Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody here *switch* to 0W20 oil?

Options
  • 20-02-2007 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Have been using 10W40 SS for years, but recently changed the oil in the better half's car, which takes 0W20 from the factory. Was difficult enough to get.

Anyway it's the lightest oil I've ever come across, but is supposed to meet or exceed previous standards, which I take to mean can be used as a direct replacement for heavier oils. It's only about 2 euro dearer per fill, but in theory should deliver a noticeable improvement in fuel economy.

But.. my experience of changing oil grade later in an engine's life (ie > 50k miles) is that the newer oil "goes through" the engine.

Has anyone switched to it (or something very close in grade)?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

An oil like that would be very thin and on some older cars could seep out through gaskets.
    What kind of car is it?
    read www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html & search for "0W20" - strangely referred to in the flushing oils section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The lightest I've seen for sale is 0W 30! What's the car, and does the manufacturer recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The other half's car is a Civic IMA, and using anything other than 0W20 risks damage to the engine, as there are places where heavier oil won't get in to.

The car I'm considering using it in is a 2.0L Accord SOHC VTEC with ~55k miles on the clock. 0W20 would not have been available when the car was made (1998).

Am also considering experimenting with it in the B16A-powered Integra (134k miles on clock), tho I'm pretty sure it would "go through" that.

If the Civic requires 0W20 the use it! It certainly won't be cheap and may prove difficult to find outside of a dealership!
    A thin oil on the Accord runs the risk of seeping through the seals, etc. - stick with a decent semi/fully synthetic

I have used 0W20 in the Civic (first post).. it's Honda's own stuff as I couldn't find it anywhere else, but as it turns out it only cost 18 euro for 4 litres. Not too bad.. and better again: the car takes exactly 3 litres on the "small service" where the filter isn't changed.

• Advertisement

€18?
    Thats €4.50 per litre. You can't buy mineral oil for that!

kbannon wrote:
    €18?
    Thats €4.50 per litre. You can't buy mineral oil for that!

Why do you think I want to use it in other cars! :D

(Tho 10w40 in a 5 litre can works out a bit cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

JHMEG wrote:
    I have used 0W20 in the Civic it only cost 18 euro for 4 litres.

That's something really dodgy about that price for that type of grade. Hell, in Halfrauds 0W30 is 60euro for 4 litres. I know they are a ripoff, but that's about right the price for oil.

browsing the interweb it apears to be about £30 for 2L of the stuff!

Opie Oils are selling Silkolene Pro R 0w/20 Racing Oil @ £75 for 4L.

That's something really dodgy about that price for that type of grade. Hell, in Halfrauds 0W30 is 60euro for 4 litres. I know they are a ripoff, but that's about right the price for oil.

Halford's own brand oil is quite a bit dearer than name brand (eg Castrol) oil in my local motor factors.

Just checked the US price for Honda 0w20: €3.07 per litre! ($4.59 a quart). By the looks of it I was ripped off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement