Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave in blackrock yeay or nay

Options
  • 20-02-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

I live on grove ave in blackrock (well half way between black rock and stillorgan) and i need quick and easy net access. Will be used for casual surfing and the occasional download is Ripwave gonna be any use?

I hear its good in blackrock and download speeds of 50kb/s are being bandied about, thatd do me fine.

Anyone got any real life experience in the area? are they planning a higher rate service via the plug in box any time soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

You should be fine on Ripwave, about 3-4 IBB towers in your area giving good coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah I've seen someone I know getting 40-50kB/s in that area, was working grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Breeze is the higher speed IBB service. Different technology, outdoor Near Line of Sight aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yes, I was talking about Ripwave. They were getting 40 - 50 kB/s with it. Packet loss was fairly noticeable and pings were in the 200ms region but they were getting close enough to the advertised 512kb/s with their Ripwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

have you checked NTL? i live in stillorgan park, (near Carysfort Avenue), and ntl is available here, personally id always get a hard wired broadband solution over wireless if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah decided to go for ntl in the end!

Advertisement