Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best insulation

Options
  • 20-02-2007 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi folks,was at the self buid show in belfst at wend with a friend who's also about to self build,he's hell bent on a cavity wall so we quizzed some insulation co.s kingspan as we know do the 60mm board to meet .027 u value but he wants to go as far past that as financially possible for him,they siad they had a 100mm board but didnt have detailes there ,its not on web site or in brochoure does any one know what type of u value it gets?xtratherm say to use an 80 mm board and dry line with insulated slab to get .015,i know a lot of you are'nt fond of dry lining cause of risk of mould at the party wall meet outer wall but they say this wont happen cause of the cavity insulation sure you lose a little more heat there but they reckon its a lot better than just cavity insulation and having been in a house done like this it's def warm.aerobord recommend to use their 140mm board in a 150mm cavity and claim a u value of 0.019,is this the most simple,best and cost effective of the 3 in terms of one insulation job not 2?he's not intersted in outside insulation as he worked in europe on sites and says its too easy dented and damaged from his finding of it,although its still my own preferrded method.is the u value of these products the main thing or is there other things that determine the best insulation,is there any better cavity insulation on the market??also what are the best ways of eliminating cold bridges at windows, doors,roof etc since he insists on cavity construction.all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dude, take a breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

Ollie - did u belive what u'r being told or not?
    Do you think you'll achieve 0.15 with their solutions?
    Do YOU think there's a problem with thermal bridging at junctions?
    Seems you spent quite a bit of effort in Belfast and came back with more questions than answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ollie30

well it seems to me from reading through different threads and forums there's people who seem to know what their talking about ready to give the good sides and the bad sides of nearly every thing poeple ask about.i'm not a builder ,engineer or even connected to the trade my friend is not either,just asked in the hope some one could give definitive answers,how many products have people talked about as great only to be told different by others in the know.i would;nt have posted the thread if either of knew the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

seems to me like ollie30 might be also moonlighting as VH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭arghh

There is whole lot of figures surrounding insulating the house provided by companies and it can get confusing.You would need to go to night school and probaly then you would find out half of it is marketing/sales etcI went with Kingspan in the end as it was the only one provided by builder providers in my area.They have a help line to help with tecnical details.The only thing I would do again is(I am Not in the trade) is insulate the cavity around the window before installing the window.I am putting expanding foam in now and its a messy business and if I had it done it before the windows were installed I think I would have done a better job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ollie30

thanks arghh,thank fully someone can take me seriously.i can tell you all that both me and the person i'm asking for are 100perc. genuine.i have spoken to viking hse in relation to buying his materials which i may or may not even buy.if you check i have posted asking about block construction,my planning has been held up time and time again now my wait is legal agreements before construction,just incase anyone thinks i'm still asking early construction questions (well into '07)from my first post.my friend is in rented accomidation with no net thats why i ask for him.i hope that puts any doubt to rest and someone can help with the questions??will an insulated cavity/dry lined outer wall (prob getting 0.015)get mould and damp in later years on the party/outer wall junction??as hienbloed and viking seem to suggest.is the aerobord 140mm platinum (0.019)a better option or maybe fulfill beads??has anyone used any other product for cavity construction to improve u value.thanks

Advertisement