Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text to PDF convertion

Options
  • 20-02-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a scripting solution for converting text files to pdfs? I need it to run on a TRU-64 box. I thought I had the answer http://www.sanface.com/txt2pdf.html
    the license for which costs $120, not bad, except you have to shell out $900 to get the pro version which recognises form feeds, the cheap ass one doesn't.:mad: Can't believe they don't support form feeds for 120 bucks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check out PDFCreator on www.sourceforge.net

It's free, and it even allows to schedule batches of files for conversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

has to work on UNIX. I found a free perl based convertor ascii2pdf but it requires the PDF::Create module which I can't get to install probably because I can't su :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

You could try using XSL formatting objects
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSL_Formatting_Objects

but if that is overkill and you just need to convert plain text into a pdf then a few lines of python could that by annotating some simple latex commands around the text and calling pdflatex in a call to the os module.

my main problem is that the admins where I work barely know how to spell UNIX therefore getting them to install something..Id rather gouge holes in my thighs with spoons, so python is out, also php, java, etc. I'll give xsl-fo a go, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MoominPapa wrote:
    has to work on UNIX. I found a free perl based convertor ascii2pdf but it requires the PDF::Create module which I can't get to install probably because I can't su :(
    You should be able to install the module into your home dir or another dir that you have write access to. Then add the dir to the @INC list:
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    use lib '/path/above/pdf/create/module';
    use PDF::Create;

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    You should be able to install the module into your home dir or another dir that you have write access to. Then add the dir to the @INC list:
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    use lib '/path/above/pdf/create/module';
    use PDF::Create;

:D Cheers! Thats works fine, nifty little tool, thanks for the help.

Advertisement