Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband DNS Down?

Options
  • 20-02-2007 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I having problems tonight with only some websites working switched to OpenDNS and everything is working fine again. Anyone else having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yep.. dns down here.. im just going by sites ip's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They're back up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

My router has space for 3 DNS entries so I though that if I had the 2 BT servers first and then 1 Eircom server I'd be covered but it still didn't work for me :mad: Damn pain in the ass I think I'll keep the OpenDNS IP handy from now on........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

BT DNS is still down.. Working fine using O2's primary DNS server.. theirs is rarely going to be as bad as BTs since it isnt used much.. so it was handy in this situation.. and I always remember their IP.. but I switched to OpenDNS and all is better now..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

aww i couldnt get online :( still cant this morning, any update on whats going on?or eta on whens its coming back up? i havnt got the ip addresses of sites so work is taking care of my browsing today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I have OpenDNS setup since the last time BTs DNS servers went down a few weeks ago. Last night I could not connect to the net from about 8ish until 11pm when I switched off the pc. Are people sure this was an actual DNS issue or was there some other issue at play here as I tried BTs own DNS servers and OpenDNS with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I thought I was going insane last night... couldn't figure why my torrents and skype etc were working fine, but couldn't load up any internet sites.

So the BT DNS will be back up when its back up. But for future reference, could people post up the other DNS servers there using... i.e. one person mentioned O2s.

Also, how do you change to openDNS and what exactly does that mean??

Thanks for any info,
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rob_T

That certainly explains the frustration that was last nights surfing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 22 vshastak

Any news from Customer Care?

bah, cant ring em in work but didnt they used to have a live chat with tech support on their website?? or am i mixing them up with HP??

• Advertisement

splinter wrote:
    bah, cant ring em in work but didnt they used to have a live chat with tech support on their website?? or am i mixing them up with HP??
    I think you are mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

My BT service was down last night from 11 bells or so...

Same business - Torrents / Skype working - browsers / mail down!

I'm back on now... I rang tech swupport this morning at 9:30 - they were engaged! not even an answering service!

Apologies for the newbie question, but can someone explain to me how I can have partial web access as stated above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

yep.. dns down here.. im just going by sites ip's :)

Probably a silly question, but how do you find out the ip of a given site? BT was down at home this morning, didnt spend too long fiddling with it though.

yeah couldnt getthem on the phone either, the phone lines were just ringing out for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

skywalker wrote:
    Probably a silly question, but how do you find out the ip of a given site? BT was down at home this morning, didnt spend too long fiddling with it though.

Ping it from the command line:

eg c:\>ping hotmail.com

Pinging hotmail.com [64.4.33.7] with 32 bytes of data:

so [url]Http://64.4.33.7[/url] will get you to Hotmail.

Cheers Beelzebub. :)

Also it is possible to change DNS settings as per OpenDNS service for XP:
    Control Panel -> Network Connection -> "your connection" -> Properties -> Internet Protocol TCP/IP -> Use the following DNS server addresses -> Preferred DNS server = 208.67.222.222 -> Alternative DNS server = 208.67.220.220 -> Ok -> Restart computer.

For more information click here.

Beelzebub wrote:
    Ping it from the command line:

eg c:\>ping hotmail.com

Pinging hotmail.com [64.4.33.7] with 32 bytes of data:

so [url]Http://64.4.33.7[/url] will get you to Hotmail.
    ahh but that wont work in this case, noticed it last ngiht. its timing out without giving the IP address....well it was last night so maybe not today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

was wondering what was up last night. had a feeling it was DNS related, but restarting my router and DSL modem seemed to fix it, then again the DNS issue prolly just got fixed by BT as i restarted the two.

Actually ping was not working last night

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if its a dns issue the sure test is that a pin > ip will work but a ping > name will not.

correct. ping > ip does work but the poster above suggested user ping > name to get the ip address and alas this doesnt work :(

update:

my net connection is back up at home and all surfing is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I had this issue too, I have a usual rigmarole of pinging different things and trying different service when BT reliably fails, and figured it was DNS when I could visit esat.net and esatbt.ie etc. but nothing else. I ended up SSHing into one of my websites, and nslookup-ing other sites from there to get google's IP, and found out the opendns IPs by viewing their site through the google cache, then I was grand till they sorted themselves out. It was fun, but I really don't think ISPs should make this type of thing necessary. You should have seen how fast BT was with no contention :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm on BT in Limerick, but Sticker's danasoft sig above is telling me my ISP is 'POSTGEM'. What's that about? Usually it says 'esatbt'...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

wtf! When I read his sign it says "Internet Services Ireland". The only other reference to internet service ireland is this random website. Maybe POSTGEM and Internet Services Ireland are both BT resellers (complete guess). I know that the old POSTGEM, being part of An Post, used to own Ireland Online, which is now part of BT. Whatever this means I don't know. One for the conspiracy forum? This could be some fallback solution of BTs.

I emailed them asking what's going on. Not too confident about getting a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lol I'm on IOL rofl :D

Is anyone else having disconnect problems with BT all week?

yeah it drops off for a moment then comes back, pain inthe a$$...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 104-66-5694

I am using OpenDNS - thank you for the post - I am using Eircom, and I had a feeling that there is a – long standing - problem with DNS (I have to re-fresh or re-click a web-page link to get the page to load).

BUT the DNS modem/router that I use - Netopia 2247 - is using a DYNAMIC IP. How can I configure OpenDNS advance features - I have to add a network - if I do not use a static IP?

Thanks - this is a great forum.

<edit by moriarty: removed colour tags as text was unreadable on some forum skins>

Advertisement