Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Riot squad to be at Croker on Saturday

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

andrew wrote:
    what happened at the sinn fein protest? anyone know?

RSF protest. 30 of them got wet and then went home quietly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

three people we're arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

andrew wrote:
    I thought it was Republican Sinn Féin and not Sinn Féin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A great result that everyone can be happy with (except England:D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I think the game of rugby was the main winner

runs for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ANXIOUS wrote:
    three people we're arrested.

Where'd you hear that? (not doubting you, just wondering)
    axer wrote:

Yeah it was, it's not good for the North that alot of people don't differentiate between the two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

mackerski wrote:
    A good article, reinforcing my point.

Refer to the article above. Das Deutschlandlied, but not the German anthem, features the lines, which are not, of themselves, offensive. The first verse, were it to feature in the modern anthem, would be dodgy, not for the concept of "Germany first before local identity", but because of the territorial claim that was valid then, but isn't now (articles 2 & 3 anyone?).

It's true that plenty of Germans don't grasp the true intent of the phrase "Deutschland über alles", among them very probably the very football fans that like to sing that verse. If so, they are guilty of any offence that they may intend and give. But the anthem itself, that is verse 3 of Das Deutschlandlied, is probably the least offensive and most positive national anthem that I've ever encountered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Lied_der_Deutschen

The third verse is a good choice for the modern anthem, since the goal of getting people to think as Germans is largely achieved (except in Bavaria, where it'll never happen anyway), and the references to women and alcohol in verse 2 are a little un-PC. The process isn't unlike what happened in Ireland. Our anthem appears to have selected the least dodgy verse of the Soldier's Song. Unfortunately it's still fairly bloodthirsty stuff - the portion of the manuscript featuring puppies and flowers will probably never be recovered.

As far as I am aware "Das Lied der Deutchen" in it's entirety is the accepted anthem of Germany. After reunification it was agreed that the third verse only should be sung at all State occasions. This was not universally accepted and the first verse is commonly sung, in fact Bayern Munich fans routinely include the Horst Wessel. The anthem has no basis in law so I guess it's what's right on the night.
    Anyway the point I was trying to make was that we have reason to be aggrieved by others besides the Brits.

Great game, great win, great crowd, great atmosphere, no hassle, all is well with the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

DaveMcG wrote:

Linkage
    Ahern praises GAA, fans after Irish rugby win
    watch Saturday, 24 February 2007 20:42

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has paid tribute to Irish rugby fans and the GAA after the Six Nations game in which Ireland beat England passed off without incident this evening.

eanwhile, gardaí say three people were arrested in the city centre following a demonstration organised by Republican Sinn Féin.
    M
    The party were opposed to the singing of the English National Anthem at Croke Park.

After handing in a letter of protest to the GAA, RSF had planned to end its Drumcondra Road protest at 5.30pm.

But half an hour early the group of around 60 moved and ended up at the Garden of Remembrance on Parnell Square.

There party president Ruari Ó Brádaigh addressed the crowd and told protestors the demonstration had been a job well done.

But within minutes a minor scuffle broke out and two people were arrested.

A group of around 30 youths, many wearing hoodies and covering their face with scarves, walked down O'Connell St and through Temple Bar before returning to O'Connell Street.

Further arrests took place there after one of the youths kicked over a motorcycle.

A spokesperson for RSF said many non-party members had joined the protest and none of the arrested were members.

DaveMcG wrote:

Yeah it was, it's not good for the North that alot of people don't differentiate between the two!

rte and guardian are both reporting arrests, rte - 3, guardian a handful. doesn't say what for or if they were actually at the protest. said city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

axer wrote:
    Kinda like saying that would be the People's Front of Judea and not the Judean People's Front?

As I said in t'other thread, the opening ceremony brought a tear to my eye, and I was sober at the time.

But I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to pick at the scab of history.

Kinda like saying that would be the People's Front of Judea and not the Judean People's Front?

Huh? What you mean by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Kinda like saying something that is accurate and something that is not accurate. Your choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

what, you mean 2 organisations that are completely seperate and despise each other?
    correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

andrew wrote:

Sinn Fein didn't have a protest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike65 wrote:
    Is that a UFO of sorts in that pic? (middle of pic / left of the text)
    Maybe Republican SF will have more important things to get worked up about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I bet the Gards were thrilled it p*ssed rain during the day. Surely, that kept the dodgy element in the pub! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Trojan wrote:
    Load of rubbish. If we lose we'll take it well.

The trouble, if any, will be from the soccer hooligans before the match coming down to protest against the lack of respect for their culture.

I think a lot of people commenting in the media have never been to a rugby match. This is not Man City vs Millwall.
    Well said, Rugby is just not like that.

And anyways. WE WON!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

401246738_29d94d7e11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Are those the only horses the gardai have or something? They're the same two you almost always see!

Do other police forces use horses or is it just us...? I know they give you a good elevated POV, but I can't imagine they'd be much use if a crime is commited, cos it's not really safe to gallop down Grafton Street! :D

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Do other police forces use horses or is it just us...? I know they give you a good elevated POV, but I can't imagine they'd be much use if a crime is commited, cos it's not really safe to gallop down Grafton Street! :D
    Almost all police forces around the world. Mainly used for crowd control. You going to mess with one of those horses? you been up next to one???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well said, Rugby is just not like that.

And anyways. WE WON!!!! :D
    It's not the rugby fans. It's not the soccer fans. It;s not the ****ing darts or cricket fans.

IT'S THE ****ING HORSE RACING FANS.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

horses are great for riot/crowd control..... i have seen a video of a scumbag put a cigar out on the arse of one of those horses in a riot and the horse didnt flinch..............needless to say the scumabg didnt walk for a while.........

no trouble at the match damn proud right now

......... lost

Those horses are as quiet as badgers, nothing very intimidating. I don't see the advantage of using them. Although the idea of one charging down Grafton Street sounds like something I'd like to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    It's not the rugby fans. It's not the soccer fans. It;s not the ****ing darts or cricket fans.

IT'S THE ****ING HORSE RACING FANS.

English or Irish? These horses where bought from an English Police Force. I bet they where English!:)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

InFront wrote:
    Are those the only horses the gardai have or something? They're the same two you almost always see!

how do u know? do u really recognise them or are u some kind of
    horse racist? 'They all look the same to me Guv' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Think of the ponies...won't someone PLEASE think of the ponies! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seanies32 wrote:
    English or Irish? These horses where bought from an English Police Force. I bet they where English!:)
    I seem to remember something about them being bought from West Yorkshire police as they were retiring them and wanted some cash to pay for a new helicopter. The gardai have most likely bought some more since then though as I've seen more of them about recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

InFront wrote:
    They all look the same to me.

There is usually one in Ballyfermot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What struck me about all this was if you wanted to do a robbery in some outlying suburb (Blanchardstown, Tallaght, etc), you would never had a better chance than yesterday.

With so much of garda resources in Dublin 3 & 9, I'd imagine the response time in other areas wouldn't be too fast.

These are the sort of criminal schemes I'm constantly thinking of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

InFront wrote:
    Those horses are as quiet as badgers, nothing very intimidating. I don't see the advantage of using them

let one rear up on you and see if you feel the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

srfron250207.jpg lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Asok wrote:
    srfron250207.jpg lol

****ing classic!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Asok wrote:
    srfron250207.jpg lol

That just about sums it up really. No need for any further debate. :D

daveym wrote:
    how do u know? do u really recognise them or are u some kind of
    horse racist?
    No honestly there's only three that I've ever seen, that grey one, the chestnut with the flaxen hair, and sometimes (rarely) the brown one. They seem to go to every major sports event/ public demonstration and they're the only ones you ever see on the streets. Maybe they're the posterboys for the mounted Guards or something.
    I think that sums it up very well, classic!:D

Very funny pic :D. It wasn't me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

there were a good few horse charges during the poll tax riots in London.

About 1min or so in on this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg9vLczx_B8

and the last 30 seconds or so on this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCfVCAsasJo

just as an aside, I was at an Arsenal Newcastle game about 5 years ago and after the game a geordie was giving some arsnal fans some light hearted stick as they queued to get into the tube station.

A mounted police officer came over and lifted the guy clean off his feet with one arm, told him to STFU and then dropped him to the ground. As he stood up the police officer got the horse to knock him back to to the ground, while telling him "You're in the Met now, lad". Got a huge cheer from the Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

PeakOutput wrote:
    YES IT WAS

there are no links but txt newstalk 106 and ask them and they will confirm it on air jsut like they have been all week and croker officials have confr=irmed it with them as well

I'm afraid you're wrong,God Save The Queen was not played at the Special Olympics,if you wnat proof watch last Fridays News2day. bRTE went to their archives and found that it wasn't played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Q: What make the Garda horse unique?
    A: It's the only animal where the bollix is on its back.

I have been to many football games where the police use horses for crowd control. The main issue I have with them is the **** they leave all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

PeakOutput wrote:
    well im guessing the reason is because the last time the english were in croke park they brought tanks and killed gaa fans and players

There were no tanks involved in the incident, that was just an invention for the Michael Collins film. Auxillieries turned up and fired into the crowd & players with their rifles.
    PeakOutput wrote:
    and it was played at the special olympics as i already said in this thread

Was listening to the Last Word on Fri, Matt Cooper says they checked with Special Olympics Ireland and they said that it wasn't played in Croker.

I have been to many football games where the police use horses for crowd control. The main issue I have with them is the **** they leave all over the place.

http://totallyabsurd.com/horsediaper.htm

You may laugh, but that's actually a very valuable tool in the studies of animal nutrition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

cushtac wrote:
    There were no tanks involved in the incident, that was just an invention for the Michael Collins film.
    There were no tanks in the Michael Collins film, that was an armoured car. There was an armoured car involved in the real incident as decribed here
    As the spectators streamed out, an armoured car on St James Avenue fired its machine guns over the heads of the crowd, trying to halt them.
    By the time Major Mills got his men back under control, the police had fired 114 rounds of rifle ammunition, and an unknown amount of revolver ammunition as well, not counting 50 rounds fired from the machine guns in the armoured car outside the Park. Seven people had been shot to death, and five more had been fatally wounded; another two people had been trampled to death by the crowd. The dead included Jeannie Boyle, who had gone to the match with her fiancée and was due to be married five days later, and two boys aged just 10 and 11. Two football players, Michael Hogan and Jim Egan, had been shot; Hogan was killed, but Egan survived, along with dozens of other wounded and injured. The police raiding party suffered no casualties at all.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    They all look the same to me.

There is usually one in Ballyfermot.

more horse rascism, (horsism?)!

daveym wrote:
    more horse rascism, (horsism?)!

Dont you mean Nagging ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Myth wrote:

I've actually seen these (or something very similar) over in London at Hampton Court palace / gardens.
    There's a few horse carriages giving rides to tourists around the grounds, and I guess that can't keep going around cleaning up after them.
    Sometimes its awful on a hot day seeing a pile of horse sh*te on Grafton St after they go up there. It's ridiculous. I saw an tourist go flying after stepping in it by accident (had his eyes in a camcorder at the time, so didn't see it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

InFront wrote:
    Those horses are as quiet as badgers, nothing very intimidating. I don't see the advantage of using them
    Dude, badgers are lethal.
    They'll take a lump out of you given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cushtac wrote:

Was listening to the Last Word on Fri, Matt Cooper says they checked with Special Olympics Ireland and they said that it wasn't played in Croker.

The Tribune said the same today. Urban legend by the sounds of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement