Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many threads being dragged off topic and sarcastic answers.

Options
  • 20-02-2007 12:46am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm all for a bit of a laugh but I think too many threads here are attracting people to put the boot in for innocent, misguided posts, too early and too much noise stopping the real answer getting out.

I dont want to get on anyones case but putting the boot in doesnt make you look big or clever. All I'm saying is perhaps the world can live without a demonstration of your sparkling wit and razor-like linguistics.

Finally, can the people who have a serial problem with each other take it to thunderdome or PM. Im done tolerating in-fighting and handbags of grudges held for months on end.

This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Play Nice party.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

puppyshotgun320.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cute puppy.
    DeVore wrote:
    All I'm saying is perhaps the world can live without a demonstration of your sparkling wit and razor-like linguistics.

Does this still count with the thread starter is clearly asking for it due to the topic being so unbelievably, ridiculously stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

A virgin feedback thread and me without any animal pictures :(

lafortezza wrote:

Is this a good example of the razor like wit DeV was talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I do try and be helpful until someone trun unreasonible and starts making potshots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depends on the forum really, most threads here seem to get slated the worst.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I really had to fight back the temptation to say "yeah right!" Maybe I have internet tourette's.

Anyway, I can see your point DeV, but it's difficult to police individual off-topic or sarcastic posts. I mean, you couldn't really ban someone for it, and you can't lock the thread if other posters are being reasonable and answering the question.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know its tempting to simply blast someone whos on a "waaaaaaaah, I'm being oppressed" rant, I'm just trying to reach a balance because I think its important to always go the extra mile to deal with such things (along with idiotic feedback, unworkable or stupid ideas etc). By jumping in and slamming people it reflects badly on the site sometimes, simply because people seem to be unable to realise that all non-admin/smod input here represents only themselves.

I dont want to ruin the fun community spirit here and most people ARE helpful, but I am all wubbily about newbs expecially, I'll go the extra mile to welcome them in basically...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone take a screen-shot of this thread! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Sorry, you'll have to post examples or I simply won't see it.
    Show me.
    j/k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DeVore wrote:
    but I am all wubbily about newbs expecially, I'll go the extra mile to welcome them in basically...

A newbie bought you coke, didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

This forum makes me think of a quote from the Dilbert cartoon:
    ''Remember, the first rule of brainstorming is to openly mock the opinions of others.'' - Dogbert

And the frequent posters make me think of this guy:
    http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVICL0217224710PIC.jpg

A little cynical humour is funny once in a while but there is littlr else around here. It takes patience and maturity to politely answer comments and suggestions you disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

old_lady_with_naughty_ooooooh_look.jpg

Get you!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

DeVore wrote:
    I'm all for a bit of a laugh but I think too many threads here are attracting people to put the boot in for innocent, misguided posts, too early and too much noise stopping the real answer getting out.
    I think its important to always go the extra mile to deal with such things (along with idiotic feedback, unworkable or stupid ideas etc). By jumping in and slamming people it reflects badly on the site sometimes
    Would you be refering to something (in recent times) along these lines [thread=2055055162]here[/thread]

Its baffling how noobs are treated when first joining boards.A simple question deserves a simple answer imo regardless of who it is and not to be slated on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Snowbie wrote:
    Its baffling how noobs are treated when first joining boards.

Feedback, in fairness, is an aberration. There is also a few points to consider:

The group called noobs contains people who will never become established posters (ie posters around for a few months and posting regularly enough). This is because there will always be a percentage of new people who either:

a) Don't want to play to the rules of this site, which is fair enough since the moderation of this site isn't going to be to everyone's tastes. Some people like being able to abuse others freely online etc.
    b) Don't like the way the site is laid out and would prefer either free access to soccer, no signature restrictions, fewer forums but larger ones or some other design aspect.
    c) Don't like the community here. Again, fair enough boards isn't for everyone.

Because these people exist, and tend not to become older posters (on average), you tend to see people reacting differently to noobs than older, more established, posters. You see so many examples of people with recent join dates and low post counts complaining about the above that after a while people start thinking that this is a typical noob attitude (versus the majority who don't stand out on here because they are busy over on the other forums contributing to the community).

It doesn't excuse the crap that goes on here sometimes but it does go some way towards explaining why it's happening. Apologies if the above is very unclear but I've been writing essays all day and my mind is a bit fuzzled from the experience.

Stark wrote:
    A newbie bought you coke, didn't they?

Either that or a large, brown envelope

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They got the coke but never got the hookers? Damn n00bs...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I find thunderdome a waste of time, and if the person is already annoying publically going PM is just annoying more. Ignore option the only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

lafortezza wrote:

I had to rustle this up especially.

posingdogjq7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

nesf wrote:
    The group called noobs contains people who will never become established posters (ie posters around for a few months and posting regularly enough).
    Of course they will! You just don't notice it happening because they stop becoming new. And anyway if they never become established, then you have to ask why not?

Bloody typical, a poster who thinks he was never new:p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

InFront wrote:
    Of course they will! You just don't notice it happening because they stop becoming new. And anyway if they never become established, then you have to ask why not?

I think you've overlooked nesf's point.

He means that the group which we refer to as "newbies" is perpetual. The members of the group change, but the characteristics stay the same.

The term "newbies" describes the traits of a particular band of posters who are not yet used to the boards status quo.

Once they get used to it, they move into the non-newbies group. Some never do, and (irrespective of their post count) will always be newbies. Some cop on quickly, and others leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Snowbie wrote:
    Would you be refering to something (in recent times) along these lines [thread=2055055162]here[/thread]

Its baffling how noobs are treated when first joining boards.A simple question deserves a simple answer imo regardless of who it is and not to be slated on a public forum.
    For the record that thread was started in AH (then moved to feedback) and he had already been told the soccer situation in another thread. He was dicking around.

perhaps feedback could operate like PI. Even if it is a blatant troll, it is treated seriously as others might learn something from the situation (or sumting like dat)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

InFront wrote:

Hullabaloo pretty much answered this. But no, I definitely remember being new on here. I even had a thread on this forum questioning who modded the mods iirc. ;)

Mods are modded by smods who are modded by admins who are modded by God who is modded by SGod. SGod isn't answerable to anyone and is a right little Hitler who sends down a plague of owls on anyone who disagrees with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Stark wrote:
    Mods are modded by smods who are modded by admins who are modded by God who is modded by SGod. SGod isn't answerable to anyone and is a right little Hitler who sends down a plague of owls on anyone who disagrees with him.

Ah but what if SGod decides to send down his son in noob form to spread the word. Might be a good idea that randomly, every now and then the mods should be stripped of their identity/stats and forced to live the noob life for a while ;)

eolhc wrote:
    Ah but what if SGod decides to send down his son in noob form to spread the word.

Then we crucify him. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Stark wrote:
    Then we crucify him. Problem solved.

Resurrection? More owl problems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Shut up newb.

Personally I think that yes there are times when certain posters shoot first and ask questions later, but that the time honoured tradition of flaming arrogant, ignorant, it's not me at fault, it's the system at fault type idiots, should continue.

Of course, it's easy to blame the regulars on this forum for attacking the meek and god knows we have to think about how people perceive boards.ie....

uhhhh... we do? why? um... *shrug*

I have a few suggestions of my own:

1. Put up a proper up-to-date charter. The nearest equivalent this forum has is the How this forum works one and that hasn't been updated in nearly three years.
    2. Put up one thread listing all the current problems the site is experiencing. There are TEN stickies on this forum and while I think that boards should not bow to the lowest common denominator, ten stickies can baffle those that are stupid but mean well. Does the User Pm archive reader really need two separate stickies? Is there still a need to let people know there's a S&S forum?
    3. Create a FAQ. Often regulars are faced with the same stupid questions over and over again. It can get irritating. Sometimes regulars will take out all there frustration on the latest idiot to demand their INTERNET FREEDOM OF SPEECH rights.

USENET groups had them and they work. I even wrote one and it was stickied but then was de-stickied presumably because it may have tarnished boards.ie's image. FOR USING SARCASM!!!!!!!!!11!!! FOR SHAME!!
    4. More owls.
    5. Actually manage this forum. Oh yeah, I went there.

This has been a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Keepin' it Real Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

stewie20qsta9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

So what you are saying is the stong should let the weak become stong also, I dunno that sounds like communisum.

Advertisement