Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dismantlers & scrapping your car

Options
  • 20-02-2007 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what are my options when scrapping yoru car. I have decided it is not worth putting the money into my car to replace the clutch. It is a 98 Fiat Brava. It's currently not drivable but I am sure it has many salvagable parts, not least a full (€60) tank of petrol and 5 good tyres. Obviously no dealer will touch it for a trade-in. Do scrapyards/dismantlers generally charge to accept cars? Do you think it is worth putting an ad in the paper anyway, maybe someone would collect it for free, or perhaps I could ask a few euro for it?

I am in Cork if anyone has local knowledge...

Thanks,
    Kaz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hammond Lane accept cars for destruction. Alternatively, your local authority will have full information on how and where to dispose of the car correctly. Whatever route you take, be sure to get a certificate of destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

crosstownk wrote:
    Hammond Lane accept cars for destruction.

Do I have to pay for that?

It depends on the local authority really. Most charge a nominal fee to come and take the car. Which is in stark contrast to the fact that they will take a car from the side of the road with no number plates affixed as it is considered litter. If it has plates then they will contact the owner..............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Place an ad in your local trader or buy and sell.

Give this crowd a call............

Type of Material Recycled: Scrap cars, aluminium cans, all ferrous and non ferrous metals.

Photon

Ballygarrett,

Mallow,

Co. Cork.

Tel: 022 22173

Fax: 022 43037

• Advertisement

Thanks will investigate those options.

So where do the likes of Pouladuff Dismantlers get their cars and will they pay anything, dependant on amount of salvagable parts?

Most dismantlers/breakers buy damaged/written off cars and sell them for parts. If you want to go down this route then open the Golden pages and start ringing around. Be firm - some of these guys can drive a hard bargain.

crosstownk wrote:
    Most dismantlers/breakers buy damaged/written off cars and sell them for parts. If you want to go down this route then open the Golden pages and start ringing around. Be firm - some of these guys can drive a hard bargain.

Oh thanks that's what I wanted to know.
    Any few quid would be a bonus to me, seeing I'll have to pay to tow it wherever :(

If you're gonna tow it, give Ard Fallon a shout - they are quite reasonable. Sorry I don't have the number, but they should be in the phone directory.

No bother, thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement