Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy first then get NCT?

Options
  • 20-02-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

So i left a deposit with a second hand car dealer*(with a car lot) for a car im buying. It still needs to pass an NCT and he's happy about doing this for me because its in the terms of the sale.

Thing is the nct date is only two weeks away(im in no rush) but he seems keen for me to buy the car now, then, bring it back to him the night before the nct and he will bring it to get nct'd?.

Does this seem right?. I know its doesn't sound a standard sort of transaction but would you hold firm and insist you only buy it when it gets passed or go along with his suggestion?. I want to wait but im conflicted because hes already brushed up minor defects like he said he would and ive got a good deal on it with a good trade in and he seems keen i take the car now so i want to keep things sweet.
    Im looking for advice. Whats the pitfalls of this type of arrangement or what would you?.

* For what its worth the dealer seems like a good guy and im not suspecting he's dodgy but im thinking of ways this could get messy. Ideally i want to pay for the car when it gets passed but im feeling the pressure. Also he's not putting real big pressure on me i suppose im putting a bit of pressure on myself thinking about it too much.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Assuming you are otherwise happy with it, take the car on the condition that you will get it NCT'd and that they will fix anything, I mean anything that needs doing. Get it in writing before you buy the car.

Don't let them get it NCT'd. There's too much dodgy dealing going on between dealers/mechanics and the NCT centres.

Maybe I shouldn't but I always assume the worst with "car lot" type dealers. Don't fall for the nice guy routine, I've seen it even as recently as last month where the nice guy turned out to be a complete prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Whats the pitfalls of this type of arrangement or what would you?.

I was in a similar situation 18 months ago when buying my own new (second hand) car.

While you say that you feel the dealer is trustworthy I would still recommend that you only agree to purchase the car and pay the outstanding balance upon the car having successfully passed the NCT. Make it clear that in the event of any hidden problems coming to light during the test that he will be responsible for making it right at his expense. Do not take the car away from the lot.

In my case the NCT uncovered worn bushing in the rear suspension (not exactly a major problem) but something which had not been apparent during my own preliminary examination of the vehicle.

The dealer then had to repair the problem and redo the test. It passed without problem.

Look at it this way. No matter how honest, reliable, trustworthy your dealer actually is once the sale has been completed and the money handed over you will no longer be top of his priorities. The "hard sell" will have been done and dusted and you may have difficulty in getting your dealer to show you the same level of attention and get the car NCT'd.

That's my advice anyway:cool:

Advertisement