means "English invented sport". I doubt they even bothered holding a vote for American football, or Muhammed Alis fight in the 70s, or the special olympics or any of the other occasional events held there.

I doubt there will be booing, rugby fans simply arent the type. And I really doubt that the skangers and wannabe ra men cared so much they block booked huge sections of croker for a ruck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FFS - people getting worked up over a Sex Pistols song?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

shane86 wrote:
    What the gah doesnt want to highlight is that "foreign sports" actually means "English invented sport". I doubt they even bothered holding a vote for American football, or Muhammed Alis fight in the 70s, or the special olympics or any of the other occasional events held there.
    Wouldn't boxing come under the English invented sports catergory though with the Queensberry rules? I guess they just ignored that "foreign sports" ruling temporarily for Ali then. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Anyway, the original point was about the riot police. Rumour has it that combat 18 is coming over for a ruck this weekend. I think we should be more concerned about them. I think the that the D4 West Brit rugby fans are getting carried away with themselves when the speak about all the Ra heads and scum bags. When have Irish soccer or GAA fans ever started a riot home or abroad? Calm down lads it's North Dublin not Baghdad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

a lot of people getting excited over nothing!

nothing is going to happen only a good rugger game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Archimedes wrote:
    Yes, the genuine rugby fans wont cause trouble, but what worries me is this: I know 4 people who've been to every Ireland 6 nations match, home and away, for the past 4 years, and I know a further 7 people who've been to every home 6 nations match in that time too. Not one of them could get their hands on a ticket for this match. Theres obviously those coming for the occasion 'Well its the English, and its croke park....'

I think my brother is going mainly for the 'Well its the English, and its croke park....' factor, but also given how abysmal sligo are in the GAA it's probably the only time he'll get to be inside croker.

kbannon wrote:
    FFS - people getting worked up over a Sex Pistols song?

Hah Hah Hah.

Excellent.

Bren1609 wrote:
    Anyway, the original point was about the riot police. Rumour has it that combat 18 is coming over for a ruck this weekend. I think we should be more concerned about them. I think the that the D4 West Brit rugby fans are getting carried away with themselves when the speak about all the Ra heads and scum bags. When have Irish soccer or GAA fans ever started a riot home or abroad? Calm down lads it's North Dublin not Baghdad.

and where's that rumour coming from, do they still call themselves combat18?

or combat 18 Rugger division?

arn't they supposed to be loads of website chat occuring or planning that show trouble is obvious like last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Bren1609 wrote:
    When have Irish soccer or GAA fans ever started a riot home or abroad?

As mentioned several times already in the thread, it's not the sports fans you need to worry about - it's all the little scangers in Dublin just waiting for an excuse to stir some poo that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The funny thing is, there was no-one complaining three years ago when God Save the Queen was played in Croke Park during the Special Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

The funny thing is, there was no-one complaining three years ago when God Save the Queen was played in Croke Park during the Special Olympics.

Can anyone confirm that this is actually true ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eddie O'Sullivan believes it to be the case...
    EOS wrote:
    "With regards to the anthems, they have always been respected at Lansdowne Road. Our anthem has been respected wherever we've gone, and we hope that will be reciprocated.

'God Save the Queen' was respected the last time it was played at Croke Park, at the Special Olympics three years ago."
    src: http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_7441.php

csk wrote:
    Can anyone confirm that this is actually true ?

It is. My sister was a volunteer during the Special Olympics and heard it played several times during medal ceremonies.

It is. My sister was a volunteer during the Special Olympics and heard it played several times during medal ceremonies.

thank-you i didnt want to have to say it again,

there are probably alot of people who are going to this match who are not strict rugby fans but are going because of the occasion (and yes i cant wait to kick englands ass either) but the trouble will not be in the stadium so its not them you have to worry about. the skangers will get off at clontarf road wait around in fairview park with a few dutch and then move to near croker for when people are coming out that is how the trouble will start

i also dont thnk its the strict foreign games policy they have although it might be called that i think its more the actual english playing there and englich parliment/roylty whatever being their watching and enjoying the stadium.......after all they do have a rule that no1 in the british police/military can play gaa(might have been revoked recently) so i think the rule is more along those lines in sirit if not in actual writing so therefore muhammad ali and american football dosnt really matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A TV3 / TVAM survey this week stated that 71% of people who responded expressed serious reservations about the playing of GSTQ at Croker. I didn't realize that almost 3 out of 4 people in Ireland were rabid Celtic jersey wearing skangers. :rolleyes:

Hagar wrote:
    A TV3 / TVAM survey this week stated that 71% of people who responded expressed serious reservations about the playing of GSTQ at Croker. I didn't realize that almost 3 out of 4 people in Ireland were rabid Celtic jersey wearing skangers. :rolleyes:

and you do not believe that these type of voluntary phone in surveys have an inate prejudice because it is only the people who feel strongly about a topic who will ring in.............

the survey should tell us how many people rang in and said they dont want it to be played compared to the number of people watching the show take one number from the other and you are left with the people who really dont care either way because they know what a ridicolous argument it is.......

i would PREFER if it was not played but if a song is the price we have to pay to have 80K people supporting our team then i dont mind paying it

Isn't that how democracy works? Look at any election, those who are interested enough to vote get their viewpoint represented, those who don't vote have voluntarily given away the right to be heard and we can't draw any inference of what they might have said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Hagar wrote:
    Isn't that how democracy works? Look at any election, those who are interested enough to vote get their viewpoint represented, those who don't vote have voluntarily given away the right to be heard and we can't draw any inference of what they might have said.

although u might be able to draw parrallells(spelling???) between a phone in poll to a morning chat show and the democratic system they are two different beasts.

you dont miss your say in an election just because you didnt watch a particular station that day

what about people with no tvs?

i think its a bit presumptuous(again spelling) to say that the people who dont ring tv3 to give an opinion on something they do not believe matters are the same people who will not vote for their party come election day.

I believe that the vast majority of irish people feel like me that while it is not ideal it is something that has to happen so that we can move on. if you have an idependant poll that surveyed a significant and varied cross section of the republic that contradicts that then i will take that back but at the moment the only people talking about the anthem and all the trouble its going to cause are the media i have not seen one interview with someone who feels outraged that this is happening

im going to work reply laterz

ziggy67 wrote:
    So it is Celtic fans that will be causing the trouble is it?

At a Rugby game in a GAA Stadium :confused:

There is tar dripping from that brush of yours.

there is some basis to that bias and that is the riots last year but i do not think that everyone who wears a celtic jersey is automatically a true celtic fan as some people wear it as they believe it represents something else

ziggy67 wrote:
    So it is Celtic fans that will be causing the trouble is it?

At a Rugby game in a GAA Stadium :confused:

There is tar dripping from that brush of yours.

Even though you quoted my sarcastic smiley you didn't notice the sarcasm not tar dripping from the post?
    PeakOutput wrote:
    although u might be able to draw parrallells(spelling???) between a phone in poll to a morning chat show and the democratic system they are two different beasts.
    Fair comment, this is only an internet discussion after all, in After Hours, don't expect the 5th Gospel.

Hagar wrote:

So Pop Idol winner for president then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement