Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help needed from mechanics and the knowledgable

Options
  • 20-02-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi

Im new to the motors section

to the point.
    I crashed my 97 astra last week, hit some ice at 100kph and slid, the front right hit a wall.

Air bag and seat belt were working perfectly so no damage to me.

the recovery guy said it would cost 1500 to repair, it is only worth about 2000 so not worth repairing, i got 3 quotes for scrappage, the highest was 150euros.

The car will start and a bit of work with a crowbar to free up the wheels and i was able to drive it into the garage

With it not worth anything really i decided to take it apart and sell of what was working, starter motor, p/s pump,windscreen, wheels and tyres etc.

the only problem is i havent done any work on cars before so im shooting in the dark (dont know any mechanics either). i have some experience with general mechanics on machinery but will need help with a car.

It will be mostly out of curiosity i want to do this, i think it will be usefull to understand my cars a bit better (with a view to learning basic repair and then modifying later), not really expecting to make any money. but hopefully more than 150.

so the questions are:

Is there any website i could use for help, pictures and walkthroughs etc.
    Anything i should be aware of when working on it?
    Any ideas who and where to sell the parts?

any help much appreciated,

G

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Go to your local motor factors and nuy a "Haynes Manual" for the exact model of your car and that will get you up and running!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SmoothyG

great, just checked that online, it exactly what i need, thanks a mil

now i just need to find out where to sell..........

Advertisement