Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're a Star - judges are a disgrace

• 20-02-2007 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dave connolly

Okay, I was going to advise people to change their allegance from Shane to Andy. Then Andy gets voted out.

Who is left?

VOTE MAIVE.
    Why? I'm not sure, but please don't let one of those bands win.

It was an absolute disgrace the way Andy got voted out. They introduced a new rule, where the judges would decide who would be voted out, by getting the bottom 2 to have a sing off.

Andy and 21 Demands were in the sing off.

Andy was way better than them. All the judges admitted this, yet Linda and Thomas decided to keep 21 Demands in the competiton.
    That is an absolute disgrace. Why did they bother singing again, if the judges weren't going to base it on their performance.

By the way, okay many of you don't care about the show, but it still matters that they are robbing this guy of some extra exposure he should have got on tv just because they have a favouritism toward 21 demands.

The new rule was just to give 21 Demands a ticket to the final. It doesn't matter how badly they perform, the judges will save them anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Lets call a spade a spade.... the whole show is a joke. Compared to X Factor - "Youra Star" is amateurish and the singers are pritty amateur as well. Good pub singers and thats about the height of it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Is this going to be your thing? A weekly column on You're A Star? There's two other threads about it already.

And as for this "new rule thing", as far as I can see its purely to keep interest. What have the ratings been like does anyone know? And also, its not really a new rule, its a whole results show stolen from the X Factor. Even down to the "you'll find out after the break" bit. And don't vote for any of them, they are all pretty rubbish and a waste of time, instead donate some money to your local charity. Or throw it down the drain. Both would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Okay, I was going to advise people to change their allegance from Shane to Andy.
    Why did they bother singing again, if the judges weren't going to base it on their performance.
    I may be misreading the above but it looks as though you're not basing your vote on a single performance either.

Mind you, I don't think I've ever seen the show for more than about five minutes. I recall tuning in at one point to hear that pair from Cork where one of them couldn't sing in tune. That was probably a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dude, its You're A Star, no matter what happens or who wins, its not like they're going to be blasted into a chart topping worldwide career. Just like Joe and Donna, these people will be off our tvs in no time.

No need to get so worked up over it. If anyones to blame for them being screwed over, its themselves for entering the thing in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Okay, I was going to advise people to change their allegance from Shane to Andy. Then Andy gets voted out.

Who is left?

VOTE MAIVE.
    Why? I'm not sure, but please don't let one of those bands win.

It was an absolute disgrace the way Andy got voted out. They introduced a new rule, where the judges would decide who would be voted out, by getting the bottom 2 to have a sing off.

Andy and 21 Demands were in the sing off.

Andy was way better than them. All the judges admitted this, yet Linda and Thomas decided to keep 21 Demands in the competiton.
    That is an absolute disgrace. Why did they bother singing again, if the judges weren't going to base it on their performance.

By the way, okay many of you don't care about the show, but it still matters that they are robbing this guy of some extra exposure he should have got on tv just because they have a favouritism toward 21 demands.

The new rule was just to give 21 Demands a ticket to the final. It doesn't matter how badly they perform, the judges will save them anyway.

I said it to Bertie and I'm saying it to you: why should I waste my time voting, again...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

They changed the format to copy Dancing on Ice. Right up to "we'll announce the last person through this after the break" [if they hadn't done that previously]
    Andy sung better than usual in the sing-off. He was dire the rest of the time. The only two I'd personally vote for would be the bands. Maeve is absolutely useless and is only remaining in the comp because she's the only girl left. She shouldn't have been allowed in in the first place.

Not that I'm going to vote for anyone because bands aside (and even possibly including them) the whole thing is just bad karaoke.
    I don't trust any of the judges' opinions except the big guy and even then I'm not too mad about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

This program is a sham (your a sham, anyone?).

That girl hasnt got a clue, she's a pub singer at best, she's too young and has no life experiences.

Andy is good singer and 21 demands are a good band, but this whole text for your favourite is a load of bollox and does not determine who is the best, rather its indictative of who can garner most text vote, the parish priest probably endorses them from the pulpit.

Bin this trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

From what I've seen they are all rubbish (well below average at best) and as much a reflection of judges who dont have a clue as pandering to the delusion of the contestents. Its best not to get too upset about these things as it gives the producers the satisfaction of knowing they are causing controversy and getting people talking about them. Its not like we are restricted to RTE1 and 2 anymore. Best to leave it alone in the corner, and let the mobile phone companies get their pound of flesh from the license payers. Its not really about musicians, as far as I can see, its about young kids being celebrities in their villages for a couple of weeks. It will soon end. I'd bet Nadine Coyle is still cursing the day she let slip her age to the individuals behind "Six".

Which reminds me, when Louis Walsh said that "Six" was a great name because of its originality, this despite the fact that "Five" were riding high in the charts at the time, was close to being one of the best lines ever uttered on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Morgans wrote:
    From what I've seen they are all rubbish (well below average at best) and as much a reflection of judges who dont have a clue as pandering to the delusion of the contestents. Its best not to get too upset about these things as it gives the producers the satisfaction of knowing they are causing controversy and getting people talking about them. Its not like we are restricted to RTE1 and 2 anymore. Best to leave it alone in the corner, and let the mobile phone companies get their pound of flesh from the license payers. Its not really about musicians, as far as I can see, its about young kids being celebrities in their villages for a couple of weeks. It will soon end. I'd bet Nadine Coyle is still cursing the day she let slip her age to the individuals behind "Six".

Which reminds me, when Louis Walsh said that "Six" was a great name because of its originality, this despite the fact that "Five" were riding high in the charts at the time, was close to being one of the best lines ever uttered on tv.

He didn't, did he??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

The judges are a disgrace? Agreed. Linda Martin is an aging hag who shouldn't be allowed on television anymore. All she has to contribute is irrelevant crap about what the acts are wearing. Thats up to the fully-paid style crew at RTE to decide, it has nothing to do with the acts themselves or their quality as performers. I used to think Thomas was alright but he gives the blandest criticism possible. I wouldn't even call it criticism - talk about sitting on the fence.

As regards last weeks show, did anyone consider the possibility that RTE staged it so it would come down to Andy Bennett and 21 Demands? Popularity has been waning since the quality of the show has been so bad. Pitting them against each other would be a surefire way to boost TV ratings. Honestly I find it hard to believe Demands got the least or second least number of votes. Look at what they're up against ffs! Not to mention their popularity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I havent seen much of it this year, but from my experiencing flicking about the channels, as far as I could see the auditions consisted of the kids that would be good television, getting to perform to the judges and get their five minutes of fame by being on the box. The tv audience were given the introduction to some of the better contestants. At the end of the show, the contestants then sang their songs over the voting information banner and Mooney/Duffy asking people to vote for whoever. No brainer as to why this is the RTE choose this way to do things, but in the process "killed the goose that laid the golden egg"

So basicially, on the basis of a twenty second snippet, the Irish public are to expected to vote the artists that are going to be a star. Is it any wonder that the standard of the contestents are muck. All of them. Critical difference is that the other "idol" programs only ask people to vote once you get to hear them "live"

As far as i can see, the contest has little or nothing to do with musical talent and more to do with who can organise the best campaign. If I wanted to win it, I would get together a band of ten, and hopefully will pull in ten times the amount of votes.

Of course the judges are ****e. They wouldnt be on this sort of program in this sort of market if they were any use. In fact, I am beginning to be convinced that Brendan O'Connor is the judge who knows most about music. Linda Martin sees the program as a vehicle for an older middle aged woman to get some limelight back. Maybe they will give her her own chat show like Sharon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

What a program...

I never ever watch tripe like this... but this one has that special quality... that it's soooo bad it lunges into hilarious territory...

Last week was just brilliant.. the whole audience got to see.... that no talent doesn't count just looks.. now we all know that.. but it takes an Irish program to really make it blatant...

This really is the best comedy RTE have done in years...

The show, presenters, audience, "Talent" and judges are all hilarious in their own "special" ways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I totally agree that its a comedy, I certainly watch it for the laugh.
    Most of the singers are just dreadful.
    The girl on Sunday murdered Sorry seems to be the hardest word.
    I'm sure Linda Martin is a drag queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dave connolly

One thing I don't like from the comments is that a lot of people say the acts are crap except maybe for the bands.

Why is it that people somehow assume that bands are good?

Scuba Dice are absolutely dreadful.
    21 Demands showed some promise in some of the shows, but in the most recent show they were terrible. They were absolutely horrendous, worse than Maive or any of the other acts. They deserved to go.

Of course nobody out of that line up is going to make it big, but I still think that Andy was hard done by.

An extra while on the tv, maybe even to get down to the last 3 in the show would have been great publicity for him, and it would have helped him sell tickets singing in various drinking establishments around the country. That's what it's about. The record deal is a joke and the winner will probably be ditched nearly as soon as Lucia Evans was.

Okay, it's a rubbish show, but they still shouldn't institute new rules, well into the competition.

Okay, it's a rubbish show, but they still shouldn't institute new rules, well into the competition.

Then why you watching it? And actively canvassing for the acts?

One thing I don't like from the comments is that a lot of people say the acts are crap except maybe for the bands.

Why is it that people somehow assume that bands are good?
    Because they're far less painful to listen to. They play good original music, the singers arent quite so much out of tune, if they're out of tune at all. I don't cringe listening to them like I do with all the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Last nights show was disgusting. About 3 different times during the show proceedings were haulted to remind viewers to vote for 21 Demands. Even the voice over said that because they were from Dublin they needed every single vote. Short of a big sign saying "WE WANT THIS BAND TO WIN" they pulled everything else. Even Brendan suggested during his judging of another contestant that everyone should vote for 21 Demands. How shameless is this show??

What I don't understand is how Maeve is still in the show. She cannot sing a note. I was happy to agree for a while that the RTE sound system (or whatever it's called) was very bad and that there was some excuse, but if even Brian mcfadden can sing properly in tune, there's no excuse at all.
    Maeve cannot sing in tune, there's nothing much to her voice - nevermind even being interesting - and she should barely have made it past the auditions, nevermind beating scuba dice. The bands are the only contestants I think are remotely good and they could also do with improving.
    And don't get me started on that awful, awful ear-breaking version of "mamma mia".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Wheels wrote:
    Last nights show was disgusting. About 3 different times during the show proceedings were haulted to remind viewers to vote for 21 Demands. Even the voice over said that because they were from Dublin they needed every single vote. Short of a big sign saying "WE WANT THIS BAND TO WIN" they pulled everything else. Even Brendan suggested during his judging of another contestant that everyone should vote for 21 Demands. How shameless is this show??

Admittedly it was very unorthodox and not fair to the other contestants but come on! Look at who's left. 21 Demands are the only act that come close to deserving the prize. Maeve is clearly out of her depth and David has all the star quality of a wet sock. How either of them got this far is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Watched a bit of it yesterday... Keith Duffy.....

He made me ill, he was that bad. I wanted to rip out my -- nay, HIS -- eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i watched Your A Star for the 1st time in probably ever and i wont be watching again. what a crock of ****. the judges are a joke, the performers are a joke, Keith Duffy is a joke

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have to agree its a shambles. I think the only people voting are friends and family of the acts that are left. Sure, I remember a while ago hearing that one guy didnt get enough votes and he later said that all his friends were out celebrating some GAA Match win and all forgot to text in. Pfft.

Also fully agree with earlier comments about Andy. Best performer, but was only let in because Linda and Thomas supported them from the beginning and didnt want to give them the boot.

Fair play to Brendan though for making the point. Hes what makes the show the best comedy ;)

Your one Mave has came out in the WORST clothes ever. I feel sorry for her. She seems a nice girl, and iv nothing against her but it seems whoever is the fashion artist - needs a good kick up the hole.

Keith Duffy isnt the best presenter, but funny to see him try. Has anyone else notices he seems to read from the screen in front of him? It seems to display what to say to people when talking etc.

Pitty the program is let continue, with people texting in when it makes no difference.

Advertisement