Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mic advice please!

Options
  • 20-02-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm finally taking the plunge and starting my condenser mic collection. At the moment the only project planned is a couple of recordings I want to make of a female singer/acoustic guitarist. I'd love to get my hands on a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers, like Rode NT5s which I used to make some really nice stereo guitar recordings in college.

Trouble is, I need to do a good job of recording vocals too and I'm wondering if a small diaphragm condenser would be up to the job. My budget is very small so I can't afford a large diaphragm mic AND a small stereo pair. I was hoping to spend less than €200 including lead(s), stand(s) and a popshield so I have my eyes on Thomann's t.bone mics: http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tbone.html

I know they're pure bargain basement stuff but my needs are humble and I've heard they're amazing value for money. So has anyone got advice on what I can get away with buying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

cornbb wrote:
    Hi guys. I'm finally taking the plunge and starting my condenser mic collection. At the moment the only project planned is a couple of recordings I want to make of a female singer/acoustic guitarist. I'd love to get my hands on a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers, like Rode NT5s which I used to make some really nice stereo guitar recordings in college.

Trouble is, I need to do a good job of recording vocals too and I'm wondering if a small diaphragm condenser would be up to the job. My budget is very small so I can't afford a large diaphragm mic AND a small stereo pair. I was hoping to spend less than €200 including lead(s), stand(s) and a popshield so I have my eyes on Thomann's t.bone mics: http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tbone.html

I know they're pure bargain basement stuff but my needs are humble and I've heard they're amazing value for money. So has anyone got advice on what I can get away with buying?

I would try a matched pair of MS 2s from www.naiant.com
    A matched pair with the collars will cost you €60 including shipping to Ireland. That gives you €140 to spend on a LDC. Are you sure you need a condensor for vocals? It does depend on the vocalist, but some people are more comfortable with a good dynamic. It really is down to the singer but depending on your environment and the singers ability, dynamics are sometimes a better bet. Although, give the TB1 a look:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/prod_cbundle_219.html?gk=migr&cbcid=1302&art=65316

Think you can bundle the mic and stand too.

The thing that's gonna hurt in this is the cables and mic stands. If you're going dynamic, this is a good bet:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_e835_s_bundle.htm

Oh and if you were thinking of using a Small Diaphragm Condensor for vocals, I wouldn't it's a bit of a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

TelePaul wrote:
    Oh and if you were thinking of using a Small Diaphragm Condensor for vocals, I wouldn't it's a bit of a no-no.

Mm, thats what I was thinking. I had my heart set on a stereo pair but I think it might make more sense to get a LDC for maybe €150 or so and live with a mono acoustic guitar recording.

cornbb wrote:
    Mm, thats what I was thinking. I had my heart set on a stereo pair but I think it might make more sense to get a LDC for maybe €150 or so and live with a mono acoustic guitar recording.

Go stereo naiants and a dynamic. If you get the sm58 or similiar, it'll be there long after those Joe Meeks have up and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I've a pair of NT5s and they're very harsh on vocals, as most SDC are. Before I got an NT2A for vocals I used an SM57/58 over an NT5.

But if you already have a dynamic that does an acceptable job on vocals I'd get the best SDC stereo pair you can, especially if you're recording solo acoustic guitar. Having a stereo pair is always useful and will serve you well.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think I'll go for the stereo pair, they'll be more practical in the long run and it looks like I'll be able to borrow a large diaphragm AudioTechnica to take care of the vocals. Now its just a matter of making an economical decision and getting a pair of t.bones or the splash-out decision to get a pair of NT5s... watch this space!

Right, I've ordered a set of these...

http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tbone_sc140_stereoset.htm

...because they look cool and I'm a cheaparse. they're supposedly pretty good for the price, I'll post a review here once I get em.

Advertisement