Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless connection

• 20-02-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

hi everyone hope you can help
    i have eircom broadband in my house with the wireless router they supply has been working grand untill now the connection keeps dropping i have a dell laptopand when i open up the internet i cant search the net or do anything on the icon on the screen comes up there is a network in range but when i try connect to it nothing happens some times when the wireless link icon has a red x on it i can open up internet pages and have no problems for about 5 or 10 mins and i lose the connection can anyone help me with this it i run a cable from the router to the laptop it works fine

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Had exactly the same issue, perlico wireless modem/router with dell laptop. Have a PC with external card as well. With both, the wireless connection would break after a few minutes, LAN cable connection worked ok. The wireless connection would restore if I right clicked the icon you mentioned and clicked repair even though the icon would remain red and 'no connection' was displayed. Funny thing was that the laptop would connect to a wireless hotspot or a friends router no problem so I blamed the router, especially as both computers displayed the same behaviour. I persuaded perlico to send me a new router after a lot of calls to their tech support. When I set it up- no difference at all. In desperation I got an external wireless card and fitted it to the laptop and it worked immediatly and the icon went blue and showed 'connected'. The PC then connected as well. Strange thing is that the internal card then started to work normally in the laptop and still does, both computers now connect even to the old router. The whole thing is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's been said by engineers (for 100 years) that Wireless is a black art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭tomster

sparksfly wrote:
    Had exactly the same issue, perlico wireless modem/router with dell laptop. Have a PC with external card as well. With both, the wireless connection would break after a few minutes, LAN cable connection worked ok. The wireless connection would restore if I right clicked the icon you mentioned and clicked repair even though the icon would remain red and 'no connection' was displayed. Funny thing was that the laptop would connect to a wireless hotspot or a friends router no problem so I blamed the router, especially as both computers displayed the same behaviour. I persuaded perlico to send me a new router after a lot of calls to their tech support. When I set it up- no difference at all. In desperation I got an external wireless card and fitted it to the laptop and it worked immediatly and the icon went blue and showed 'connected'. The PC then connected as well. Strange thing is that the internal card then started to work normally in the laptop and still does, both computers now connect even to the old router. The whole thing is a mystery.

start>run>services.msc - try to find DellWireless service - startup type set as Disabled, stop the service. Then start WirelessZeroConfiguration service. configure wireless from CP/Netw Connections, reboot laptop. May help.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Hi Mick, id suggest disabling WEP if you have it enabled as i believe Netopia routers arent great at handling it and they run into problems. Id also disable the firewall for the time being at least. Back to basics. You can add in MAC filtering later. I did this for a friend that was having the exact same problem and this seems to have fixed the problem. I acted on this advice from a new work colleague that came from Eircom broadband support, so its on good advice! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Hi Mick, id suggest disabling WEP if you have it enabled as i believe Netopia routers arent great at handling it and they run into problems. Id also disable the firewall for the time being at least. Back to basics. You can add in MAC filtering later. I did this for a friend that was having the exact same problem and this seems to have fixed the problem. I acted on this advice from a new work colleague that came from Eircom broadband support, so its on good advice! :-)

I wouldn't necessarily call it good advice removing your security features, yes WEP can be broken anyways but turning off the firewall as well does just to sort a connection problem is a bit OTT, why not just invest in a decent firewall/modem/router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

moving to wireless

Advertisement