Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance quote

Options
  • 20-02-2007 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

would the quinn online quotes be in anyway reliable?

i checked them there the other day, trying to find a rough figure for next years cost.

fingers crossed will have a full licence by then and a years no claims(which is what i put in)

what surprised me was the cost of my current car compared to for example a levin.

curretnly drive a 1.3 charade 97 woth bout 2k quote 1100
    put in also 98 levin 1.6 worht 9k and quoted 1350.

now i think the quote for my current car is excessivly high compared to the "sportscar"

and i know that is only an estimate but it still strikes me as odd..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Kadeshh wrote:
    would the quinn online quotes be in anyway reliable?

i checked them there the other day, trying to find a rough figure for next years cost.

fingers crossed will have a full licence by then and a years no claims(which is what i put in)

what surprised me was the cost of my current car compared to for example a levin.

curretnly drive a 1.3 charade 97 woth bout 2k quote 1100
    put in also 98 levin 1.6 worht 9k and quoted 1350.

now i think the quote for my current car is excessivly high compared to the "sportscar"

and i know that is only an estimate but it still strikes me as odd..

It's because you are on a provisional. I am also with quinn and was paying 2200/yr for a 1.0L polo worth 3k at 21 (guy). I recently got my full licence and want to upgrade to a BMW 1.9L 3 series (worth 12k). My quote was 2026 fully comp.

Insurance companies are notoriously strange with their quoting systems. Shop around, you might get a better deal. Although for me, no one even comes close to Quinn on prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

the above quote was with a full licence.

with axa on prov at the moment. they beat quinn by over 400 when i was getting quotes for that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

if you put all the details in 100% correct then the quote is spot on, my brother done it online recently and when he went up to pay he just brought the quote ref number and paid the exact amount.

i currently drive a 1.4 focus but can get insured in a ss III celica TPFT and for the same as FC on the focus and its only 500 more than the focus for fully comp, insurance is alot better these days than it was when i was starting out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Not my own personal experience but a girl i know was insured with them. Her car was stolen and pretty much written off. Quinn sent out an assesor and he gave her a figure, don't know how much. She said not to bother proceeding with the claim as it wasn't worth her while loosing her no claims, but they told her that once the claim had been started it can't be stopped, so she got a piddly small amount of cash off them, and lost her no claims. She was NOT a happy bunny by any means.

What i'm saying is be wary, they can entice you in with low quotes but if you claim, you might be a bit screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

im insured with quinn direct this year. id never claim off the insurance unless it was something mega mega serious.

charged me 960€ for fully comp on one ltr. 2 yrs ncb and prov license.

was with axa for first year and they charged me 1600 and wanted 1361 for second year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Kadeshh wrote:
    with axa on prov at the moment. they beat quinn by over 400 when i was getting quotes for that

Same with myself.

I was with Quinn for 3 year's (Under my own name) and was quoted €850 for provisional insurance. AXA quoted me €730 for full comprehensive insurance.

IMO, Quinn will only give you enough insurance to get on the road. Even your windscreen isn't covered (Techincally it is, but nopt until it exceeds €150, so in reality you have to pay for the windscreen). Quinn may beat people on prices (Most of the time) but the cover isn't great, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I will be trying to get away from QD when my policy is up in May. Even if AXA are a little bit more i would pay it, as there cover is usually better.

Hopefully with my 5yrs NCB, me being 26 for my new policy and with the added bonus of my recently obtained Full Licence i will get a pretty good quote from other companies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Kadeshh wrote:
    Really? I got quoted €2,700 from Axa on my first provisional for a 1.3 Fiesta! I regret not laughing in that woman's face. I got quoted like €1800 with Quinn and €2300 with Hibernian who I went with in the end, because they seem to have actual cover and the ignition course and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

I am 23 with full licence 2 yr ncb, I got insured third party on passat tdi (130bhp) for 870. Was with axa they quoted 1350 to renew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I getting my insurance renewed in March. First insurance March 2006, passed my test Dec. 2006. I will be 24 at the renewal date.

The quote from FBD is about €730 for a '99 1.3L Nissan Almera, Third party, and no-claims bonus protection.

They're giving me some money back for having the test passed so the final quote taking this into account will be €600.

I think that's pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

They're giving me some money back for having the test passed so the final quote taking this into account will be €600.

I think that's pretty decent.

Is that Third Party of Fully Comp???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

With Quinn Direct, good renewal quote this year so I won't bother shopping around. Don't give a hoot how they deal with claims as I am on third party f & t so I won't ever be claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wingnut wrote:
    .. I am on third party f & t so I won't ever be claiming.
    Why have f&t at all then, unless it's cheaper?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

wingnut wrote:
    With Quinn Direct, good renewal quote this year so I won't bother shopping around. Don't give a hoot how they deal with claims as I am on third party f & t so I won't ever be claiming.

You should put the same details from your renewal into the QD online quote and its generally cheaper, and ya ring up, give them the new quote number and they usually match it. might save ya a few quid, i save 260 this year doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

gatecrash wrote:
    once the claim had been started it can't be stopped
    BS!! I had a claim with them recently and decided to withdraw it after the assessor came out to meet me, no hassle. Only thing the assessor said to me was the car was so well kept twas worth €7-800 over market value!

I'm a 22 year old male with 2 years named driving experience on a 2yr old clean Full License. First policy out on my own, insured Fully Comp with NCB protection & windscreen cover on a 1998 1.6 16v Vectra. Car was valued at €1200 and my insurance was €958.

revalued the car to €2800 on Tuesday and somehow my policy dropped to €850, still fully comp!! delighted with the price but would be a bit worried if I had a major claim in as I get the impression they would do as much wriggling as possible before paying up.

bigkev49 wrote:
    BS!! I had a claim with them recently and decided to withdraw it after the assessor came out to meet me, no hassle. Only thing the assessor said to me was the car was so well kept twas worth €7-800 over market value!

I'm a 22 year old male with 2 years named driving experience on a 2yr old clean Full License. First policy out on my own, insured Fully Comp with NCB protection & windscreen cover on a 1998 1.6 16v Vectra. Car was valued at €1200 and my insurance was €958.

revalued the car to €2800 on Tuesday and somehow my policy dropped to €850, still fully comp!! delighted with the price but would be a bit worried if I had a major claim in as I get the impression they would do as much wriggling as possible before paying up.

Read the full post. NOT MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

I started driving 10 months ago on my second provisional. got my 106 GTi insured for
    €3k on my own name just TP. bough my levin BZ-R last week quote actually comes down €1-200 at least. Still expensive considering the cars only worth €8,500 but im 21 and until im 25 i'll be afraid to claim. they have ya by the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

gatecrash wrote:
    Read the full post. NOT MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

So by saying "not my personal experience" you exempt your post from being challenged?!?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Dont bother with putting in values on QD's system for less than €2500 - My insurance went down €400 changing the value to €4500...

bigkev49 wrote:
    So by saying "not my personal experience" you exempt your post from being challenged?!?!:rolleyes:

No, but it would be inadmissable in court as its heresay!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Is that Third Party of Fully Comp???

Third party.

Advertisement